Corsair Community

RMx 850W sounds like Jet! Please help

Sipnthesauce

Hello Community,

I recently purchased the RMx 850 watt PSU to try and help my case noise issue.

I installed the new PSU and even put new Corsair ML fans. Under low loads it is whisper quiet but if I play any amount of games it sounds like a fighter jet taking off. It is extremely loud and unbearable.

My system is only hovering around 400 watts so I thought I’d be safe with the 850 watt. I checked and there doesn’t appear to be any obstructions in the exhaust vents.

I made a help ticket with Corsair in case I need to RMA but I’m wondering if anyone in the community had this issue.

Thanks in advance! I’ll try to post a video if I can figure that out.

Do you mean the fan “bursts on” when it starts for a few seconds? Or you you mean it is running fast and continuously loud?

Fast and continuously loud. After only a few minutes of gaming it’ll kick the fans on. I am going to try to remove the dust cover off the bottom of my NZXT case but I don’t know.. I know that the NZXT cases are “hot boxes” but the temperatures aren’t critically high or anything. It all seems normal minus the PSU

Are you sure the noise is actually coming from the PSU itself and not the ML fans ramping up?

100% positive. I put my ear directly to each exhaust. It’s most definitely coming from the bottom fan on the PSU. There are no obstructions and it is lined up perfectly. I even tried taking the dust cover off and it didn’t help much if at all.