Corsair Community

Dell Dimension 3000 and PC3200 ValuSelect

hunig21

I'm no ram expert but I bought a Corsair Value Select 1gb PC3200 kit (VS512MB400) for my mom's Dell Dimension 3000. I know the dells are picky about ram, but I crossed my fingers anyway. The full gig showed up when I rebooted, then I got an error screen about a half hour later. it basically told me to restart and hit f1 to continue and f2 to configure the memory (didn't write down the whole message). when i hit f2 the ram shows up as 333mhz not 400. I'm thinking the ram is too hot at 400mhz, so I reinstall the original ram, two PC3200 256mb sticks and hey say they're 400mhz on the label, too. They show up as 333mhz when I check the configuration (f2 on bootup). Why is this? I'm assuming there's no tweak to get the 1gb kit to work, right? I bought it from Chief Value and in the specs it said it was compatible with the Dell Dimension 3000. Any help will be appreciated.

You most likely have a 533 Mhz P4 or Celeron, which runs the memory @ 333 Mhz.

Thanks for your reply. So in terms of compatibility with this ram set, is there anything I can do make it compatible with this computer? Tweak the bios, etc.? And how would I do that? Or should I get a refund and go with Dell's ram? Any help will be appreciated.

• Corsair Employee
Or you can use VS512MB333 with this system as long as you are replacing the modules that came with your system. Otherwise I would suggest our System Select, as they would be compatible with your system.

Archived