Corsair Community

VIRTUOSO RGB Headset audio crackle

• Corsair Employee
Just recently started having the audio pop on me sometimes. I've uninstalled icue multiple times now same with the drivers. I've also tried windows 8 compatibility mode now as well. It seems to get worse throughout the day.

Hi Bradman02,

Sorry to hear. Please open a ticket at https://help.corsair.com - our support will be able to further assist you.

I am using a wireless Logitech mouse which uses 2.4Ghz connection.

I have Corsair Virtuoso Wireless SE which also uses 2.4Ghz connection.

When you put those two things together it causes problems in the wireless transmission.

Quick and easy solution for this was to get a usb extension cable and change the usb dongle of Virtuosos to left side/far away from the mouses wireless transmissor, that they do not harass with 2.4Ghz connection between them.

Believe me, i banged my head in the keyboard for 24 hours straight and continued banging it on the wall for same amount of time after realizing it was this small thing that caused the problem.

Hope this helps, because for me it fixed the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
Having the same issues here with cracking. Videos and Music sound great but gaming (FFXIV) and Discord sound like trash. The sound is "little", muffled, and "pinched". I've tried all fixes listed but none of them are working. I can't download the beta because the link is gone. My old Void Pro is so much better than these... iCue, you need to fix this issue, this has been going on for over a year according to these posts....

This product should never have been released. I feel like I lost a bunch of money I can't get back. It is truly awful that these things don't just work. Regardless of the fix (Win 8 compatibility mode, etc.) they are not helpful. Not only do I get crackling, but sound gets distorted where the pitch increases. I sound like a munchkin in the middle of serious meetings.

Combine this with the complete inability to get slipstream actually working off a single receiver without downgrading to ancient and unavailable version of icue that "may" work and likely brick a device, it stands to reason Corsair is really not applying the engineering muscle they used to. I love the cases, fans and keyboards. Even the mice are solid. But this feels like an experiment that we are paying for.

I feel like a lab rat - hopes were high.

I'm not sure what I just accomplished. I am frustrated as f, don't have money for replacement from another vendor, and have to wait 3 days for Corsair to even look at RMAing the headset.

Edited by Effigy

• 3 weeks later...
maybe thats related to rysen cpu? Anyone with intel cpu is having this problem?

I had similar issues with other audio devices on rysen (usb dac, creative soundblaster card pcie)

I've got an Intel CPU and having this problem, but I'm pretty certain my problem is connected to interference from other wireless devices in my house such as PS5 controllers and Oculus Quest controllers. Probably just gonna have to get a new headset cause it is pretty much unbearable when any of these devices are on (which is quite often).

• 1 month later...
Just purchased Corsair Virtuoso (non-SE). Guess what it's doing? CRACKLING!

I have tried it Wired, Wireless, Upgrading iCUE, Downgrading iCUE, upgraded firmware, NVIDIA Broadcast On/Off/Removed/Upgraded/Downgraded, Reinstalled Windows 10.

For reference:

Windows 10 v2004 (OS Build: 19041.630)

iCUE 3.36.125

VIRTUOSO/Dongle Firmware: v0.19.157/v0.18.88

NVIDIA Broadcast v1.0.0.30

So I have been just living with this for the last 5 months or so.

Then I heard about something called AGESA.......

Sounds like you might be running an AMD system?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amd-locates-root-cause-of-usb-issues-on-b550-x570-motherboards

If so, update your BIOS containing the latest AGESA version.

ASUS just released new BIOS for most X570 and B550 boards on 3/22/2021. It is 3/26/2021 today.

I have been battling audio crackling issues for almost 9 months. I updated to latest BIOS for my ASUS TUF X570 Gaming WiFi today and my crackling issue is fixed. Hopefully for good!

This is driving me insane. I see this issuse streching all the back to 2019...

I bought the corsair virtuoso se almost 3 months ago. Up untill today it has been the perfect headset. Now, after 15-30 min of use, my voice call and in-game audio start to crackle or completely dissconnect. This only happens when in wirelss mode, wired mode works with no issue. I have tried literally every single suggested post in this thread. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled ICUE. Ive tried out the latest version of ICUE. Ive unistalled and reinstalled the drivers. Ive set icue for compatability in windows 8 mode. Ive adjusted every possible setting in ICUE. I am a network operations analyst, so the fact im having this much difficulty with a freakin headset is making me boil with anger. The fact this has been an issue since 2019, with no clear diagnoses, or resolve makes me want to contact customer support, return this product, and never buy another corsair product. I was in love with this headset... untill now...

