Corsair Community

One Memory Module Has Lots of Bad Errors now what?

Okay recently my computer has been restarting randomly. So i decided to test the memory; I put one module in and it would do the same thing. I put the second one in and it didnt seem to do that.

So i decided to download UBCD with the memtest+ 86 and run a memory test. The "working" module went through 4 passes no errors.

I swapped the RAM and put in the one that would "reset" on me, it came up with about 15 different "errors" on the stick within about 20-30 seconds. So i stopped the processes figuring I had bad memory. And now I am here wondering what more can i do to get this resolved?

I do have a question its a "kit" of 1 gig but 1 of them is bad, would iu have to send BOTH of them back to RMA and be without a computer or just the "damaged" one?

What CPU / FSB / Motherboard do you have?

What is the exact part # and revision # of each stick? Is it a TwinX pack?

How To Read the Memory Label

Not to be rude, but why does that matter when one stick passes and the other doesnt?

Here is the information requested.

Field Value

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E, 3400 MHz (17 x 200) 800 FSB

Field Value

Motherboard Name Intel Battle Lake D915PBL (4 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, LAN)

PART # vs1gbkit533d2 (on the box)

on the memory itself : vs512mb533d2

lot#: 0451028-1

Under the bar code : *000070889*

the other "working" stick is in my computer....

If they're not the same revision, there's a good chance they won't play nicely together.

Did you test each stick in the same slot, so as to make sure you don't have a bad slot?

okay heeh i should have been more specific on what i did to test this:

First my computer was restarting randomly, thought it was heat, no go, then tested ram.

tried stick 1 in slot 1, same results (restarting)

Tried stick 1 in slot 3 (dual channel). same results (restarting)

Tried stick 2 in slot 1, worked fine for 3+ hours, still no restart.

Tried stick 2 in slot 3 worked fine for 3+ hours, still no restart.

Put stick 2 in slot 1 ran memtest+ 86 5 passes. Fine No errors.

Put stick 1 in slot 1 ran memtest+ 86 10 seconds in it found 15 errors. So i figured BAD memory and this is where i am at now.

So i know its not "compatibility" with each other or slot.

at one point i even got a BSOD that said "page fault in nonpaged area" but i only got it once.

Archived