Corsair Community

Why twin sticks?

Hello all,

I am in the middle of my first build, I am at the point of selecting the perfect RAM to support my build.

Without question I will be utilizing Corsair brand RAM but upon searching and reading around this forum 1 thing has plagued me.

I noticed that most, if not all of you recommend going with 2 512 sticks of RAM instead of 1 1gig stick. Why is this?

After doing some compatibility searches I decided to go with CORSAIR VALUESELECT 240-Pin 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200, Model VS1GB533D2 but I am now doubting myself based on my many hours of reading here.

I have purchased an Asus P5AD2-E Premium motherboard and I would like to know why it would not be wise to go with the 1 gig stick that I mentioned above.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

• Corsair Employee
The main reason why we recommend our 512MB stick of memory modules is because our 512MB modules usually run in a lower (which is faster) latency setting; this is the only reason why we recommend it, and having 4x512MB is better with a lower latency than having 2x1GB with a higher (which is slower) latency. The only down side on this is that when having 4x512MB the maximum memory module that you can put on your system is 2GB, while on 2x1GB module you have the option to get 2 more sticks to have a total of 4; however per Windows XP O/S limitation, it will only utilize 2GB of memory module regardless on how much memory module you have on your system. Hopefully this answers your question.

Archived