EDIT****Okay so me being my impatient self, i chose not to wait for support. I gave in, and did something i was really trying to avoid. I completely reset my pc back to intital setup. Sadly i didnt back any of my data up, and didnt have a usb drive to image my pc. BUT, this fixed my issue! To anyone having this issue, THIS IS A LAST RESORT! Unless you back up, or image your device, everything on your computer will be deleted. This wasnt a big deal for me (besides the 2tb of games i have to re download.) I will update again if my issue persists.

Edited by SilkyZielke

Hi!

I am sorry for you. Did you contact the customer Support by now? I would do that.

Can I aks you why do you use a wireless Headset? I think, a non wireless Headset is much more safer than a wireless Headsets.

And did you look for all the reasons why its dissconnected (microhone? Bad WLAN etc.?)

Hope you get a quick answer from the customer Support!

This is driving me insane. I see this issuse streching all the back to 2019...

I bought the corsair virtuoso se almost 3 months ago. Up untill today it has been the perfect headset. Now, after 15-30 min of use, my voice call and in-game audio start to crackle or completely dissconnect. This only happens when in wirelss mode, wired mode works with no issue. I have tried literally every single suggested post in this thread. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled ICUE. Ive tried out the latest version of ICUE. Ive unistalled and reinstalled the drivers. Ive set icue for compatability in windows 8 mode. Ive adjusted every possible setting in ICUE. I am a network operations analyst, so the fact im having this much difficulty with a freakin headset is making me boil with anger. The fact this has been an issue since 2019, with no clear diagnoses, or resolve makes me want to contact customer support, return this product, and never buy another corsair product. I was in love with this headset... untill now...

Did you read my post just above yours?

• 4 months later...

Was scrolling through this thread trying to fix my own headset from crackling and popping while listening to music and youtube etc. (when I noticed it most) and had a look through my settings on windows. In sounds and the properties of the corsair virtuoso, in enhancements I noticed "low frequency protection" was ticked. When I unticked that it improved a lot but not 100%. Thought I'd post just in case it helps one of ye!

e4eb241c37a48a13fe3af8d763196966.png

Edited by tralisen
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue only on wireless, sometimes the audio on my virtuoso cracks and pops. I reset my pc but it keeps having this intermittent low quality. Tried windows 8 comparbility mode... Nothing. 2 Channel, nothing. Uninstalling iCUE nothing. I opened a ticket on corsair, hope they can help me.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

I've been able to narrow down a specific combination of audio / player which reproduces this issue. I think it's a problem inherent to the audio chip used in the Virtuoso XT.

Here's a sample audio file: https://web.tresorit.com/l/p9EPY#LaHBQKR69kTgxhOQNZJ8yQ

Play the audio file in mpv player to reproduce the issue.

- The same audio file played in VLC or FFMpeg does not reproduce the problem
- ALL other sound interfaces I've tried work fine, it's only the Virtuoso XT that has the issue
- Happens in both wired (USB) and wireless mode
- No crackling when using a 3.5mm audio cable from another device
- It's not the decoder - if I decode to .wav first with ffmpeg, mpv still has issues
- It seems to be related to multi-channel audio. If i downmux to stereo, playback is fine.
- But 7.1 channel TrueHD audio plays back fine with no crackling

MPV is the playback engine used in Plex, Stremio, and others. I'll file a ticket with that project also in case it's a flaw in their code, however it seems unlikely given that other audio interfaces don't exhibit the problem.

• 2 months later...

Hello Internet Friends!  

***THIS WORKED FOR ME****

After recently upgrading to Windows 11, I started having issues with the new Razer Blackshark V2, returned it.  Then got the Astro A50's... same issue.  Intermittent, crackling sound.... Just enough to piss you off!

That's what got me broadening my search to fix this issue, because it was happening across two completely different headsets.  

Recently just picked up the Corsair Virtuoso XT's and what do you know... SAME ISSUE.  I couldn't believe it,  after I solved it with the A50's.... See this thread... https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/471903/bug-report-audio-crackling-after-sleep-since-drive/

I'm almost positive this is an Nvidia Driver issue.  Today, even with the OLD driver, the one in the article, I was still having an issue with the XT's.  So, I just switched over the latest Nvidia Studio driver (instead of gaming) and boom.  Perfectly clear on wireless and wired! ( I did a clean install of the driver, tick that during installation of driver)

I literally restarted my account here, just to share this, because holy **** I know the pain of this issue and I really hope this help you all as well! 

Cheers! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 4:36 PM, SanctionOne said:

Hello Internet Friends!  

***THIS WORKED FOR ME****

After recently upgrading to Windows 11, I started having issues with the new Razer Blackshark V2, returned it.  Then got the Astro A50's... same issue.  Intermittent, crackling sound.... Just enough to piss you off!

That's what got me broadening my search to fix this issue, because it was happening across two completely different headsets.  

Recently just picked up the Corsair Virtuoso XT's and what do you know... SAME ISSUE.  I couldn't believe it,  after I solved it with the A50's.... See this thread... https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/471903/bug-report-audio-crackling-after-sleep-since-drive/

I'm almost positive this is an Nvidia Driver issue.  Today, even with the OLD driver, the one in the article, I was still having an issue with the XT's.  So, I just switched over the latest Nvidia Studio driver (instead of gaming) and boom.  Perfectly clear on wireless and wired! ( I did a clean install of the driver, tick that during installation of driver)

I literally restarted my account here, just to share this, because holy **** I know the pain of this issue and I really hope this help you all as well! 

Cheers! 

Spent 3 hours diagnosing and reading through thread after thread about this bug.

This is the only thing that has seemed to work over the last half hour; I'll update in a few days if this is a permanent solution.

Thank you so much!

On 1/27/2022 at 8:44 PM, VenturaMusic said:

Spent 3 hours diagnosing and reading through thread after thread about this bug.

This is the only thing that has seemed to work over the last half hour; I'll update in a few days if this is a permanent solution.

Thank you so much!

gonna need an update on that my guy. been back and forth with tech support to no avail. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm having the same very frustrating issue of my headphones very slightly crackling when playing audio, enough to where it's going to drive me insane. I have tried almost of the fixes said here and nothing has worked. I am very tempted to try to nuclear  option of a full blown wipe of my computer but I pray it does not come to that. 

I may have to look into getting a different pair but any other fixes would be extremely helpful. 

• 3 months later...

I have this same issue. Bought mine back in Sep, 2021, was fine until 10 months ago was ignoring/looking online for fixes, 8 months ago it finally annoyed me enough to submit a ticket. Tried soft resetting the headset, reinstalling both icue and windows 11, no change and told the agent that and that I restarted my pc bout six times and plugged it into another PC with the wireless receiver without icue, no difference. But no issue on my 3.5 or Bluetooth to my phone and I don't have any PCs with Bluetooth and with $0 to my name, I can't just go buy an adapter.I submitted my ticket and proof of purchase and they immediate went to replacing it no extra troubleshooting steps and then I had to ask for them to cover the shipping cost because no $ to my name they no problem did it(good on them) but then 3 months after I got it back (2months ago) it is now doing again so ignored it but just had it started doing crackling/dropping words on the mic. Also, if my head is or headset is not straight up and down or plugged in it will randomly just turn off sometimes til I put my head or headset back up right then turns back on. No I have not dropped my headset or anything onto it and never leave in hot or cold cars and like many others here love the brand and have other corsair products. So plz can someone fix this and I am pretty sure it is the firmware given I sent it back and got a refurbished one back and after 3 months it started again no just yesterday my mic start crackling and cutting out. If they can't fix this I am gonna try request a refund or just move everything out of the icue software.

Icue 4 v. 4.31.168(have happen over many other version)
Virtuoso XT Headset v. 5.11.88
USB Wireless Receiver dongle v. 5.9
Windows 11 Pro os build. 22621.963
AMD Ryzen 5 4500 6 core on a MSI MAG B550M Bazooka Mobo with 32GB RAM(4x8 3200 mhz Vengeance RGB PRO Sticks)
Note: Their products are awesome but soft/firmware needs fixing!