Corsair Community

High Elite Capellix Coolant Temps?

I'm running a Ryzen 9 5900x with a top-mounted H150i Elite Capellix AIO in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic case with 6 QL case fans and 3 ML fans on the radiator. I noticed that the liquid gets quite warm under minimal load with things like web browsing. If I run the Balanced fan curve, once the liquid temperatures reach 35 C, the fans get pretty noisy at 50%+ speed. Changing to the Quiet fan curve doesn't help much, since that just makes the liquid heat up even more, eventually resulting in loud fans. If I define my own custom curve at a fan speed I deem acceptable for light PC use (< 1000 rpm) then the coolant temps seem to equilibrate around 42 C. Again, this is just idle to light CPU usage. Playing Cyberpunk, the coolant heats up to around 48 C and takes forever to come back down after exiting the game.

This seems abnormally high, as I also have an NZXT Kraken Z63 280 mm AIO attached to my 4790K in my old build and the liquid temperatures stay sub to low-30s on a similar fan curve to the Balanced preset. I'm not sure whether Corsair is using a different type of coolant that heats up easier. On the Balanced preset, my CPU temps are pretty normal in the 30s - 40s while performing mundane tasks with occasional spikes to the 50s/60s. On my custom relaxed preset, it idles closer to the high 40s once the coolant heats up. It seems like these fans aren't very efficient at cooling the radiator, as I have to run them at max speed for 10 minutes or so to get the coolant temps down to the low 30s.

This is actually the second Elite Capellix AIO I've gone through; I returned the first due to a noisy pump, though it also had high liquid temperatures as well. Ambient temperature is ~22 C, it's winter time and in a basement. From a cold boot, the coolant starts at 25 C and constantly creeps up from there. I've tried setting the radiator fans to both exhaust and intake which didn't seem to make much of a difference. I've repasted this CPU about five times now as well.

Are these liquid temperatures normal? Or perhaps the 5900x just runs hot and this is a sign that the coolant is doing its job?

Edited by omgitsrichie

+15-17C over ambient at idle seems too high for me. It seems like you have the radiator as top exhaust. So bottom and side are intake? This seems like too much to be a airflow issue, but take of the large side glass off at idle and see what happens.

The gpu will certainly heat up the inside so the Cyberpunk results don’t surprise me. The prolonged time after gaming at high temps suggests environmental heat, but can also be a restricted cooler. How does the 48C compare to something like the motherboard sensor or any other internal temp data?

+15-17C over ambient at idle seems too high for me. It seems like you have the radiator as top exhaust. So bottom and side are intake? This seems like too much to be a airflow issue, but take of the large side glass off at idle and see what happens.

The gpu will certainly heat up the inside so the Cyberpunk results don’t surprise me. The prolonged time after gaming at high temps suggests environmental heat, but can also be a restricted cooler. How does the 48C compare to something like the motherboard sensor or any other internal temp data?

Currently the radiator is set to top intake, with the bottom case fans also being intake and the sides being exhaust. I originally had the radiator set to exhaust with bottom/sides intake, but tried reversing it in hopes of remedying the issue.

With the side panels off and at idle, the coolant temp reaches about 34.5 C (Balanced preset) or 38-39 C (relaxed custom curve). So about 2 C cooler.

I've never really paid much attention to motherboard temperatures but it seems like mine sits at 37 C at idle and hits 45 C under load. I guess this is pretty close to the liquid temps I've been seeing, though I don't feel like my motherboard temperatures are abnormal?

Specific to the O11D/XL, using the side vertical section as exhaust will restricted by the small side glass. I have both cases and while you might think it would simply pull air from around the glass, that is not how it works out. Most O11 owners will want to use the MB side mount as intake unless they are content to live with the small side glass off. For an air cooled GPU, that side 3x120 is probably the best place for the H150i as intake, along with the bottom. That lets the heat go up and out the top and passive back venting -- directly away from the radiator that is now a little more protected from GPU heat in the rear chamber.

However all that said, when I ran the O11D as a dual 360mm radiator exhaust and completely passive intake from the rear and bottom, my idle coolant temps were no where close your levels. My max load levels were about your idle temps in the Winter with a similar 22C ambient. Something isn't quite right. The part I don't like is with the glass off and a 22C room ambient, it should take deliberate gaming load or hours of idle time before you should see a coolant temp creep to +13C over ambient and frankly I don't think it should ever be +13C over ambient at idle in that case.

Are you using dust filters or anything else on the radiator location that might add to the lack of airflow? Still, if the MB is reading 37C at idle then the case temp is that warm too. I think you need to treat this like a heat management issue, but you can run a quick cooler test to make sure it is basically functional.

Try using the CPU-Z Bench "stress test" for a quick assessment. It is relatively moderate in difficulty and linear, so it makes it easy to see how the coolant and CPU temp change together. You only need to run it 5-10 min and I would expect about a 6-7C increase on a 5900X. Coolant change is watts in vs watts out so it generally can be predicted. I would try with the glass off first. We are trying to confirm basic cooler functionality. Glass on vs off will be part of the what to do next decision.

In addition to all that, also check what you have running in background when you are in "Idle".

Ryzen heats up a lot on shot spikes of usage courtesy of ridiculous PBO voltages.

Maybe check if your motherboard has a bios update with AGESA 1180 or later. This one introduces adaptive undervolting, to keep those light task voltages in check. I don't know if it's been deployed yet but it should help a lot keeping your CPU cool under light load.

Specific to the O11D/XL, using the side vertical section as exhaust will restricted by the small side glass. I have both cases and while you might think it would simply pull air from around the glass, that is not how it works out. Most O11 owners will want to use the MB side mount as intake unless they are content to live with the small side glass off. For an air cooled GPU, that side 3x120 is probably the best place for the H150i as intake, along with the bottom. That lets the heat go up and out the top and passive back venting -- directly away from the radiator that is now a little more protected from GPU heat in the rear chamber.

However all that said, when I ran the O11D as a dual 360mm radiator exhaust and completely passive intake from the rear and bottom, my idle coolant temps were no where close your levels. My max load levels were about your idle temps in the Winter with a similar 22C ambient. Something isn't quite right. The part I don't like is with the glass off and a 22C room ambient, it should take deliberate gaming load or hours of idle time before you should see a coolant temp creep to +13C over ambient and frankly I don't think it should ever be +13C over ambient at idle in that case.

Are you using dust filters or anything else on the radiator location that might add to the lack of airflow? Still, if the MB is reading 37C at idle then the case temp is that warm too. I think you need to treat this like a heat management issue, but you can run a quick cooler test to make sure it is basically functional.

Try using the CPU-Z Bench "stress test" for a quick assessment. It is relatively moderate in difficulty and linear, so it makes it easy to see how the coolant and CPU temp change together. You only need to run it 5-10 min and I would expect about a 6-7C increase on a 5900X. Coolant change is watts in vs watts out so it generally can be predicted. I would try with the glass off first. We are trying to confirm basic cooler functionality. Glass on vs off will be part of the what to do next decision.

In addition to all that, also check what you have running in background when you are in "Idle".

Ryzen heats up a lot on shot spikes of usage courtesy of ridiculous PBO voltages.

Maybe check if your motherboard has a bios update with AGESA 1180 or later. This one introduces adaptive undervolting, to keep those light task voltages in check. I don't know if it's been deployed yet but it should help a lot keeping your CPU cool under light load.

Welp, I pulled my 5-year-old NZXT Kraken x61 280 mm AIO from the closet and did a very quick half-assed job slapping it on just to see what temps looked like. I just used a blob of Arctic Silver and even took the pump off once to adjust the bracket without reapplying the paste.

Setting a fan curve in CAM that mirrors iCUE's Balanced preset, my liquid temps now sit at 29 C idle and get up to 35 C max under load after an extended Cyberpunk session. This is much more in line with what I expected. CPU temps have also gone down about 10 C across the board, now idling in the low 30s and 40s while barely going over 70 under load (mostly stayed in the 60s while gaming). 50% fan speed will peg the liquid at 35 C, though if I opt for something more silent like 30% fan speed, the liquid still only reaches about 38 C under load.

So I've concluded that the Elite Capellix is either somehow straight up inferior to this 5-year-old AIO or I've somehow received 2 defective units in a row. Not sure if I should take my chances with a third or just look into other brands at this point lol.

Edited by omgitsrichie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I'm running a Ryzen 9 5900x with a top-mounted H150i Elite Capellix AIO in a Lian Li O11 Dynamic case with 6 QL case fans and 3 ML fans on the radiator. I noticed that the liquid gets quite warm under minimal load with things like web browsing. If I run the Balanced fan curve, once the liquid temperatures reach 35 C, the fans get pretty noisy at 50%+ speed. Changing to the Quiet fan curve doesn't help much, since that just makes the liquid heat up even more, eventually resulting in loud fans. If I define my own custom curve at a fan speed I deem acceptable for light PC use (< 1000 rpm) then the coolant temps seem to equilibrate around 42 C. Again, this is just idle to light CPU usage. Playing Cyberpunk, the coolant heats up to around 48 C and takes forever to come back down after exiting the game.

This seems abnormally high, as I also have an NZXT Kraken Z63 280 mm AIO attached to my 4790K in my old build and the liquid temperatures stay sub to low-30s on a similar fan curve to the Balanced preset. I'm not sure whether Corsair is using a different type of coolant that heats up easier. On the Balanced preset, my CPU temps are pretty normal in the 30s - 40s while performing mundane tasks with occasional spikes to the 50s/60s. On my custom relaxed preset, it idles closer to the high 40s once the coolant heats up. It seems like these fans aren't very efficient at cooling the radiator, as I have to run them at max speed for 10 minutes or so to get the coolant temps down to the low 30s.

This is actually the second Elite Capellix AIO I've gone through; I returned the first due to a noisy pump, though it also had high liquid temperatures as well. Ambient temperature is ~22 C, it's winter time and in a basement. From a cold boot, the coolant starts at 25 C and constantly creeps up from there. I've tried setting the radiator fans to both exhaust and intake which didn't seem to make much of a difference. I've repasted this CPU about five times now as well.

Are these liquid temperatures normal? Or perhaps the 5900x just runs hot and this is a sign that the coolant is doing its job?

Another data point: I have a very similar setup, but with a 5950x in a PC-O11D. Same fans too: 3x bottom QLs as intake, MLs top mounted as intake (with H150i radiator), and 3x QLs as side exhaust. My idle coolant is a little under 35 C. I’ve set my fans to all quiet, pump as balanced. I don’t have Cyberpunk, but running Warzone BR, coolant gets up to 40 C. I also had to change out my H150i as there was a pump failure with my first one (literally brand new)

• 1 month later...

I have similar build as OP. 5900x ryzen 9 with RTX 3090 MSI suprim. At idle I get around 39 deg celsius and just under 50 deg celsius for the pump temp under gaming load. (using the h150i elite cappelix. Is this normal? Fans are QLs and set to default quiet profile. Is performance drastically different if I use the included MLs?

Further information. H150 radiator is installed on the top as exhaust. 3 side QL fans are intake and 2 bottom QL fans as intake. I do have the fan filters that came with the case. One on top of the radiator. one on the bottom and one on the side fan area.

Edited by jawsofwar

I have similar build as OP. 5900x ryzen 9 with RTX 3090 MSI suprim. At idle I get around 39 deg celsius and just under 50 deg celsius for the pump temp under gaming load.

ML might make a slight difference (1-2C), but not really worth fussing over unless you are at a specific temp limit. The delta for gaming (39 to 50C) is basically at the +10C I generally quote as expected. It's the 39C baseline that is higher.

How does this compare your internal case or room temps? Most people will idle about 4-7C above the room temp, but this is very case and power level specific. Someone with a TR on High Performance in a glass box is going to be quite high, while an old Sandy Bridge that drops to 0.60v and stays there will be quite low. This seems to be where you are losing ground.

You may want to go to a manual fan curve. Even the quiet one will blast the fans at 40C and that is idle. If the interior temp is also 39C, there is nothing you can do with the fans to make it less.

ML might make a slight difference (1-2C), but not really worth fussing over unless you are at a specific temp limit. The delta for gaming (39 to 50C) is basically at the +10C I generally quote as expected. It's the 39C baseline that is higher.

How does this compare your internal case or room temps? Most people will idle about 4-7C above the room temp, but this is very case and power level specific. Someone with a TR on High Performance in a glass box is going to be quite high, while an old Sandy Bridge that drops to 0.60v and stays there will be quite low. This seems to be where you are losing ground.

You may want to go to a manual fan curve. Even the quiet one will blast the fans at 40C and that is idle. If the interior temp is also 39C, there is nothing you can do with the fans to make it less.

Yeah the Delta for gaming doesn't necessarily Alert me. FWIW I took the fan filters out and it did make around a 3 deg celsius improvement. Room temp is 71deg F or 22 deg celsius. So having an idle temp in the high 30s seems strange.

Could the culprit just be the 3090 radiating that much heat in the case?

I know the 3000 series have some idle power issues right now, but that still seems a bit much for me. My preferred spot for an AIO in that case is in the side as intake. However, before considering a move, it might be good to figure out if things are cooler over there or abnormally warm up top. Not sure if you have a surface temp thermometer around, but even the ones for people will work on non-reflective surfaces to at least give you a ball park value.

Also check in Nvidia's control panel 3D settings, that power settings is set to Normal, and not max performance.. that little setting, to my knowledge has no impact on performance, but can change your idle power from 110 - 120W to around 40.

You may save a few °C on account of that.

Also check in Nvidia's control panel 3D settings, that power settings is set to Normal, and not max performance.. that little setting, to my knowledge has no impact on performance, but can change your idle power from 110 - 120W to around 40.

You may save a few °C on account of that.

Looks like the power settings on Nvidia's control panel are set to normal. I do have the "gaming" bios selected though on the suprim. I want to say that just sets the fan curve for the 3d card.

I know the 3000 series have some idle power issues right now, but that still seems a bit much for me. My preferred spot for an AIO in that case is in the side as intake. However, before considering a move, it might be good to figure out if things are cooler over there or abnormally warm up top. Not sure if you have a surface temp thermometer around, but even the ones for people will work on non-reflective surfaces to at least give you a ball park value.

It is definitely pretty warm on top. Not sure how much warm is abnormal. I do not have a thermometer to gauge it atm.

its the GDDR6x. runs pretty hot.

before watercooling i had temperatures in the high 50s at idle and up to 92° under load.

So the backplate can run pretty hot but that's normal.

Possibly that is the reason. This morning I monitored the liquid temps on the pump starting the computer out cold (22deg celsius) and it gradually climbed on idle up to 35 deg celsius. The gradual heat increase from the gddr6 of the 3090 heating the case?

Also should I ignore the Emergency Shutdown message on ICUE next to the Pump Temp?

Also should I ignore the Emergency Shutdown message on ICUE next to the Pump Temp?

That is just a poorly designed UI.

It is not a "warning" it just shows that the software is set to initiate an emergency shutdown IF the temperatures reach the set level.