Corsair Community

Memory failure

tomkodey

I've been running my system since mid-January. After some initial experimentation to get the right memory timing (ended up at 2-3-2-5), the system has been pretty stable. Tonight, the system powered itself down and could not get past POST on powerup. I was not at the computer when it powered itself down, so I don't know if there were any errors. The D-Bracket lights were: light 2 green, lights 1, 3, 4 red, indicating a Memory Detection Test failure. There was also a continuous beeping sound.

I swapped the memory modules (swapped DIMM slots), same result. I removed one of the memory modules leaving one module, same result. I swapped the modules and the computer booted OK. Essentially, I tried all combinations of modules in DIMM slots and anytime one of the modules was plugged in the system wouldn't make it past POST.

Looks to me like I've had a memory module failure. Since the system runs on only one module, I'd very much like to keep it running on the good module while we deal with the bad one, but these are TwinX1024 512mb modules, so if one gets replaced, do they both get replaced to stay matched? If so, is there a way we can work it so I can keep my system up on the good module until the pair is replaced?

System Config:

-Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

-Bios: Phoenix Award 6.00PG

-CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+

-Memory: Corsair Twinx1024-3200XLPT 2-3-2-5 (2T)

-Video:ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro

-PSU: Antec True550 (+3.3V: 32A; +5V: 40A; +12V: 30A; max 550W total on +5.5V, +3.3V & +12V)

-Hard Drives: 2xWD200JD SATA

Thanks, Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I received the replacement memory. Thank you for the rapid turnaround of the RMA and the replacement memory.

Unfortunately, the new memory is failing. My original failure was one in which the computer would not pass power on self-test with one of the original memory sticks installed. The other stick of the Twin pair operated flawlessly by itself.

The failure of the replacement memory is totally different than the failure with the original memory sticks. MemTest Plus (from the source you previuosly suggested) reports failures in both new memory sticks. I have run tests with both memory sticks in DIMM slots 1&2, 3&4, 1&3 (allows only single channel operation). I've also tested each stick separately in slots 1 and 3 (slots 2 and 4 can't be populated until 1 or 3 is populated). I've run the tests at 2.5v (the motherboard default) and 2.8v as you suggested with my original memory.

Most errors report error bits 00800000, 00000020 or 00000002. Addresses range from 0.9MB - 1023MB.

What shall I do now?

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Archived