Corsair Community

Need your help, wich fans do i need for my case (Air Series)?

Yakir51

I don't know ... I'm sure that there are DC/3-pin fan controllers out there. My Phanteks case actually came with a PWM-to-DC converter/hub thing. It worked (kinda) even if it reported wacky fan speeds. Something like that may exist on the market ... dunno. Or a traditional fan hub/controller for 3 pin/DC fans. There are lots of those but most take a drive bay.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know ... I'm sure that there are DC/3-pin fan controllers out there. My Phanteks case actually came with a PWM-to-DC converter/hub thing. It worked (kinda) even if it reported wacky fan speeds. Something like that may exist on the market ... dunno. Or a traditional fan hub/controller for 3 pin/DC fans. There are lots of those but most take a drive bay.

This?: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M0R05WE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513618456&sr=8-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=3pin+fan+controller&dpPl=1&dpID=31w851BADcL&ref=plSrch

That looks like an enclosed version of what came in my case. Should work; will allow fan control via PWM. Just keep in mind ... all fans will be the same speed. If you are good with that, then go for it.

And I'd be curious to know if you get some crazy speed readings occasionally as well (like ... 15000 RPM).

That looks like an enclosed version of what came in my case. Should work; will allow fan control via PWM. Just keep in mind ... all fans will be the same speed. If you are good with that, then go for it.

And I'd be curious to know if you get some crazy speed readings occasionally as well (like ... 15000 RPM).

What speed should the fans be for the best? I guess 1500 its too fast lol

What speed should the fans be for the best? I guess 1500 its too fast lol

There is no one speed that's "best". It depends on airflow, ambient temperature, system temperature and your own tolerance for noise.

It'll usually vary based on source temperature as well. Warmer systems (like when they are under load) need more airflow. Systems at idle need less.

And the crazy speed reading was just that ... crazy. It wasn't at 15K RPM. No way, no how. the fan was around 700 RPM and would, occasionally, report 15000 RPM. That wasn't the actual speed.

I have an idea! I readed again all our convo.

I can fo that:

Front: x2 140mm ML or HD PWM.

top: 120mm AF PWM

back: 120mm AF PWM.

Hows that sound? Since in this option all PWM, u said previously that their better.

I can get the Silverstone fan controller eich is 4 pin PWM.

Hope that idea will be good.

Now ill need to see wich MLor HD ill take, seems HD is cheaper.

And the crazy speed reading was just that ... crazy. It wasn't at 15K RPM. No way, no how. the fan was around 700 RPM and would, occasionally, report 15000 RPM. That wasn't the actual speed.

Ok buddy so here is my final options as your advice:

Option 1:

X2 HD140mm (includes all the pack with lightning controller and the 6 fan hub 4 pin).

X2 AF120 Quite edition (or high performance or SP).

CPU COOLER - Cryorig H7.

Total: 135.34$

Option 2:

CPU COOLER - Cryorig H7.

X2 AF120 Quite edition (or high performance or SP).

X2 AF140 Quite edition.

Phanteks fan hub (3pin).

Total: 133.46$

Those ar the options, tell me please wich one is the best.

I searched the ML140 RGB Pack with the node pro but none send it to my country.

Thnx again for everything, learned alot from you

Option 1 isn't a viable option, unfortunately. The Fan controller hub that comes with the HD fans only powers and controls the RGB, it doesn't control fan speeds or provide power to turn the fans. You don't have enough fan headers on your motherboard to do that unfortunately.

I'd consider the SPs for the front ... you have a filter on the front and the SPs will handles the resistance due to the filter a bit better than the AFs. But the AFs should work.

Option 1 isn't a viable option, unfortunately. The Fan controller hub that comes with the HD fans only powers and controls the RGB, it doesn't control fan speeds or provide power to turn the fans. You don't have enough fan headers on your motherboard to do that unfortunately.

I'd consider the SPs for the front ... you have a filter on the front and the SPs will handles the resistance due to the filter a bit better than the AFs. But the AFs should work.

Ohh, pff im so lost then because there isnt 140mm SP, Only AF.

Then im back to the beggining again.. uff.

So i belive my only option if i want those AF/SP its just with Y splliter.

Cpu cooler goes to 4 pin alone the rest on splitter or commander pro but its too expensive.

Ohh, pff im so lost then because there isnt 140mm SP, Only AF.

Then im back to the beggining again.. uff

The AFs will work. SP was a suggestion if possible ... they'd probably be a tad better.

I do have 1 machine where there are 2 140mm AFs behind a filter. Because they had the purple and my daughter likes the purple. :roll:

The AFs will work. SP was a suggestion if possible ... they'd probably be a tad better.

I do have 1 machine where there are 2 140mm AFs behind a filter. Because they had the purple and my daughter likes the purple. :roll:

Cpu cooler goes to 4 pin alone the rest on splitter or commander pro but its too expensive.

Well, you need the hub too. That single chassis fan header is a killer.

And keep the CoPro in mind as a future upgrade. It'll definitely open up a world of options for you. One of the good things about building your own system is that you can continually upgrade/add to it as budget allows.

