Corsair Community

Need your help, wich fans do i need for my case (Air Series)?

Yakir51

Hey there, new here.

I recently got the NZXT S340 Elite Case, wich can fill that:

Front: 2x 140/2x120mm

Top: 1x 140/120mm

Rear: 1x 120mm

I am interesting in the AF120/140, i heard that the AF is for the case and SP for radiators.

So if im right i need to take the AF, My qustion is wich one i should take(quite rdition or high performance and 120 or 140) and where to put it.

For example:

top - 140/120 high performance.

Rear - 120 quite edition

Front - x2 140/120 quite edition.

I hope i explained myself right and i hope you could help me out to understand what i need.

Thnx for everyone that will help

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in general, AF is better for case fans and SP is better for radiators. It's a question of how the blades are designed. AF fans will give you greater air flow and a wider dispersion of air. The SP fans will create a tighter "column" of air and push better through resistance (like radiators). You also have fans like the ML series that are really well balanced for both scenarios and are also super-quiet.

Generally, given a choice, I will, personally, always take 140mm fans over 120mm fans. Greater airflow with less noise is a win in my book.

You also need to consider the total air flow in the system and to make sure that components on the motherboard are getting the cool air that they need. This is especially true for memory and NVMe drives. You've not mentioned if your system is liquid cooled or air cooled ... I'm assuming air cooled. The air cooler will actually help in cooling the motherboard components. I've found that, at least in my case, the single fan that has the greatest impact on cooling my motherboard components (NVMe drive, memory) is the rear exhaust ... and the GPU fan. But I'm also water cooled, so I don't have a big fan sitting atop my CPU.

You've also not mentioned what control options are available for controlling your fans. Both the AF and the SP fans are 3-pin, DC controlled. The ML series fans as well as the HD and LL fans are 4-pin, PWM controlled. DC control alters fan speeds by altering the voltage supplied to the fan (usually between 7v and 12v). PWM fans provide a constant 12v of power and control the speed using a pulse width modulation signal on the fourth wire. PWM fans provide a greater range of control as well as more precise control. Newer motherboards will have more 4-pin headers, if not exclusively 4-pin headers that can provide both DC and PWM control of fans. Older motherboards will have more 3-pin headers. Again, given a choice, I prefer the 4-pin fans over 3-pin.

Finally, you also want to consider air flow balance ... intake vs. exhaust. Again, in general, positive pressure (more intake vs exhaust) is preferable; it will help keep dust out of your system as long as your intake fans are filtered. This can be achieved by your fan speed control as well as the fan selection and placement.

Now, with all of that said, in your situation, I would start with:

Front: 2x 140. I would go with Performance edition. This will give you more flexibility; you can always use the step-down adapter or fan control if you need it quieter.

Rear: 1x 120. I would go with the Performance edition here. This will help pull air over the motherboard as well as get hot air from your GPU and CPU out.

Top: 1x 140 Quiet or Performance Edition ... heat naturally rises; you just need to give it a little help getting out.

Ideally, if you have the PWM headers and the budget for it, I'd go with the ML series fans. They provide excellent airflow AND pressure, a wide range of control, and are insanely quiet for the performance that they provide. Yes, they are a bit more expensive but the bearing won't wear out as there's no friction ... so they should last for a good long time. While I've (personally) found that the Corsair fan bearings tend to be higher quality and longer lasting, sleeve and hydraulic bearings will eventually wear out.

Well, in general, AF is better for case fans and SP is better for radiators. It's a question of how the blades are designed. AF fans will give you greater air flow and a wider dispersion of air. The SP fans will create a tighter "column" of air and push better through resistance (like radiators). You also have fans like the ML series that are really well balanced for both scenarios and are also super-quiet.

Generally, given a choice, I will, personally, always take 140mm fans over 120mm fans. Greater airflow with less noise is a win in my book.

You also need to consider the total air flow in the system and to make sure that components on the motherboard are getting the cool air that they need. This is especially true for memory and NVMe drives. You've not mentioned if your system is liquid cooled or air cooled ... I'm assuming air cooled. The air cooler will actually help in cooling the motherboard components. I've found that, at least in my case, the single fan that has the greatest impact on cooling my motherboard components (NVMe drive, memory) is the rear exhaust ... and the GPU fan. But I'm also water cooled, so I don't have a big fan sitting atop my CPU.

