Corsair Community

Dodgy Memory Module?

Hi, My son bought a XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2 512MB memory Module from Overclockers UK on 23rd December 2004 as an upgrade as he plays Operation Fash Point and needed the extra memory.He already had a similar memory module fitted so this brought his total memory up to 1024. After the install he started to get problems with Blue screens,freezing within a game and problems with the Windows XP boot-up. He didnt think this was anything to do with the new memory (they never go wrong, do they?) so he started to change other components in order to solve the problem.

He has ended up with a GigabyteGA-K8NS Pro 939 motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor and a Western Digital 74 Gb 1000RPM (Raptor) and the same problems, which is where I come in. We went through a complete re-install of his PC but while installing Windows XP plus SP2 it failed and gave an error code that pointed to the memory as an issue. We removed one SIMM and restarted, the same thing happened, we swapped the SIMMs and everything was OK, all the programms installed and ran OK untill the offending RAM was replace into the PC, when the problems returned.

I can only assume that after all this time it was the RAM that was the problem, What are your views?

Can you tell me our modules part# and revision of both modules

CMX512-3200C2PT and the Bios settings =havn't been changed from the factory settings. Strange that one set works and the other dosen't? They are identical modules.

Archived