Corsair Community

Microstar K8T Neo2-Fir dont function with my Corsair Twinx CMX256A-3200C2 XMS3200C2

Freddy

Hi there

I have this Corsair Twinx CMX256A-3200C2 XMS3200C2 memory and this memory doesn’t work at all on this Microstar K8T Neo2-Fir [Gbe Lan;IEEE1394, SATA RAID] Socket 939 motherboard. I have tried to install this two twin memory’s in DIMM 1 green slot and DIMM 3 purple slot or DIMM 2 green slot DIMM 4 purple slot and those direction doesn’t work, and i only got a blank screen if i trying those direction. It only works when i installing only one memory in DIMM 1 or DIMM2 and i only then got 256MB single memory if i doing that. I have upgrading all drivers and also upgrading my Amibios bios and this doesn’t help either, they say on MSI forum that they having big problems with Corsair memory’s and that this memory`s doesn’t work on this Microstar motherboard. Corsair memory’s webpage saying that this twin memory`s does support this motherboard, but this can`t be truth. What shell i doing with this twinx memory’s? It does work if i installing this memory’s in both DIMM2&DIMM2 but i then got DDR333 and not DDR400 dual channel. I have try almost everything to having my twinx memory’s to function as DDR400 dual channel but this seams to being imposible on this motherboard, I know that many more people have the same problem as I have, and they are of course very disappointed when they cant use their memory’s that they have buoyed as an twinx dual channel DDR400 memory’s conclusion on their systems. What shell I doing to get my Corsair memory’s to function on my system, that’s the big question, or must I send my memory back to the reseller and try to changing to other memory’s before I can use my computer as I hade planed to do. My settings now are this: 3-3-3-8 and I only run this computer on one 256MB stick in DIMM 1, because its not any good to run both memory’s in this moment and only having an instable system that are running on DDR333 MHz on DIMM1&DIMM2. (sorry for my bad English guys) Please help me solving this problem and tell me what to do. Are my Twinx memory’s compatible with my motherboard and my system or not?

Via K8T800Pro : (ECC: is disabled in the bios)

Is this setting correct or wrong, and how and where do you changing this setting in the bios?? My bios are Amibios ver 3.30 i think it is.

My memory’s are as bellow, with this label text on the memory:

Corsair CMX256A-3200C2 XMS3202v4.1

XMS3200 256MB 400MHZ nr : 0437095-1

My system is this:

Case:Aspire x-infinity miditower

Powersupply:Aspire 520w with 3-fans and blue leds

Motherboard:MSI K8T Neo2-Fir [Gbe Lan;IEEE1394, SATA RAID] Socket 939

Videocard:Gainward Geforce 6800 128MB GDDR3/Ultra 2100 GS AGP8

CD:DVD Reader Liteone

CD burner:Plextor Plexwriter 40/12/40A

Floppy:Teac standard floppy

Monitor:Hitachi CM751ET 19"

Harddisk:Maxtor DiamondMax Plus9 6y160po 160 GB 7200rpm

Processor:AMD Athlon64 3500+2200Mhz 90nm Winchester core

Memory:Corsair TWINX512-3200C2 DDR-DIMM 512MB Kit w/two matched/256-512MB 3200C2

Processor cooler:Zalman CNPS7000B-Alcu for socket 939

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If they both pass, then I would make sure that you have the latest MB bios and if you do, I would RMA the CPU as that would suggest a problem with the memory controller.
Thank you Ram guy for your answer (you see i am not so good to understand som english words) what do you mean with RMA? i have already asking you before about this memory problem`s and you gave me some advice to testing my memory`s one by one with memtest86, and i have already done that and also setting up the settings you told my to do and the memtest86 did testing evry memory in slot 1 one by one, and i run this test for about 10 passed with no errors, but when i testing both memorys in slot1 and slot2 i only got DDR333 and not any DDR400, do you understand me what i mean? and once again i am very bad in english.

The only way to getting Dual channel on this motherboard and DDR400 is tho setting the sticks in DIMM1&DIMM3 or DIMM2 and DIMM4. You can’t have any dual channel in the other slots. That’s what the motherboard manual says are the correct installation of the sticks. Everything on my computer is brand new and I have also checking the cpu 3 times to making sure that there are no pins that are being bend and so on. I know that MSI having really big trouble with this Corsair memory’s and that it wouldn’t function on this boards. Either it have to be the memory’s that are not compatible with MSI motherboards or something wrong with this revision 1 motherboard. I have installing cpu-z and it detected anything wrong with this cpu, the problem must be to make all settings in the bios as it should be. I have also the latest bios installed and running Windows xp professional sp2, Swedish version of course. Are this memory´s compatible to this board?