You've also not mentioned what control options are available for controlling your fans. Both the AF and the SP fans are 3-pin, DC controlled. The ML series fans as well as the HD and LL fans are 4-pin, PWM controlled. DC control alters fan speeds by altering the voltage supplied to the fan (usually between 7v and 12v). PWM fans provide a constant 12v of power and control the speed using a pulse width modulation signal on the fourth wire. PWM fans provide a greater range of control as well as more precise control. Newer motherboards will have more 4-pin headers, if not exclusively 4-pin headers that can provide both DC and PWM control of fans. Older motherboards will have more 3-pin headers. Again, given a choice, I prefer the 4-pin fans over 3-pin.

Finally, you also want to consider air flow balance ... intake vs. exhaust. Again, in general, positive pressure (more intake vs exhaust) is preferable; it will help keep dust out of your system as long as your intake fans are filtered. This can be achieved by your fan speed control as well as the fan selection and placement.

Now, with all of that said, in your situation, I would start with:

Front: 2x 140. I would go with Performance edition. This will give you more flexibility; you can always use the step-down adapter or fan control if you need it quieter.

Rear: 1x 120. I would go with the Performance edition here. This will help pull air over the motherboard as well as get hot air from your GPU and CPU out.

Top: 1x 140 Quiet or Performance Edition ... heat naturally rises; you just need to give it a little help getting out.

Ideally, if you have the PWM headers and the budget for it, I'd go with the ML series fans. They provide excellent airflow AND pressure, a wide range of control, and are insanely quiet for the performance that they provide. Yes, they are a bit more expensive but the bearing won't wear out as there's no friction ... so they should last for a good long time. While I've (personally) found that the Corsair fan bearings tend to be higher quality and longer lasting, sleeve and hydraulic bearings will eventually wear out.

Hey there buddy, thnx for this awosome reply =).

About what you said, ill start with that i dont have much knowledge in it... and i do use air cooler (more correct i am gone purchase one also with those fans, saw on amazon the "CRYORIG" still dunno wich one to take the H5 or the H7).

You mentioned PWM, i have no clue what does it means but i assume that its a better version of those AF/SP that i mentioned?

One more thing, im pretty sure that my motherboard is an old version "Asus H110M-K".

i do not have any controller to be honest for the fans and i do not know about the pins you mentioned (3/4).

One more thing, my uses in the PC ar minimal, to be super honest i do that upgrade more for the Asthetic.

I want my setup will be beutifull.

Thats why i want the AF with the red ring that will suit awosome.

You did mentioned how to set it up, but please take a look that my uses ar minimal and more for Asthetic.

"Front: 2x 140. I would go with Performance edition. This will give you more flexibility; you can always use the step-down adapter or fan control if you need it quieter.

Top: 1x 140 Quiet or Performance Edition ... heat naturally rises; you just need to give it a little help getting out".

Thnx alot for your time and help, i am appreciate it alot.

Im starting to understand more and more but as i said thers still things i do not know and need you assist

Well, the Asus H110M-K isn't all that old. It's a Skylake/Kaby Lake board so it's pretty recent. The challenge that you'll quickly run into with that motherboard, however, is a lack of fan headers ... you only have two. Even with splitters, you may not have enough available amperage to power the fans; the AF High Performance LED fans are rated at .40A while the Quiet Edition non-LED look like they are 0.09A ... fan headers are typically limited at 1.0A. Other variations are somewhere in between.

Now ... when you say "aesthetic" ... what is the look that you are going for? The desired aesthetic is different for everyone. For example, Zotty and I both like blinky flashy multi-colored lights so that's a look that we go for. My son wants his to be all red, all the time. My daughter likes blue and purple. You, on the other hand, may find all of that distasteful and prefer a build that has no lights or be happy with one color.

Also, how important is the noise factor for you?

On PWM vs DC Fans:

PWM-controlled fans use a Pulse Width Modulation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-width_modulation) signal to control fan speed. This signal is provided on a 4th pin; you'll also see them referred to as "4-pin fans". The duty cycle of the PWM signal controls the fan speed and the fan is powered with a constant 12V. Because the fan is getting a constant 12V of power, the control range for the fan speed is usually much wider ... they can go slower. DC fans (3-pin fans) control the fan speed by changing the amount of voltage that is sent to the fan. Typically, this will range between 7V and 12V. So you have a narrower control range for the fans AND, if the fans have LEDs that are powered with the fan (most single color LEDs are), then the LEDs will dim and brighten with the fan speed.

On the air cooling front ... I can't tell you. I'm not as familiar with that and I only have one system that I've built in the house that is air cooled ... and that's only because it's in a media case that won't fit a liquid cooler.

Some info on PWM vs. DC:

And a good video on SP vs AF fan:

For the Astethic, my setup is all black and red, but clean.

I am still not 100% sure about it, i have another option of 5 aigo fans with red led.

But if ill put those AF non led with red rings, that could be awosome with some white led stripe.

About my motherboard i didnt understanded much, if i dont take the Led one, i can do it? Do i need some controller? To take normal fan or the PWM? What should i do im kinda lost with all that information =).

Here is an example of what i plan to do in the case, somthing around that: https://imgur.com/a/JcqrH

Edited by Yakir51

The only thing you need to understand of PWM vs DC control is the number of pins and what happens when you plug a DC fan into a PWM controller.

DC fans will have a 3 pin connector. The fan controller works by changing the voltage between 5v-12v. This does have an effect on most LED fans since the brightness will decrease along with the voltage. This applies to the AF120/140 LED series.

PWM fans have a 4 pin connector and get a 12v supply all the time. Speed changes are done by sending a "P"ulse signal to the fan to tell it to change speed. LED or RGB fans that are PWM will have a constant brightness since the power supply is always 12v. However, if you plug a 3 pin DC fan into a PWM only controller, it will run at 100% all the time.

The only other thing of note is minimum fan speed. Most DC fans have a minimum of approximately 60% of the maximum speed. A 1000 rpm 140mm DC fan, likely cannot run much below 600 RPM. This matters when selecting high RPM models (2000+ rpm) where it would result in a rather loud minimum. PWM fans vary, but often run as low as 25-30% of the maximum. This would be the argument for getting the "Quiet" edition of the AF series fans. Those can be stepped down to near inaudible levels for desktop work. The higher speed performance editions cannot run quite so low. Most people would be fine with either, but if trying for a very quiet system where you don't want or need a lot of fan speed, the quiet edition may be more pleasing.

With your motherboard, I would limit it to 3 fans ... at most.

2 SP Quiet in the front.

1 AF performance in the rear exhaust.

That should give you the best balance without overloading your single fan header. You may be able to get away with a single LED fan but only a single color LED.

I wouldn't do any more than 3 with only 1 fan header on the motherboard unless you get a fan hub.

I don't know much about the Aigo fans. I've heard of them, sure, but haven't used them myself.

With your motherboard, I would limit it to 3 fans ... at most.

2 SP Quiet in the front.

1 AF performance in the rear exhaust.

That should give you the best balance without overloading your single fan header. You may be able to get away with a single LED fan but only a single color LED.

I wouldn't do any more than 3 with only 1 fan header on the motherboard unless you get a fan hub.

I don't know much about the Aigo fans. I've heard of them, sure, but haven't used them myself.

Fan header you mean the fan on the cpu cooler?

And about the 3 fans, do i plug them straight to the motherboard or with some controller? If with controller wich one do i need?

And as i said for asthetic, i would like more to have 1 at the top and 1 at rear since those 2 you can see

Fan header you mean the fan on the cpu cooler?

No. The fan headers are on your motherboard. Fans will plug into the fan headers. They provide power to the fans as well as enable you to control the fan speed. Fan speed determines both the noise level and the air flow.

And about the 3 fans, do i plug them straight to the motherboard or with some controller? If with controller wich one do i need?

Unless you get a fan controller ... like the Commander Pro ... you'll need to have a 3 way splitter off of the Chassis Fan header on the motherboard. You'll also be limited in how you can control the fans.

