Corsair Community

2X - Commander Core's with 10X iCUE QL120 RGB Fan Setup HELP!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum. I am also new to PC building in general and have learned quickly I have chosen the worst time in history to build a PC due to everything going up in price and parts being hard to find. I have been doing a lot of research and have looked at a lot of the setups posted on this forum however I haven’t found quite what I’m thinking about doing. The components I plan on running are as follows:

CASE: Corsair 5000D Airflow (Black)

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS AMD AM4 ROG Strix X-570E

CPU: Ryzen 5600x

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3070 (Black)

MEMORY: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3600

HARD DRIVE: Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB (2X)

POWER SUPPLY: Corsair RM850x Full Modular (80 GOLD PLUS)

CPU COOLER: Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix CPU Cooler (Black)

CASE FANS: Corsair iCUE QL120 RGB Fans (Black) (10 Fans)

(3 Packs of 3 + 1)

I plan on setting up 3X – QL120 fans in front and 3X – QL120 on the side as INTAKE. I plan to remove and hopefully re-sell the 3X – ML120 fans that come included with Corsair H150i CPU cooler. I will then install 3X – QL120 fans on the H150i CPU cooler and attach it to the top of the case as EXHAUST. I will than install the final 1X – QL120 fan to the rear of the case as EXHAUST. This will give me 6X – intake and 4X – exhaust.

My question is about wiring all this up. My plan is to remove the included Carbide 6-port PWM repeater. I then want to use the Commander Core included with the H150i CPU Cooler. This will run the 4X – exhaust fans and the pump. I then want to purchase a second Commander Core and run all 6X – intake fans. I think this will be the cleanest set up.

1. But will it work?

2. Can I run two Commander Core’s together without any other lighting cores or Commander Pros?

3. Can you even buy Commander Core’s separately? I see they are on Corsair’s website, but I’ve never seen them in stock. Is there a timeline on when these will be

available?

4. Is there any other business that sell the Commander Core’s separately?

I would have made one of those awesome diagrams I see all over, but I didn’t know how. Thank you for any and all input on topic.

Edited by kparr_90

I’ll let you know tomorrow as I am setting up 7 QL120s and 3 ML 120s tomorrow with two commander cores. Hopefully it works out. I was searching for the same answer as you and stumbled onto your thread.

Awesome! Let me know how it works. Pictures of your setup would be awesome. Where did you find a second commander core?

you cant buy them separately i am afraid. would have to use a Commander Pro.

Thank you for your response Zotty. I'm sadden to hear you can't buy them separately. So is that just a temporary thing or are they never coming in-stock on the website?

Also if you were to buy a second H series CPU cooler just for the commander core, would you be able to run it like I described? What would that diagram look like? BTW your diagrams are awesome and very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it should ... but don't you have 3 Lighting Node Cores? Those will each handle up to 6 QL fans. Wouldn't that also solve the issue?

Yes it would work. However this is about using just two control boxes instead of three. Using two commander core's would make for a much cleaner install. This way you can run both your power and RGB cable's to the same box. This would really help my OCD out.

Here are the photos. Unfortunately my 3 QL 120 fans didn’t show up today so I will install them Monday when they arrive. Cable management is a little messy for the second commander core, but I’ll clean that up when I put the QLs in.

One commander core has three ML and one QL120, also attached is the AIO. Second commander core has 3 QL 120 and 3 standard 120 Corsair case fans (will be swapped out for 3 QLs.

Hope this helps.

5C143FDB-AD2A-4050-A4E0-ADCC05179B95.thumb.jpeg.e0814b083dee579464515869bb27f7a8.jpeg

25F19EA4-46D8-4CA6-948A-6ABFAEE888E5.thumb.jpeg.319149965b053878528346592f684aef.jpeg

• 5 months later...
Here are the photos. Unfortunately my 3 QL 120 fans didn’t show up today so I will install them Monday when they arrive. Cable management is a little messy for the second commander core, but I’ll clean that up when I put the QLs in.

One commander core has three ML and one QL120, also attached is the AIO. Second commander core has 3 QL 120 and 3 standard 120 Corsair case fans (will be swapped out for 3 QLs.

Hope this helps.

Did you ever swap those out to be all QLs? I'm curious if Icue recognized both Commander Core's or not? Where you able to run all the fans in sequence?

Thanks in advance.