Please test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org. If they both pass, then I would make sure that you have the latest MB bios and if you do, I would RMA the CPU as that would suggest a problem with the memory controller.
How can you more testing the cpu to make sure that it is not the cpu that are causing this problem and how can you be sure that it is not the motherboard that are causing all this memory problem’s. That’s also some questions to having answer about?? Who knows? MSI are blaming this memory problem on the memory manufactures and also to AMD and so on.

• Corsair Employee

Freddy, It’s really simple at this point. But I do understand your frustration. Let’s simplify the problem as you have posted it, or how I understand what you have posted. If the answer is Yes to all three questions, then I would RMA the CPU.

1. You have a Twinx set of modules only one set of 2 modules, right?

2. Either module will run at DDR400 and pass http://www.memtest.org when installed one at a time on your MB?

3. But the system will not post when both modules are installed in dual channel configuration, is that right?

And I do not know what language you speak so here it is in french and german.

Freddy, il est vraiment simple en ce moment. Mais je comprends votre anéantissement. simplifions le problème comme vous l'avez signalé, ou comment je comprends ce que vous avez signalé. Si la réponse est oui à chacune des trois questions, alors je RMA l'unité centrale de traitement.

1. Vous avez un Twinx réglé des modules seulement un ensemble de 2 modules, droite?

2. L'un ou l'autre module fonctionnera à DDR400 et passera http://www.memtest.org quand un par un installé sur votre mb?

3. Est-ce que mais le système quand les deux modules sont installés dans la configuration de canal double, cela ne signalera pas est exact?

Freddy, ist es an diesem Punkt wirklich einfach. Aber ich verstehe Ihre Frustration. Lassen Sie uns das Problem vereinfachen, wie Sie es bekanntgegeben haben, oder wie ich verstehe, was Sie bekanntgegeben haben. Wenn die Antwort ja zu allen drei Fragen ist, dann wurde ich RMA die CPU.

1. Sie haben ein Twinx, das von den Modulen nur ein Satz von 2 Modulen, Recht eingestellt wird?

2. Jedes Modul läuft an DDR400 und führt http://www.memtest.org wenn angebrachtes einzeln auf Ihrem MB?

3. Aber das System nicht, wann beide Module in Doppelkanalkonfiguration angebracht werden, ist gibt das recht bekannt?

Freddy, It’s really simple at this point. But I do understand your frustration. Let’s simplify the problem as you have posted it, or how I understand what you have posted. If the answer is Yes to all three questions, then I would RMA the CPU.

1. You have a Twinx set of modules only one set of 2 modules, right?

2. Either module will run at DDR400 and pass http://www.memtest.org when installed one at a time on your MB?

3. But the system will not post when both modules are installed in dual channel configuration, is that right?

And I do not know what language you speak so here it is in french and german.

Thank you Ram Guy for your answer. My answer on 2 questions are YES ! And guestion nr 2 are NO. When you ar running one singel memory it runs in DDR400, but when you having both sticks installed in slot 1 & 2 it runs at DDR333. Sorry but i am going to RMA this memory`s and Buy some other memory’s that are function better on this motherboard. Can you give me any tip on what kind of memory I should buy for my system, between 512MB-1024MB ? And did you miss it? I am of course Swedish and naturally i then speaking Swedish and some english. And it`s nothing wrong about my cpu. It would be better for me if you translating to swedish than to France, because i don`t understand france.

I am not sure how much knowledge you have in this subject, so I will cover the basics just to be safe. The Memory controller, which is located on the Athlon64 itself, is responsible for the memory speed. If the memory controller has a problem, or is overstressed, it will drop the speed down to 333 Mhz. With more than 2 sticks it will do this even if it does not have a problem. It is designed to do this. For instance, on your board's manual, page 2-8, it says that with 4 sticks it will be set to 333 Mhz.

Anyway, it says to use the closest purple slot and the closest green slot to the CPU for dual channel, which I do realize you have already done. Keep in mind, that your motherboard only supports memory installed into it in 3 combinations:

1. one stick in the closest green slot to the CPU (400 Mhz)

2. one stick in the closest green slot to the CPU and one stick in the closest purple slot to the CPU (400 Mhz)

3. All 4 slots filled (333 Mhz)

To be safe, I'd test your memory in another system if possible. The main problem is, there's just not enough evidence to prove without a doubt if it is the memory, CPU, or motherboard (highly doubtful that it is the motherboard though). The easiest thing to test is the memory in another system, or other memory in your system.