And as i said for asthetic, i would like more to have 1 at the top and 1 at rear since those 2 you can see

Unless you get a fan controller, I don't feel comfortable with 4 fans off of a single header. You DO NOT want to burn out your motherboard fan headers for "aesthetics".

I know you want a definite "Do A. Do B. Do C". I would rather help you learn what you need to make these decisions yourself ... I'd rather help you learn to fish than hand you a bunch of fish. There's a lot of variables in the equation and LOTS of things that you can do. There are also always trade-offs and compromises that need to be made and, in the end, it's YOUR system that YOU need to live with, understand and, hopefully, enjoy using. I also don't know your budget.

And, honestly, liquid cooling would probably be better in your situation, even better than a fan hub. You could take an H115i and mount it on the front with 2 Red ML Pro series fans. You'd then be able to have 2 additional fans ... with Red LEDs ... in the rear and the back. Your intake would then be through the radiator. But that's outside the constraints and requirements that you presented.

No. The fan headers are on your motherboard. Fans will plug into the fan headers. They provide power to the fans as well as enable you to control the fan speed. Fan speed determines both the noise level and the air flow.

Unless you get a fan controller ... like the Commander Pro ... you'll need to have a 3 way splitter off of the Chassis Fan header on the motherboard. You'll also be limited in how you can control the fans.

Unless you get a fan controller, I don't feel comfortable with 4 fans off of a single header. You DO NOT want to burn out your motherboard fan headers for "aesthetics".

I know you want a definite "Do A. Do B. Do C". I would rather help you learn what you need to make these decisions yourself ... I'd rather help you learn to fish than hand you a bunch of fish. There's a lot of variables in the equation and LOTS of things that you can do. There are also always trade-offs and compromises that need to be made and, in the end, it's YOUR system that YOU need to live with, understand and, hopefully, enjoy using. I also don't know your budget.

And, honestly, liquid cooling would probably be better in your situation, even better than a fan hub. You could take an H115i and mount it on the front with 2 Red ML Pro series fans. You'd then be able to have 2 additional fans ... with Red LEDs ... in the rear and the back. Your intake would then be through the radiator. But that's outside the constraints and requirements that you presented.

I have a budget but the question if its worth to spend that much for the asthetic cuz i will need to buy the fans anyway also if i take liquied, well actually to be honest with the price i would spend on AF fans.

About what you said i will check the prices for both liquid cooling and the fan hub. Ill update soon mate

Edited by Yakir51

Well buddy i have checked it out the prices ar pretty high for asthetic, i mean the CRYORIG H7 Cpu cooler cost 30$, the h5 about 50$ but i heard its risky/edgie with this one cuz the size.

The h115i and kraken x52 is around 130-150$.

About the Commander Pro its insanly expensive, maybe you can suggest me on cheaper product like the commsnder pro?

On the Aigo c5 it comes with somthing like commander pro with x10 fan connectors and fan speed but their pin is 6pin, wich means ill have to use their specific fans cuz the standart its 3/4 pin.

Again im more then appreciate ur help and the time

Im looking on another option tell me what you think i can order the nzxt hue+ wich comes with x2 120mm fans.

Im pretty sure those fans can be controlled by the nzxt program.

And there is also the product Grid+ and corsair commander mini, tell me what you think about all those options.

Fo you think that option is good? But this is a LED option.

My first idea was non led but this controller is insanly expensive.

*one more option: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513592874&sr=1-3&keywords=fan+controller

Edited by Yakir51

I'm not familiar with the NZXT Grid+ line of peripherals so I cannot say.

I can tell you about the Commander Pro though ... and yes, that would definitely solve your fan header dilemma. It is, IMHO, a better option than a traditional fan hub (like the Silverstone) as it allows independent control of individual fans. It also has 4 temperature sensors, an internal USB 2.0 hub and the functionality of a Lighting Node Pro so if you do want to go down the path of blinky flashy lights, you can.

Once you start doing things like that ... your options really open up. One bit of warning: it's addictive. Highly addictive.

I'm not familiar with the NZXT Grid+ line of peripherals so I cannot say.

I can tell you about the Commander Pro though ... and yes, that would definitely solve your fan header dilemma. It is, IMHO, a better option than a traditional fan hub (like the Silverstone) as it allows independent control of individual fans. It also has 4 temperature sensors, an internal USB 2.0 hub and the functionality of a Lighting Node Pro so if you do want to go down the path of blinky flashy lights, you can.

Once you start doing things like that ... your options really open up. One bit of warning: it's addictive. Highly addictive.

Yea i know that the commander pro is the best but in my opinion is insane to soend 100$ for stuff like that

In 80$ i can buy nzxt hue+2 aer rgb fans.

But do u think the silverstone wont do the job well?

The Silverstone will allow you to control and monitor all of the attached fans as thought it were a single fan. It will do that, yes, but you won't have control over individual fans. This is what the Commander will allow you to do. It depends on how finely you want to control your system.

But I think you are comparing apples and oranges. From the looks of it (and this is based only on a brief look at the web site, not from any experience or direct knowledge of the NZXT product), the HUE+ controller pack would be the equivalent of the Corsair LL multipacks, which come with the Lighting Node Pro. So if you were to compare pricing, compare the LL multipack + Silverstone to NZXT + Silverstone. The Commander Pro would eliminate the need for the Silverstone unit and a bunch more. And the Corsair LL fans look a lot better (IMHO).

The Silverstone will allow you to control and monitor all of the attached fans as thought it were a single fan. It will do that, yes, but you won't have control over individual fans. This is what the Commander will allow you to do. It depends on how finely you want to control your system.

But I think you are comparing apples and oranges. From the looks of it (and this is based only on a brief look at the web site, not from any experience or direct knowledge of the NZXT product), the HUE+ controller pack would be the equivalent of the Corsair LL multipacks, which come with the Lighting Node Pro. So if you were to compare pricing, compare the LL multipack + Silverstone to NZXT + Silverstone. The Commander Pro would eliminate the need for the Silverstone unit and a bunch more. And the Corsair LL fans look a lot better (IMHO).

I know the LL ar awosome i almost bought them.

But thats in case i go for shiny case with leds.

Im a bit confuse to be honest, if i understand correct the silverstone will do the job but it will controll all the fans as 1 fan like if i want reduce or improve speed it will for all.

Wich is ok i guess? Hm my uses ar minimal.

By the way i thought on another thing.

I can start with 2 AF fans 1 top, 1 back since only those two i will actually see, the 2 front i will bearly see even at all, only if i had radiatot they would be noticed, and the 2 fans that comes with the case to put in the front.

I know the LL ar awosome i almost bought them.

But thats in case i go for shiny case with leds.

Im a bit confuse to be honest, if i understand correct the silverstone will do the job but it will controll all the fans as 1 fan like if i want reduce or improve speed it will for all.

That's correct.

Wich is ok i guess? Hm my uses ar minimal.

Up to you. Part of it depends on how much you you care about noise. Faster fans == more noise. Better fan control allows you to better balance fan noise with cooling performance. It's amazing how much little differences in the airflow balance can have a massive impact on overall cooling performance.

By the way i thought on another thing.

I can start with 2 AF fans 1 top, 1 back since only those two i will actually see, the 2 front i will bearly see even at all, only if i had radiatot they would be noticed, and the 2 fans that comes with the case to put in the front.

One way or another, you are still limited by the single chassis fan header on the motherboard. That's really the big sticking point here. Your CPU FAN header would be used for the air CPU cooler ... leaving one header for everything else. I mentioned the H115i because that would use your CPU FAN header for power, cool your CPU, AND give you your intake fans in one shot. You could then put two exhaust fans on the chassis fan header and be good to go.

That's correct.

Up to you. Part of it depends on how much you you care about noise. Faster fans == more noise. Better fan control allows you to better balance fan noise with cooling performance. It's amazing how much little differences in the airflow balance can have a massive impact on overall cooling performance.

One way or another, you are still limited by the single chassis fan header on the motherboard. That's really the big sticking point here. Your CPU FAN header would be used for the air CPU cooler ... leaving one header for everything else. I mentioned the H115i because that would use your CPU FAN header for power, cool your CPU, AND give you your intake fans in one shot. You could then put two exhaust fans on the chassis fan header and be good to go.

