Corsair Community

Will Corsair Value PC3200 work in DIM4550

bfrank

Would either of these modules work at the voltage and settings supplied by my Dell Dimension 4550? The BIOS doesn't allow me to select any of the memory settings. What values are in the SPD of these modules for running them at 333MHz?

VS512MB400C3

VS512MB400

Info for DIM4550 as supplied by AIDA32, PCWizard & CPU-Z :

CHIPSET INFO:

Chipset: Intel Brookdale i845PE

Frequency: 133 MHz

FSB/RAM Multiplier: 1/1x

In-Order Queue Depth: 12

CAS Latency: 2.5T

RAS To CAS Delay: 3T

RAS Precharge: 3T

RAS Active Time: 6T

DRAM Idle Timer: 16clocks

SPD EEPROM(Dell original memory):

Infineon 64D16301GU6B , 128MB (1row, 4banks), unbuffered, NonECC, PC2700(166Mhz), 64bit

Module Voltage: SSTL 2.5v

Refresh Rate: Reduced (.5x) 7.8µs, Self-Refresh

Supported Frequencies: 133MHz, 166MHz

CAS Latency (tCL): 2 clocks@133MH, 2.5 clocks@166MHz

RAS to CAS (tRCD): 3 clocks@133MH, 3 clocks@166MHz

RAS Precharge (tRP): 3 clocks@133MH, 3 clocks@166MHz

Cycle Time (tRAS): 6 clocks@133MH, 7 clocks@166MHz

Memory Module Features: Differential Clock Input - Supported

No, you would need to use our system select modules with this system, either CMSS256MB-2700 or CMSS512MB-2700!

Why is that? Would the voltage required be more than my motherboard could supply, or are the timings in the modules SPD different than what it could support?

I was hoping to be able to use the PC3200 in an upgrade machine in the future.

How about VS512MB333 then?

I'm either going to buy memory at a similar price to Corsair Value Select or none at all - not System Select at twice the price.

• Corsair Employee
Well you are welcome to try anything you like, but if the modules you install do not meet the MB makers requirements it may not post. Or it may not be stable, and I would not suggest mixing memory with this system or may revert to PC-2100 speed. And System Select is not that much more expensive. It does cost a bit more, but they are made to be compatible with your system.

Well you are welcome to try anything you like, but if the modules you install do not meet the MB makers requirements it may not post. Or it may not be stable, and I would not suggest mixing memory with this system or may revert to PC-2100 speed. And System Select is not that much more expensive. It does cost a bit more, but they are made to be compatible with your system.

But that's what I'm asking - Do any of the Value Select modules meet the MB makers requirements? The Comparator recommends them for other Intel boards with the same chipset.

I am intending to buy a 2 module Value Select kit, so I won't be mixing memory.

• Corsair Employee
I have answered this in my last post. But to be clear System Select modules would meet the MB/System builders specification and are gaurenteed to be compatible with your system. Value select modules are built to our specification and may or may not be compatible with your system. And I would not suggest using Value Select unless you replace the modules you have installed now. In addition, I would not suggest using a faster speed grade than your system will run at as many OEM systems will not post unless you use the memory they are rated for.

I have answered this in my last post. But to be clear System Select modules would meet the MB/System builders specification and are gaurenteed to be compatible with your system. Value select modules are built to our specification and may or may not be compatible with your system. And I would not suggest using Value Select unless you replace the modules you have installed now. In addition, I would not suggest using a faster speed grade than your system will run at as many OEM systems will not post unless you use the memory they are rated for.

Thank you. Then you're suggesting I can use Value Select PC2700 modules as long as I don't mix them with different ones.

But I also was trying to ask if you could tell me what are the specific settings for voltage and timing in the SPD EEPROMs of the Value Select modules at @166MHz.

• Corsair Employee
DDR 1 Voltage is set by the MB maker and JEDEC spec for PC-2700 calls for 2.55 Volts and DDR333 +- 1.0 Volt as I remember and for DDR400 it should be 2.65 Volts at +-1.2 Volts. The timings for VSXXXMB333 would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and for VSXXXMB400 would be Cass 2.5-3-3-8!

Thanks for your help, that makes it pretty clear. Then I think it's likely the VS512MB333 would be worth taking a chance on having work. I'll have to find out from NewEgg if I can return it if it doesn't.

I'm assuming the SPD timings and voltage requirements you quoted for VSXXXMB400 would be for running it at 333MHz. Is that correct?

Would they be the same for VSXXXMB400C3 at 333MHz?

• Corsair Employee
Again, your system will not post if you install a DDR400 module. The MB maker did not include all of the information need to decode a faster modules SPD. And the timings will be the same Cass 2.5-3-3-8 for VS512MB400 when you run it at DDR333. and VS512MB400C3 would be Cass 3-3-3-8 or Cass 3-4-4-8.

Thanks again, I appreciate your taking the time and trouble to clarify things for me. It seems to be the common assumption of other computer users that PC3200 should work in a DIM4550 because PC3200 is backward compatabile with PC2700. However the only post I found from anyone who's actually tried it states that it didn't work for him, although this was in 2002 with a module that wasn't JEDEC compliant as I understand it.

I'll give the VS512MB333 a go then. I don't see why it shouldn't work.

It's a DELL. Simple answer. Their BIOSes are locked down tight. Most likely it's seeing the SPD marked as 400 Mhz and just refusing to do anything. Most OEMs do the same thing, but DELL is pickier than most. Believe you me, I used to do Dell Phone Support!

Archived