Corsair Community

H150i pro and fans

ShadowSabre

ok i changed the tp and here is temps. Is this fine now @ 4.3ghz oc 1.216v

It looks OK but we still don't have your coolant temps or your actual vCore in that screen shot.

Yes, I know you set it to 1.216 but the motherboard may still provide more based on LLC.

First, I have a large case. That helps. It actually has room for 3x 140 radiator at the top.

Second, I have both a rear and a top rear exhaust. These are set to kick up as a temp sensor, located just above the GPU, increases in temperature. These fans are primarily responsible for exhausting the GPU heat.

Third, the radiator is mounted forward. It actually gets a channel of fresh air from the lower intakes that goes around the GPU.

It's something that I've played and experimented with quite a bit. Having the CoPro helps - I have a temp sensor (as mentioned) just above the GPU as well as on the radiator intake.

Thanks Dev! Are you aware of there are any rear fans/brackets (not top rear) that can be used to exhaust gpu heat in the Corsair 500D RGB (I’m not aware of any)?

No, I'm not.

From what I can see (as I don't have one and have to go by specs/manual/website pictures), you have one exhaust fan in the back.

But you've also got intake that will actually blow over the GPU and almost directly into a top-mounted radiator ... I don't.

So what you need to do, I think, is work on the fan speed balance. Again, having a Commander Pro would be ideal as you could control your fans speeds based on actual interior case temps. If you are controlling them from the motherboard, you're probably using the CPU temp as the control variable, which really isn't the best variable to use in a liquid cooled case. An alternative would be to get a $8 10K temperator sensor (like this https://www.amazon.com/XSPC-XS-10KSEN-Wire-Sensor-10K/dp/B00CMR38LC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536113922&sr=8-2&keywords=Computer+Temperature+sensor) and connect it to the temp input on your motherboard. Place it over your GPU and use it to control fan speeds. Your range will be lower than if you used the CPU temperature and it'll take some experimentation but it should really help proper thermal management.

Wow! Yeah I guess that's similar to mine, but not sure how you get the GPU airflow up from down there (especially since my PSU - whose fan is pointed upwards like yours - airflow is very very light, so it's not really doing much pushing up). I was hoping there was some sort of exhaust fan setup you could use to go in all those spare PCI socket/nracket areas below the GPU! Corsair, can you make one please?!:):)

The PSU typically won't impact the case airflow these days.

In your case, you've got the front fans that can blow directly across the motherboard and GPU - so you'll have a more direct intake airflow over them (and also into the radiator). The key will be your exhaust sucking air through the rear of the case and pushing the warm GPU air out. If you don't get that warm air exhausted quickly, it'll build up in the case and wind up going through the radiator.

If your case fans are controlled by CPU temp, then this won't work properly (CPU temp isn't a good control variable in a water cooled system, as I think I mentioned earlier.) You'll really need to control the fan speeds based on the case interior temperature rather than something like CPU.

The PSU typically won't impact the case airflow these days.

In your case, you've got the front fans that can blow directly across the motherboard and GPU - so you'll have a more direct intake airflow over them (and also into the radiator). The key will be your exhaust sucking air through the rear of the case and pushing the warm GPU air out. If you don't get that warm air exhausted quickly, it'll build up in the case and wind up going through the radiator.

If your case fans are controlled by CPU temp, then this won't work properly (CPU temp isn't a good control variable in a water cooled system, as I think I mentioned earlier.) You'll really need to control the fan speeds based on the case interior temperature rather than something like CPU.

Yup, I have a CoPro temp sensor installed right on the radiator (slipped between the fan and the radiator), which - interestingly - pretty closely tracks the h150i cooler temp (almost always within 1C). That controls the exhaust fans, so you don't get the big swings that come from linking to the CPU temp. The (6) push-pull front-radiator fans themselves are of course linked to the h150i cooler temp directly.

Somewhat interestingly also, I do notice that the rear top exhaust fan spits out a lot more warm air than the top forward exhaust fan. I guess that's because the top rear fan sits directly above the VRM and mosfets?

was it normal or high

ambient is 32 and coolant temp is 37 but cpu tem is avg 50+

its hardly 10-15 % usage. 4.3ghz all core.

was it not suppose to be under 45 or even 40

We've been over this with you. There's the GPU to consider and the overall case flow to also consider. You need to get a read/idea on the internal case temperature that's blowing over the radiator fins. Yes, your GPU idle at 45C but that's only because the fans are blowing the waste heat into the case. My GPU idles at 40-41C. And that's because I have the fans going all the time blowing waste heat into the case. If I didn't manage that heat, I'd start seeing similar temperatures on my cooler.

Try leaving the case completely open for a bit. Do the temperatures improve?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived