Corsair Community

Corsair Drivers are Garbage. (Win 10 1803 Issue + Solution)

ESMN

I'd love to see a source and anything other than anecdotal evidence for this claim.

What? Like a white paper from a 'now unemployed' Microsoft engineer who recommends reinstalling drivers after major updates? This is the internet. 99.999% of everything is anecdotal. Clearly the statement is my opinion and this is a reminder of why you shouldn't use definitive language without additional modifiers like "I recommend" or "I suggest", all of which are implied. I'm glad you never have had any issues thus far. The people who manage the 5000+ machines at my firm won't even allow MS to push the feature updates as each time it compromises some of their security measures. They are more than anal so perhaps not the best example, but there certainly is a situational component. Someone who uses their machine for DAW work might not agree with you either. I wonder how many gamers let MS manage their video drivers? My personal experience has been trouble with sound drivers. A nice static pop in the ear is usually a reminder of what I didn't do. A work station with nothing more than keyboard/mouse and onboard graphics surely has a better odds for coming through unscathed than a machine with multiple complex or non-standard drivers. People can make their own decisions. I am cautious and have had problems, so I clean out the ones that important to me. Unsurprisingly, there is mixed opinion in the world, which leads to the below.

Clearly, I'm not saying that windows updates (any of them) never cause issues. Sometimes the fix may be to re-install a driver or a different version that is compatible.

The advice was given specifically for that user. It was not meant to be a universal declaration that all people must follow. His original statement reads like someone who has trouble managing the process and has a machine is in a state of disarray. If you don't think someone in his circumstances should clean house, then we disagree. I am not telling you what to do. I was telling him what he should have done for his position, all of which had a secondary purpose. No one from Corsair is going to pop in and try to re-educate an angry guy about his software management. There is too much risk, as should be quite apparent from reading this thread. They could have addressed the customer service aspect, but that chance is now long gone. It would have been easier for someone to do so if there had been a reduction in the number of issues in play and change in tone. I failed miserably there. Feel free to take over.

iCUE isn't perfect but no software is. Issues can be related to hardware and software, and everything that exists between them. Does iCUE have bugs? Yes. Does Windows have bugs? Yes. Does your motherboard have bugs? Yes. Combine them all and you get a cornucopia of issues. We will do what we can always to solve what we can *reproduce* but sometimes there can be issues just related to a certain combination of elements beyond anyone's control.

Its funny because everyone has the sabe Windows bugs and motherboard bugs but seems like when it comes to brands when they compare Corsair with others, seems like corsair is lightyears behind. I am myself having alot of issues with a mouse I just bought and now that I'm reading everything that everyone is posting, feels like I've made a wrong choice.:(:

I'd love to see a source and anything other than anecdotal evidence for this claim.

I have around 7 Win 10 machines at home that have all been through major updates without issue and also without removing 'major drivers'. I also look after a network with nearly 500 Win 10 machines on it. They're all remotely managed, get major updates and there is rarely an issue with major updates.

Clearly, I'm not saying that windows updates (any of them) never cause issues. Sometimes the fix may be to re-install a driver or a different version that is compatible.

It is NOT helpful for people to spread dis-information. Issues in this thread aside, the quoted statement is simply untrue.

I completely agree with this.

Its funny because everyone has the sabe Windows bugs and motherboard bugs but seems like when it comes to brands when they compare Corsair with others, seems like corsair is lightyears behind. I am myself having alot of issues with a mouse I just bought and now that I'm reading everything that everyone is posting, feels like I've made a wrong choice.:(:

And this.

What? Like a white paper from a 'now unemployed' Microsoft engineer who recommends reinstalling drivers after major updates? This is the internet. 99.999% of everything is anecdotal.

You see, sweetheart, this is 100% pure fanboyism. Everyone is reading your love letters to Corsair and does not trust you.

You see, sweetheart, this is 100% pure fanboyism. Everyone is reading your love letters to Corsair and does not trust you.

Only you can read multiple paragraphs involving a wide range of situations, in which the current state of their software never discussed, and come away with “fan boy”. In fact, there is no defense of the software or brand anywhere in my posts. I am not sure why your persistent trolling is tolerated, but each and every time you come off like an unhappy 9 year old who just wants some attention.

This is the internet. 99.999% of everything is anecdotal. Clearly the statement is my opinion and this is a reminder of why you shouldn't use definitive language without additional modifiers like "I recommend" or "I suggest", all of which are implied.

I would recommend that you search for those terms in your original post; I would suggest that you won't find them. Your whole post is definitive language.

I've never had a problem with my Pro Tools/Reaper/Maschine mk2/Komplete DAW rig. Because some of that stuff takes so damn long to install it has had in-place upgrades since the clean install of the RTM.

My issue is ONLY is with the statement - presented as fact - that you need to uninstall "major" drivers. I fully accept that there will be isolated and specific cases where that may be the case but it is NOT a rule that everyone, or even the minority, "needs" to follow. These are corner cases. Quoted below:

However, any time you do a major Windows update like these semi-annual "service upgrades", you need to remove and reinstall all of your major drivers (video, sound, and certainly things like iCUE/CUE2/Link). You are asking for trouble if you don't.

The only issue I've ever had with a Win 10 update is when Microsoft removed functionality that disabled my C920 webcam. This wasn't a driver issue nor was it something that could have been avoided by a clean install or removing those drivers prior to the update.

If you were to suggest that people image or otherwise backup their install prior to performing a "major" Win 10 update then I would back that 100%. Unlikely to be needed, but fantastic if it goes wrong.

Let's not derail this thread any further; happy to discuss via PM or another thread if you feel the need.

• Corsair Employee

I think if you look on the support forums for any software, even video games, you'll see the same thing as what you see here.

Archived