Corsair Community

RM850i does not go into zero RPM mode

c1em3ntchua

As per title. Power in and power out are about 190W and 170W on idle. According to the fan curve, the PSU fan should be idle, but iCue indicates that it is spinning at about 500RPM.

While trying to configure the fan curve in 'Performance' tab, the minimum % RPM I can set is 40%.

There was a thread previously about this issue back in 2015, but there was no solution.

Please help. TIA.

Hi buddy... quick question. much in the way of RGB in that case of yours?.

Quite a bit. 6 QL120s, 4 ML120 RGBs, a few Phanteks Neon strips, Lian Li Strimer Plus (24+8pin), and the casing itself.

PSU fan still spins even when all RGBs are set to off.

Edited by c1em3ntchua

• Corsair Employee
Quite a bit. 6 QL120s, 4 ML120 RGBs, a few Phanteks Neon strips, Lian Li Strimer Plus (24+8pin), and the casing itself.

PSU fan still spins even when all RGBs are set to off.

How long did you wait after turning all of the RGB off for the fan to stop? Could take as long as 10 minutes.

Also, the intake grill for the PSU in that case looks horribly restrictive. If you take that side panel off, does the PSU act any differently?

Edited by jonnyguru

if you have a high load on the 5V rail (RGB) , it will spin just for that one, and may take some time to cool off too.

Stupid question but, the fan is aligned with the case panel? just getting the obvious ones out of the way ^^

Let me look into the 5V loading. Yes, the PSU fan is aligned with the case grills.

How long did you wait after turning all of the RGB off for the fan to stop? Could take as long as 10 minutes.

Also, the intake grill for the PSU in that case looks horribly restrictive. If you take that side panel off, does the PSU act any differently?

It was still spinning more than 10 min after RGB have been turned off. Tried with the side panel off too. iCUE reports PSU temperature at 27C, which seems cool enough.

when its doing it.. if you apply a custom curve to it... then re apply the default one.. does it go back to zero unless the RGB is going?

if its the RGB causing it.. White is the worst offender.

I have the same PSU.. its 5v rail has a 25a limit. what you have hooked up would have my psu fan spinning also.. no real way around it other than going for a 1200w psu or higher as they have a 30a 5v limit.. not that its a huge amount more and still fairly easy to overload it..

hoping this growing trend brings us RGB specific PSU's.. and i don't mean an RGB fan lol. although it would be nice hahaha

Edited by Zotty

when its doing it.. if you apply a custom curve to it... then re apply the default one.. does it go back to zero unless the RGB is going?

if its the RGB causing it.. White is the worst offender.

I have the same PSU.. its 5v rail has a 25a limit. what you have hooked up would have my psu fan spinning also.. no real way around it other than going for a 1200w psu or higher as they have a 30a 5v limit.. not that its a huge amount more and still fairly east to over load it..

hoping this growing trend brings us RGB specific PSU's.. and i don't mean an RGB fan lol. although it would be nice hahaha

That fixed it! Applied a custom curve then reapplied the default preset and it's at 0 RPM now even with RGB on. Thanks Zotty!

That fixed it! Applied a custom curve then reapplied the default preset and it's at 0 RPM now even with RGB on. Thanks Zotty!

No worries man.... imho... apply a custom curve to it so the fan is always running. mine tends to sit around 750rpm unless being abused, saves it being triggered and jumping to auditable levels..

either way, Glad you are sorted

• Corsair Employee

WEIRD!

Glad it worked but... WEIRD!

Can't say I've seen that before. But I'll remember it for next time!

No worries man.... imho... apply a custom curve to it so the fan is always running. mine tends to sit around 750rpm unless being abused, saves it being triggered and jumping to auditable levels..

either way, Glad you are sorted

Thanks! On your advice, I have set a custom fan curve for my PSU.