Yea i got it about the liquid cooling but still it will be way more expensive then i expected.

But if the cpu cooler go to CPU_FAN, and i will connect this controller to CHA_FAN and all the fans to the controller? Will it be okay?

Yea i got it about the liquid cooling but still it will be way more expensive then i expected.

But if the cpu cooler go to CPU_FAN, and i will connect this controller to CHA_FAN and all the fans to the controller? Will it be okay?

Which fans? We've discussed so many.

Are we back to the Air Series SP/AF fans? Because I double-checked on that Silverstone controller and it's a PWM controller .. so you'd need PWM fans.

Which fans? We've discussed so many.

Are we back to the Air Series SP/AF fans? Because I double-checked on that Silverstone controller and it's a PWM controller .. so you'd need PWM fans.

xD yea indeed we spoke alot hehe, yea i ment to say for example that the cpu cooler will be plugged to CPU_FAN.

and rest of the fans (AF/SP for example) will be plugged to the silverstone controller and the controller will be plugged into the CHA_FAN.

there is a PWM version of the AF/SP series if im not wrong.

The question what does it mean, is it good or bad?

xD yea indeed we spoke alot hehe, yea i ment to say for example that the cpu cooler will be plugged to CPU_FAN.

and rest of the fans (AF/SP for example) will be plugged to the silverstone controller and the controller will be plugged into the CHA_FAN.

there is a PWM version of the AF/SP series if im not wrong.

The question what does it mean, is it good or bad?

If you can get PWM versions of the Air Series fans, go for it. The SPs and AFs that I've seen are all 3-pin/DC fans.

It's all on how the fan speeds are controlled. Go back in the thread a bit ... it's not a "good or bad" thing, it's just two different ways that fans can be controlled.

The Silverstone hub looks like it only works with PWM ... PWM input and PWM fans ... so 4 pins.

If you can get PWM versions of the Air Series fans, go for it. The SPs and AFs that I've seen are all 3-pin/DC fans.

It's all on how the fan speeds are controlled. Go back in the thread a bit ... it's not a "good or bad" thing, it's just two different ways that fans can be controlled.

The Silverstone hub looks like it only works with PWM ... PWM input and PWM fans ... so 4 pins.

Yea i have checked there is PWM 4pin version for the AF/SP.

but sadly from what i have checked the only 140mm fan there is its a AF140 quite edition, there isnt SP one.

And there isnt 140 on PWM version.

=( i have no clue what to do and i dont wanns bother you aswell.

Its so hard

If you aren't going to go RGB then ... go for the ML fans.

Super quiet. Excellent performance. Should last a very, very long time. I have several and I'm slowly changing out my SP and AF fans for either ML or RGB HD/LL fans (which are also PWM). I have ... oh ... 5 or 6 systems so it's a process, not a happening.

You can get red corners for the Pro versions and they come in a version with Red LEDs.

And ... they are PWM.

If you want RGB, go for the LL fans or the RGB ML. They are also PWM and can be any color you want. Both come with Lighting Node Pro. ML has better perf, LL is just drop-dead gorgeous.

And yeah .. understand. But better to ask and understand all of the nuances than to go buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't work together.

If you aren't going to go RGB then ... go for the ML fans.

Super quiet. Excellent performance. Should last a very, very long time. I have several and I'm slowly changing out my SP and AF fans for either ML or RGB HD/LL fans (which are also PWM). I have ... oh ... 5 or 6 systems so it's a process, not a happening.

You can get red corners for the Pro versions and they come in a version with Red LEDs.

And ... they are PWM.

If you want RGB, go for the LL fans or the RGB ML. They are also PWM and can be any color you want. Both come with Lighting Node Pro. ML has better perf, LL is just drop-dead gorgeous.

And yeah .. understand. But better to ask and understand all of the nuances than to go buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't work together.

Alright buddy ill check more on the ML, the LL saw alot alardy.

But last thing incase i still decide to go with the AF140 with the red ring i have no other option then the commander pro? Cuz the silverstone is PWM and there isnt 140 PWM.