Corsair Community

Memtest86 madness with VS512MB400

Darko

My motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe Revison 2.0 , CPU Athlon XP 2500+. I'm running the ram using the SPD timings and CPU is not overclocked. Here's the problem: I have 2 sticks of VSS512MB Ram. one of them I have had for some time and the other is an RMA replacement for one that tested bad. I have tested the ram in both blue slots. It runs without errors is the slot closest to the CPU but gives errors in the other blue slot. On the contrary the other Dimm works perfectly (no errors in memtest86) in both blue slots. I am testing the sticks indivually at 2.7volts with SPD timings running at DDR 400. I know the cpu only supports 333FSB but the ram still can run independent of the FSB if you choose.

When I run both sticks together in dual channel mode I get memory errors no matter what blue slot the dimms are in. If I bump the memory voltage to 2.8 volts I can finally run dual channel 400FSB without errors. I was able to run 8 complete memtest cycles without incident. Is this ram sub standard if I need to bump the voltage above spec to get reliable operation? Technically it should run well at 2.6 volts. These dimms are not from a matched dual channel set....should that matter ? After receiving 2 RMA replacements (both which tested with errors) I'm a little dissapointed. :[pouts:

They're warrantied up to, but not over, 2.9 volts, so they're fine. I believe they are tested @ 2.7x volts. Also, it is NOT recommended to run the memory asynchronous from the FSB. AMD CPUs generally do not like it.

They're warrantied up to, but not over, 2.9 volts, so they're fine. I believe they are tested @ 2.7x volts. Also, it is NOT recommended to run the memory asynchronous from the FSB. AMD CPUs generally do not like it.

I also did a mild cpu overclock to make it syncronous...same result. Memory that needs more than 2.7 volts to be stable at it rated speed is questionable. I failed to mention I also have XMS PC3500 ram which works perfectly in dual channel syncronous and asyncronous modes at 2.7 volts. This is also with very aggressive times too.

Archived