Corsair Community

Corsair a100 BIOS

I pinged them again today to get a status update and got:

Your system has a defective AIO, which has been replaced!

Your machine successfully passed the overnight stress test and should be shipping out to you soon under the following tracking number

While this MAY address the cooling issues I was having... it doesn't resolve the USB issues that I originally started this RMA for 2 months ago.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corsair Employee
I pinged them again today to get a status update and got:

While this MAY address the cooling issues I was having... it doesn't resolve the USB issues that I originally started this RMA for 2 months ago.

New a100 and a7200 BIOs has been uploaded to our downloads page to address the USB issues. This should now be remedied.

I believe the repair team will be flashing your BIOs as well. If not then you can download the BIOs to flash once you receive your PC.

Little late to the party with that announcement. oliver_a100 already commented in this thread on 5/7 that the update was on the website. I was already deep into building an entirely new system so I could RMA this one because no one at Corsair could tell me that the update was coming or when.

Updates on my RMA experience for those interested:

I received this message 6 Days ago:

Your machine successfully passed the overnight stress test and should be shipping out to you soon under the following tracking number:{Redacted}

When I asked if anything other component was replaced and what was done to resolve the USB issues I was told:

These issues were looked into and resolved with the SSD being swapped and all USB's passing testing, kindly let us know if there's anything we may help with!

It has been 6 days and the tracking information has not updated, it is still at the 'Label Created' status... which tells me that the computer has not actually left the repair center. I have repeatedly asked for updates regarding this issue and I have not gotten any responses. I have specifically asked if the BIOS was updated and the testing procedure that was used to determine that the USB issue has been resolved. No one involved with the support tickets is bothering to respond.

I don't know where my $3000 computer is or if the issues were actually resolved. Communication is key, especially with a customer as upset as I am right now, and Corsair continues to drop the ball.

I also want to note that I had an order placed for an a200, which I canceled mostly due to this horrendous customer support experience. I will more than likely never buy another Corsair product again.

Edited by Azureblood2

Guest techildllc
Little late to the party with that announcement. oliver_a100 already commented in this thread on 5/7 that the update was on the website. I was already deep into building an entirely new system so I could RMA this one because no one at Corsair could tell me that the update was coming or when.

Updates on my RMA experience for those interested:

I received this message 6 Days ago:

When I asked if anything other component was replaced and what was done to resolve the USB issues I was told:

It has been 6 days and the tracking information has not updated, it is still at the 'Label Created' status... which tells me that the computer has not actually left the repair center. I have repeatedly asked for updates regarding this issue and I have not gotten any responses. I have specifically asked if the BIOS was updated and the testing procedure that was used to determine that the USB issue has been resolved. No one involved with the support tickets is bothering to respond.

I don't know where my $3000 computer is or if the issues were actually resolved. Communication is key, especially with a customer as upset as I am right now, and Corsair continues to drop the ball.

I also want to note that I had an order placed for an a200, which I canceled mostly due to this horrendous customer support experience. I will more than likely never buy another Corsair product again.

Oh boy, this does not sound good for my RMA, I got my fingers crossed at this point. They are gonna receive it tomorrow. God knows when they will send it back out! I am absolutely going to subtract out those days from the 30 day return window!

Out of curiosity, what speed are they sending the system back? The same slow 3 days turtle speed?

Its funny you should say:

Communication is key, especially with a customer as upset as I am right now, and Corsair continues to drop the ball.

Thats exactly what I wrote to them in an email in regards to the shipping speed! I told them, its not so much the extra couple days that annoys me as the customer but the lack of clear communication about the state of things. When they email back apologizing, I emailed back within 20mins asking them for an overnight speed on the return. Guess what? Crickets...I have yet to hear back.

Out of curiosity, what speed are they sending the system back? The same slow 3 days turtle speed?

Yep, UPS 3 Day Select.

They received the computer on 5/21 at 1pm and on 5/24 I got confirmation from an escalations manager that they received and were working on it.

I asked for a status update 2 days later and that is when they replied with the above message. Since then tracking information has not changed and they have been radio silent.

Nice... I finally got a message from the escalations manager. He gave me a completely different tracking number... the computer will be here tomorrow.

They still didn't answer my question of if the BIOS was updated and how the USB was tested / determined to be working properly.

I am beyond LIVID right now.

