Corsair Community

Mix and match QL and LL

Taminator

I think I just need some clarification here.

I have 5 LL120 with the rgb hub and commander pro.

All is well.

However I want to add 3 QL120.

Reading the threads here I'm a little confused. Is it the case I should *never mix/match (for instance plugging one of the QL's into the spare rgb port I have).

Or (and I need one anyway) get another rgb hub and that will slot nicely into the second rgb port on the Pro. All QL's in one rgb hub all LL in the other.

Have I got that right?

You shouldn't try to mix QL fans with anything else. Aside from solid colors, it won't work out very well. However, in this case it doesn't matter. With a 6 fans per hub, you need another for the 3 QL anyway. The QL120 multi-pack (3) will come with a Lighting Node Core for the QL and will connect back to the system via USB 2.

So leave my 5 LL120 as is and get the 3 pack QL that comes with its own RGB hub and plugs into a USB port independant of the other hub or commander.

Ique see's the two hubs and it seems to work.

[ame]

[/ame]

Which is basically what you said. So that's what I'm goin for. Thanks very much for your assistance.

There are horror stories out there regarding plugging LL and QL to the same hub and basically it seems kto blow the fans up.... All of them.

You are going to get some extra new lighting effects with the QL that the LL can't do. I don't know about blowing things up, but it wouldn't be any fun to mix them together. In iCUE you will have two fan control devices, the Node Pro and Core. The LNP will still control the 5 LL just as they are now. Separate control set for the QL. You'll get to experiment on making your own combinations.

Thankyou c-attack. I know it's doable now as discussed but I'm doubting the ability to sync both rgb controllers having used the icue interface somewhat at this point. For instance running a loop or something.

So I've changed my mind. The LL120 are spanking new so I can sell them on ebay (maybe even get a return from amazon) and just make the whole pesky thing QL's.

And methinks ill just stick with the 6. Unless it is possible to sync two controllers... In fact that's a good question. I'll search n see if any1 asked b4. If not I'll open a separate thread. Thx for your assistance

Hey Taminator,

Can you post a reply back when you find your answer? I am new to this whole RBG setup and I am trying to get as much information as possible.

I ordered an H100i RGB Platinum AIO 240mm what comes with 2 ML RGB fans. I also ordered 2 QL140s and 1 QL120. The 140mm pack comes with the Lighting Node Core and I also bought the Commander Pro. Am I going to have a problem syncing the QL RGBs with the AIO MLs? Should I replace the MLs with QLs or return the QLs (haven't arived yet) and get ML case fans?

Or maybe I just plug the AIO fans to the Motherboard RGB header or the second RGB port in the Commander pro?

Damn, I know how to build computers but the more I read about these Corsair RGBs the more confused I get. One question leads to another.

Thank you.

but I'm doubting the ability to sync both rgb controllers having used the icue interface somewhat at this point. For instance running a loop or something.

So yes and no. Lighting Link effects will automatically cycle through all devices. The only sequential patterns there are color wave and visor. It doesn't make much difference for color wave if you have a lot of gear since the different color light waves are everywhere. Currently, iCUE will place the Core 1st ahead of the LNP or Commander RGB channels.

For everything else, you are on your own for programming. You can't take a sequential effect and apply it Group A and then apply another to Group B and they will match up. Any kind of running sequential wave or ripple has to be programmed with delays and it is a bit tedious. Again, this only matter is you are trying to make the light run around the case. For non-moving patterns, things are pretty straightforward.

However, this will still be true if you had 8 LL or 8 QL. You would still need two lighting controllers and have the two group problem. The difference here is now both groups could run the same "Gate" or "Arc" lighting pattern, but one would run for 5 and the other for 3, or 4+4, or however you break it up. This makes grouping the fans key to getting it how you want. Some people may prefer to do 6+2 with the two top or bottom fans acting light secondary lighting and this also removes the need to sequence the two controllers.

@ devilsaces. Personally, after weeks of digging, I would plug the AIO into an rgb header on your main board. I assume that's what you have at present and control with aura? From what I understand each series of fans requires different voltages and things I know not what so plugging different types into the same hub seems to be a very bad idea (see some of the threads in this section.... One poor guy blew up several LL and QL doing just that).

Then push on with the QL"s and copro etc.

Install both aura and icue and then there is a.dll/plug in l that I finally found on Asus (plugin goes to a folder in icue) that allows control of both rgb headers (I have the z390 f that has 2, not sure but you'll have at least one) plus the memory slots, video card etc should you have rgb lighting there too from icue

So basically I set one colour/pattern and all fans, asus 2070 card, memory and the main board itself all lights up the same. Sweet.

If you need the link to asus for that plug in let me know (I'm on my fone and the link will be on the history of computer browser).

I ordered an H100i RGB Platinum AIO 240mm what comes with 2 ML RGB fans. I also ordered 2 QL140s and 1 QL120. The 140mm pack comes with the Lighting Node Core and I also bought the Commander Pro. Am I going to have a problem syncing the QL RGBs with the AIO MLs? Should I replace the MLs with QLs or return the QLs (haven't arived yet) and get ML case fans?

The Platinum cooler has its own lighting controller for the two ML-RGB fans. The 1 Core in the multpack of QL fans will take care of those. So you are fine on lighting power/control. However, the ML (4 center hub LEDs) and QL (35 LEDs) are vastly different in LED geometry and the QL will have 7-8 effects more the ML can't do with 4 LEDs. Those tend to be the more interesting ones, so if you mean can the ML be identical the answer is no. Can they do complimentary things, of course. However, they will act like a 2 fan set while the QL act as different programmable set. Once you see the QL, you are unlikely to want to return them all for the ML and the cost is already sunk into the cooler. If you didn't want the ML at all, you might price check an XT cooler (with no RGB controller) + 2 QL fans, but that is most likely to be higher in comparative cost.

*The Commander will serve as a fan controller only in this scenario. You won't be using it as a lighting controller.

Or maybe I just plug the AIO fans to the Motherboard RGB header or the second RGB port in the Commander pro?

Don't do that. The plug doesn't fit. People force it anyway. Usually bad things happen. Corsair gear is 5v RGB, so one moment on the 12v RGB header is probably fatal. There are people making adapters for the Asus 5v headers, but putting these all under the control of Aura limits you to 1/50th of the capabilities, not to mention really limiting color choice. Try setting something other than 255/x/0 into any of the moving patterns in Aura.

/Tam bows to c-attack. I have a deepcool cooler and it plugged into the rgb header just fine. We have almost identical main boards. I just assumed it was a standard fitting.

Not like corsair to have their own wee special plugs just compatable with other corsair lol. It's a real pain that cos it's essentially cost me two systems to get anywhere near what I intended. Got those (5 rgb deepcool pack), Silverstone controller and now other redundant equipment last year but they're binned compared to the LL QL range. It's a minefield to be sure

Thank you both Taminator and C-Attack. I learned a lot. Especially for future upgrades with more fan setups than mine.

My MB does have 2 12v RGB headers and 2 5v Addressable RGB headers but looking at the manual it seems those are for LED strips.

I didn't know the Platinum cooler had its own lighting controller so that makes life a little easier. So AIO fans connect to its own lighting controller and QL fans into the node core. The Commander Pro is for the three QL fans. Looks like the Node Core would then connect to the CP via USB. (Wondering if I even needed the CP...).

QL fans arrive Saturday and case tomorrow. Can't wait.