Well, you need the hub too. That single chassis fan header is a killer.

And keep the CoPro in mind as a future upgrade. It'll definitely open up a world of options for you. One of the good things about building your own system is that you can continually upgrade/add to it as budget allows.

Wich hub? The phanteks one?

Yup ... your option #2.

You'll have limited control over the fan speeds ... you'll control them as a single unit. But that will work for you and provide at least some measure of control over your airflow.

And that's one of the benefits that the Commander Pro ... should you choose to add it later ... would bring - you'd have very fine control over your fan speeds and, therefore, your noise.

Yup ... your option #2.

You'll have limited control over the fan speeds ... you'll control them as a single unit. But that will work for you and provide at least some measure of control over your airflow.

And that's one of the benefits that the Commander Pro ... should you choose to add it later ... would bring - you'd have very fine control over your fan speeds and, therefore, your noise.

=) but when your saying it sound like it will be bad choice to go for option 2.

Cpu will plug to 4 pin header alone, and the controller to the 2nd 4 pin connector on the mobo controller with the 4 AF fans.

1 question, what is the diffrence from that phanteks hub then a Molex to x4 fan fan connectors wich will ne alot cheaper.

No, it can control both 3 pin/DC and 4 pin/PWM fans. Just like a motherboard header. It will usually auto-detect the fan type but you can also manually set it.

Dunno, i still think 100$ its insane, thats the price almost for all the 4 fans and cpu cooler...

Anyway i am more confused now.

Cuz molex to fan head Y splitter will do the job but wont control them, the phanteks controller will do same with no controll and the Nzxt grid + aswell.

I dont see what the diffrence between all (exept the commander pro)

Dunno, i still think 100$ its insane, thats the price almost for all the 4 fans and cpu cooler...

Anyway i am more confused now.

Cuz molex to fan head Y splitter will do the job but wont control them, the phanteks controller will do same with no controll and the Nzxt grid + aswell.

I dont see what the diffrence between all (exept the commander pro)

Molex to fan splitter will run them at full speed, all the time. That's loud.

Phanteks controller will allow you to adjust the fan speeds as a single unit. That'll keep noise down.

NZXT Grid+, from what I can tell on the web site, is like a super-simple Commander Pro; it does fan control but not lighting, doesn't have temperature sensors, and doesn't have the USB hub.

Molex to fan splitter will run them at full speed, all the time. That's loud.

Phanteks controller will allow you to adjust the fan speeds as a single unit. That'll keep noise down.

NZXT Grid+, from what I can tell on the web site, is like a super-simple Commander Pro; it does fan control but not lighting, doesn't have temperature sensors, and doesn't have the USB hub.

Now you set my head abit better, ok so now ill canceled the molex option wich givs me the other 2.

About what you said on the phanteks controller, i thought i couldnt controll them, how could i controll them ( i understand it will be as single unit.

About the nzxt grid i saw now a video that shows abit, i could controll it aswell as a single unit but with more features as i seen.

With the Phanteks controller, it's plugged in to the single fan header on your motherboard. You would then use the motherboard BIOS to set the fan speeds/fan curves. Or, possibly, the motherboard software to do it from Windows.

Can't say for sure with the NZXT ... I would think you could control them individually but that's just me thinking into pure air. There's no research or experience behind that. But ... again ... I don't know for sure. I've got a Commander Pro, personally, and I quite like it so I've no interest in it.

With the Phanteks controller, it's plugged in to the single fan header on your motherboard. You would then use the motherboard BIOS to set the fan speeds/fan curves. Or, possibly, the motherboard software to do it from Windows.

Can't say for sure with the NZXT ... I would think you could control them individually but that's just me thinking into pure air. There's no research or experience behind that. But ... again ... I don't know for sure. I've got a Commander Pro, personally, and I quite like it so I've no interest in it.

Great! The picture is alot clear now.

I will research about the Grid, if it able to individually controll ill take that, if not the phanteks.

Now the last thing and im done.

Not sure if i alardy mentioned it befor.

In amazon and all other sites+shops on my country what i could find is that.

AF/SP 120 both in quite edition and high performance.

only SP120 quite edition have PWM.

and the only 140mm in market is AF quite edition.

Because of that it changes the SETUP you told me to take.

But by the way the 2 front 140 in the case wont be seein so i dont mind take other 140 fan for the front instead SP/AF if u think its smart

The AF will work fine in the front ... the SP was a suggestion if it was possible/feasible as they'd be a little better but not significantly so. Since the SP isn't available ... go with the AF fan.

You would definitely want 140's over 120's given the choice ... quieter with more airflow.

The AF will work fine in the front ... the SP was a suggestion if it was possible/feasible as they'd be a little better but not significantly so. Since the SP isn't available ... go with the AF fan.

You would definitely want 140's over 120's given the choice ... quieter with more airflow.

So x2 140 in front quite edition.

Top 120 or 140? Quite or performance.

Back 120 quite or performance

Archived