I shipped the computer to Corsair in the original 'Battle Crate' box, and they shipped it back to me in a plain cardboard box with some foam. Not only that, it also came back scuffed and scratched.

I plugged it in and went directly to the BIOS, they did not update the BIOS. I have still yet to get a reply to my repeated question of what was done to resolve the issue. They said they tested all of the USB ports and they all 'passed', but won't tell me how they tested it.

This is how Corsair treats its customers who pay for some of their most expensive products. Be warned.

PXL_20210602_223427145.thumb.jpg.966d52f151333ef360826840bbce3292.jpg

PXL_20210602_223512567.thumb.jpg.1d60dc8db01f98846f7e9fa7a5331ba3.jpg

I was told they replaced parts and sent back my machine.

The serial number on the outside of the plain box does not match the picture I took of the 'Battle Crate' I sent to them. This with the second tracking number makes me think that my machine got lost.

This is really just a comedy of basic customer service errors.

Guest techildllc
I was told they replaced parts and sent back my machine.

The serial number on the outside of the plain box does not match the picture I took of the 'Battle Crate' I sent to them. This with the second tracking number makes me think that my machine got lost.

This is really just a comedy of basic customer service errors.

The experience gets worse! Damn! Well, I sent mine back in the original box for repairs, so unless I get it back perfectly, its going straight to the return department! Not even going to test it!

I have been asking for 10 days now

1) Why wasn't my BIOS updated when I sent it in for RMA

2) How was it determined that the USB ports were 'Passing' even though the BIOS wasn't updated

3) Why was I given two different tracking numbers for the return shipment

4) Why was I told it was being repaired and then sent a refurbished unit

5) Why was the refurbished unit scratched and scuffed and what are they going to do about it

It seems to me they are ignoring my ticket at this point so they can mark it as closed.

I finally got a reply from the Escalations manager.

We did recently release a BIOS update for the computer. The BIOS update should have been done as part of the diagnostics and repair, however the BIOS update is also something you can do yourself. No special access is required for the BIOS update.

I'm checking with our warehouse team about the condition of the computer case. It is highly unusual for a computer to be damaged in transit this way. The case is designed to protect the machine, both inside and out. At this time I do not have an update for you, but will update you when I have more information by tomorrow.

Guest techildllc
I finally got a reply from the Escalations manager.

Alright, clock is ticking!!!!! Lets see if they follow through!

I got the results of their investigation...

I've checked with our warehouse, though unfortunately at this time I do not have any further information about the computer, or what may have happened with the packaging or scratches you have reported.

However I can offer you a courtesy mechanical keyboard or headset, both as an apology for the delay, as well as for the experience.

Probably just going to leave it at that, not worth taking up anymore of my life.

New a100 and a7200 BIOs has been uploaded to our downloads page to address the USB issues. This should now be remedied.

I believe the repair team will be flashing your BIOs as well. If not then you can download the BIOs to flash once you receive your PC.

I did the bios update to 9015 and initially all seemed well. Yesterday though, the usb disconnect did happen and iCue as well as the bios could not detect the a100. As a result the CPU AIO went off and the temperature started climbing. Luckily I had installed a ML140 pro top fan which offers much more air flow giving me time to quickly shutdown the PC.

I have since forced the system to run PCIE Gen3 and hopefully this will be more stable. CPU thermal paste also renewed and my temperatures are lower.

I did the bios update to 9015 and initially all seemed well. Yesterday though, the usb disconnect did happen and iCue as well as the bios could not detect the a100. As a result the CPU AIO went off and the temperature started climbing. Luckily I had installed a ML140 pro top fan which offers much more air flow giving me time to quickly shutdown the PC.

I have since forced the system to run PCIE Gen3 and hopefully this will be more stable. CPU thermal paste also renewed and my temperatures are lower.

Since I already built a new machine, I'm just going to use that and sell the a100. It isn't worth the headache of always having to watch out for iCUE trying to bake the machine.

I suggest you move the fan to a motherboard header and set it to 100%. I wouldn't do anything lower as you can only set a curve for CPU heat not CPU and/or GPU heat.

I haven't even bothered to updater the BIOS on the machine I got back. I haven't even booted into Windows, I booted into the BIOS to confirm if they updated it when it was in RMA.

