Corsair Community

Vs512mb400 one stick doesn't work

I bought some VS512MB400 ram about a month ago and started getting random crashes. I ran memtest and every test failed. Since this RAM is two sticks (2 X 512) I tested each one seperately. Sure enough one stick was fine and one stick failed every test.

I've got an Abit IS7-G motherboard, a P4 socket 478 processor and some other stuff. I can get more detailed if you need it. I've read some of the previous posts and I'm attempting to update my bois but Abit's site is extremely slow.

I was wondering if 1) since one memory stick works and one doesn't can I just assume one is bad and return it, 2) can I just return one stick (half of the product) so I can keep using the other stick and 3) just for curiosity, how much of your product is defective? The last question isn't meant to be rude, but it seems like there are a lot of posts about this memory module.

-Mitch

just for curiosity, how much of your product is defective? The last question isn't meant to be rude, but it seems like there are a lot of posts about this memory module.

LOL! There's lots of posts about EVERY module here. 99% of posts are either configuration questions or warranty questions. That's Cust Service for ya! :)

IIRC, .02% of their stuff is RMA'd, and 60-80% of those don't even have any problems when tested. They're pretty loose when it comes to approving RMAs.

I was just curious if there was a set percentage that came out defective. RAM seems like a tricky thing and less than .02% sounds good to me. Just wondering how unlucky I had gotten if my memory does turn out to be bad.

In any event, I'm still more interested in my first two questions. The gaming has really taken a hit, you know :)

If those stats were right, then 0.004 to 0.008 % of their memory is actually bad when they test them after an RMA, which means they were either faulty or damaged by the user.

I think the answer to both is yes, but I'd wait for an official answer from Ram Guy.

I'm feeling a little neglected, RAM guy, seeing as how you usually respond within a day to other posts. I don't know how you sort through all of these posts but maybe if I give myself a bump It'll help get a response.

Since I'm writting stuff I feel I might as well post some more info.

Abit IS7-G with newest BIOS

Intel 82865PE + 82801ER chipset

Supports 4 DIMM (4 Gig max) DDR RAM 400/333/266 dual channel

P4 2.66 GHz... not sure about the FSB w/out restarting.

Anyway, sorry to be impatient. I can see you have a lot of posts to answer. Still I'd like to get this thing resolved in the next couple of weeks if possible.

• Corsair Employee

Sorry I had thought Wired answered your questions!

Yes you can just get the failing module replaced with Value Select should not be a problem. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

And yes there are a lot of people on the forum, but in comparison to the volume of modules we sell its less that 1/2 of 1% of the total volume, so its a relatively small number that are having problems and most that are posting on the forum just need help with setting up their system.

Archived