Also, if you have links to the threads where people are talking about incompatibilities, it would help to post them here so that they can be investigated. Also, if helps, feel free to post in Swedish as well as English, as I know someone from that area of the world who may be able to translate, gotta ask him first though if he speaks Swedish.

I am not sure how much knowledge you have in this subject, so I will cover the basics just to be safe. The Memory controller, which is located on the Athlon64 itself, is responsible for the memory speed. If the memory controller has a problem, or is overstressed, it will drop the speed down to 333 Mhz. With more than 2 sticks it will do this even if it does not have a problem. It is designed to do this. For instance, on your board's manual, page 2-8, it says that with 4 sticks it will be set to 333 Mhz.

Anyway, it says to use the closest purple slot and the closest green slot to the CPU for dual channel, which I do realize you have already done. Keep in mind, that your motherboard only supports memory installed into it in 3 combinations:

1. one stick in the closest green slot to the CPU (400 Mhz)

2. one stick in the closest green slot to the CPU and one stick in the closest purple slot to the CPU (400 Mhz)

3. All 4 slots filled (333 Mhz)

To be safe, I'd test your memory in another system if possible. The main problem is, there's just not enough evidence to prove without a doubt if it is the memory, CPU, or motherboard (highly doubtful that it is the motherboard though). The easiest thing to test is the memory in another system, or other memory in your system.

Also, if you have links to the threads where people are talking about incompatibilities, it would help to post them here so that they can be investigated. Also, if helps, feel free to post in Swedish as well as English, as I know someone from that area of the world who may be able to translate, gotta ask him first though if he speaks Swedish.

This has being a really wired situation and problem for me, and this is my third computer i have build by my self and i have never hade any problem before with any hardware compatibility problems and so one. First I believed that it was a problem with my MSI motherboard and that many MSI users hade really big problem to find memory’s that are compatibles with the board, this board are also only supported 2.5 voltage for the memory’s and that can be a problem, I still believe that this motherboard can have to do with this issues.

Over at MSI homepage forum site there are many peoples sitting stuck because they have buoyed wrong kind of memory’s for their MSI boards, and of course I understand they are getting frustration when they cant get their memory’s to function at all, and this motherboards have big problems with Corsair and twinMos and other memory’s , this kind of memory’s does not function with this MSI boards and I don’t know what the reason to that can be. Many has saying that there is the cpu that are causing this problem an not any thing else. AMD are not making any bad processors and i believe that it hade to do with the other hardware’s that are not compatible with the processor and so on.The motherboard, memory’s, video card and other that you put in to the mother board must having a god cooperating together, it hade to be something like that i think and not blaming this issues only to the processor and think that it must be the processor memory controller that are not function, everything have to function together as one unit to get all this to function.

I have checked the processor three times to see if any pins ore bending and if I have installing the processor in wrong way, but it is not the processors fault. It can of course be the motherboard that are causing this or something wrong with the bios.Cmos or anything else. This twin memory’s are not compatible on this motherboard, because I hade borrow another and a little older 512MB single pc 2700 memory from a friend and then my computer function great but not with this twin memory’s. I hope you understand what I try to explain in bad English. I am sure that it is the memory’s that are causing this problem. Yes... my memory`s have being tested on my frends computer and it works great in all slots, but he have got a Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard

Only 2.5 volts? Yeah, that might do it. There's probably a bunch of memory then that won't play nice on that board because of not getting enough volts.

Thank´s again for your answer dear friend, you can read any kind of wired problems with this MSI motherboard over at MSI forum, and those guys having a really big problems with this boards, and i don`t know why not this board are supporting this memory`s ? but many having big troubles with those boards ( sorry for my bad spelling )

Here are some links to MSI forum threads an all kind of problems:

This is only one exemple, there are many more memory problems, keep on serching on this forum.

Search for this treath etc:MSI HQ User Community Forum AMD64 VIA-AMD based board Will MSI release a Bios fix for Twinmos + K8T Neo-FIS2R --------

http://forum.msi.com.tw/board.php?boardid=24

Is it possible to having this memory’s to function as a Dual Channel memory in any way and maybe try some last settings in the bios, before i must give up this? And to have it function in either slots 1&3 or slots 2&4 because this is the settings that makes dual channel and DDR400, if it works as it should.

Archived