Guest techildllc
Honestly I really wouldn't, just move on... it isnt worth it. In this Thread they state that even in the new systems they are using HDMI2.0 extensions. Judging by a TomsHardware article it looks like they are using the same riser cable, which means you they probably limited it to PCIE Gen3 in the BIOS. These cooling solutions are already at their max capabilities, so I bet they lowered the power limit on the 3080 they are putting in the systems.

You will be paying for a grossly overpriced crippled system.

I gave Corsair way too much leeway over the past year with this machine. The straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that I reported a critical bug in iCUE last year and that bug is still in the new version of iCUE.

iCUE cannot be trusted to keep this system cool, and Corsair cannot be trusted to support their products. I'm done with them as a company, and I've already built a new completely system (I won a newegg shuffle)

Also, I summed up all the issues I've had with Corsair support over this past year in this Thread

I should have just taken your advice 3+ weeks ago! Should have just returned the system instead of giving them a chance at "repairs"!

Since I already built a new machine, I'm just going to use that and sell the a100. It isn't worth the headache of always having to watch out for iCUE trying to bake the machine.

I suggest you move the fan to a motherboard header and set it to 100%. I wouldn't do anything lower as you can only set a curve for CPU heat not CPU and/or GPU heat.

I haven't even bothered to updater the BIOS on the machine I got back. I haven't even booted into Windows, I booted into the BIOS to confirm if they updated it when it was in RMA.

The x570 motherboard USB header and iCue software seem bent on roasting the cpu. For now I have got rid of both, disconnected the corsair microusb cable to the cpu aio, connected an ML140 Pro fan to the CPU_FAN header, set the controls on bios and completely uninstalled iCue from my a100. So far so good, system is even running cooler, and I will be trying out native Linux OS finally on the a100 :biggrin:

The x570 motherboard USB header and iCue software seem bent on roasting the cpu. For now I have got rid of both, disconnected the corsair microusb cable to the cpu aio, connected an ML140 Pro fan to the CPU_FAN header, set the controls on bios and completely uninstalled iCue from my a100. So far so good, system is even running cooler, and I will be trying out native Linux OS finally on the a100 :biggrin:

The above config worked well with no overheating issues.

I have however reconnected the ML140 Pro fan to the fan connector from the AIO so that it's speed is controlled by the coolant temperatures for the CPU and GPU aios. The Corsair Link microusb connector will stay DISCONNECTED for now, that and the motherboard were the cause of all my issues, x570 usb disconnects caused the iCue to stop the aio pumps and the temps will rise rapidly leading to a CPU overtemperature error.

My advice to any a100 user having this is to use iCue just once to set a desired profile then completely uninstall it and disconnect the microusb connector from the CPU aio. You might not be able to get fancy led lights and monitor coolant temps but at least the system will run without toasting.

A feature request for iCue developers, change the fail mode from aio pump OFF to aio pump ON, poor design really if a usb disconnect can lead to a cpu overtemp :sigh!:

Native Linux installation works like a charm too now.

Edited by ckibue

The above config worked well with no overheating issues.

I have however reconnected the ML140 Pro fan to the fan connector from the AIO so that it's speed is controlled by the coolant temperatures for the CPU and GPU aios. The Corsair Link microusb connector will stay DISCONNECTED for now, that and the motherboard were the cause of all my issues, x570 usb disconnects caused the iCue to stop the aio pumps and the temps will rise rapidly leading to a CPU overtemperature error.

My advice to any a100 user having this is to use iCue just once to set a desired profile then completely uninstall it and disconnect the microusb connector from the CPU aio. You might not be able to get fancy led lights and monitor coolant temps but at least the system will run without toasting.

A feature request for iCue developers, change the fail mode from aio pump OFF to aio pump ON, poor design really if a usb disconnect can lead to a cpu overtemp :sigh!:

Native Linux installation works like a charm too now.

It is up to people reading this If you want to consider this as 'Working well with no overheating issues'. IMHO no one should use this configuration, it significantly degrades performance of the system.

The CPU is running below base clock, this is thermal throttling. The GPU is not thermal throttling, but it is running significantly slower than what is should be.

I've owned 7 Ryzen processors, and none of them fell below 3.9GHz in this test. Both of my 2080 SUPER ran that test above 1900MHz. The top 100 3950x / 2080ti on 3dMark test database have the GPU running at 2-2.3GHz.