Corsair Community

8KNXP F6 & Corsair XMS Observations

stevem

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Done! and I will delete the offending post's shortly Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] i just wanted to give everybody some FYI on the gigabyte 8knxp and 9700 Pro video cards. If anyone is getting instability while playing games just uninstall display driver under add/remove programs and reinstall by locateing the file on your HDD. By doing this you wont install smartgart which is the cause of games going bsod or infinite loop.. You will still have AGP x8 speeds but no smartgart to autodetect!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee
Thanks for the info; I am sure that will help as there have been issues with this combo before. If that is a issue installing the chipset driver after the video driver and before it restarts will some times fix that as well. Ram Guy

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RAM GUY [/i] [B]Thanks for the info; I am sure that will help as there have been issues with this combo before. If that is a issue installing the chipset driver after the video driver and before it restarts will some times fix that as well. Ram Guy [/B][/QUOTE] I thought the corect way is to install is: 1)Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (if required 2 Microsoft DirectX 8.1 or newer 3 Intel® Application Accelerator 4 Any Device Drivers Is there another way thats better?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by stevem [/i] [B]You are correct. Disabling "Top Performance" in a small band of frequencies does not disable PAT entirely. It depends on your components & at what level you want PAT to operate. ... [/B][/QUOTE] What is the simplest way to tell if PAT is enabled?

I received this reply from Gigabyte Tech Support today. I thought the comments about DPS2 and the beta BIOS would be of interest. I had asked whether the board is warrantied to run with PAT. There was no response to that question but the instruction to run at Fail-Safe settings is discouraging. "About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, in fact, DPS2 is not the root cause, we found Corsair module has limited tolerance in memory timing setting. Thus, attached is the beta version BIOS for the motherboard. You should be able to update it with the attached flash utility and try again later. After bios updating, please do not forget to load BIOS fail-safe default setting. Please note that this beta BIOS is still under testing and not approved by our standard test procedure. Thus, in some system might cause other system unknown problem and we will not gurantee there will not be any side-effect after BIOS updating with this beta version BIOS. For more information about BIOS upgrading, please kindly refer to motherboard user manual or you may visit our website: [url]http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/BIOS/HowToReflash/HowToReflash_1.htm[/url]" BIOS download: [url]http://gts.gigabyte.com.tw/DownloadFile/28482/8knxp_f7b.exe[/url]

I found the F7b BIOS to help out a lot but it is still not perfect. I am still getting a few access violation errors. I have not gotten any BSODs since F7b. My CASS timings are default, CPU clock at 200 and RAM frequency at 2.0 (400Mhz in this case) Hopefully the final release of F7 will solve this major incompatibility issue once and for all. setup: 6x256 TWINX 3200LLPT XMS 400Mhz P4 3.0Ghz @ 800Mhz FSB and 8KNXP of course (rev 1.0)

• 5 weeks later...
After testing with memtest BIOSs F5, F6, F6c, F6d, and F7b here is what I managed to obtain for a successfull memtest with no errors. Running anything at CAS 2 Latency fails and at any voltage Running at CAS 2.5 5 2 2 Fails at any Voltage Running at CAS 2.5 6 3 3 Works at normal Voltage but fails with and voltage higher Running at CAS 2 6 3 3 Which is the dafault for my memory based on Corsair Specs comes up with errors at any voltage lvl. Is there a big difference in the performance of the memory between CAS 2.5 and CAS 2 and PSB Parking also seems to have an impact of the memory. What does this do? I hope this helps. I have not OCd the memory and would be happy for the memory to run at the specified settings provided by Corsair. That is the main reason why im interested in finding out the difference in the performance between CAS 2 and CAS 2.5 I have also noticed that once a BIOS has been updated if you go back into the BIOS select Opitmum Settings SAVE and then go back inot the BIOS it seems to resolve some memory issues as well.... odd.

• 3 weeks later...
Very interesting discussion here. I do have a P4 3GHZ +2x256MB TWINX 3200LL + Radeon 9800 Pro U.E. 128MB and I do have a big stability issue when playing games or trying benchmarks (lock-ups, parts of the pictures fluctuating ). I am running everything at default (ram settings) and no overclocking at all. Has somebody tried to remove the DSP2 Module having TWINX 3200LL modules 2X256MB? What about the "Intel® Application Accelerator" which Taylor mentioned ? Can you install it ? I have the 8KNXP rev. 2.0 and I get the error message (when trying to install the application center) that the chipset is unknown! I have the 8212EB apparently and it seems to me when I read the readme that this one is not in the list (????) I had Soyo Dragon 2 Pl. before and I was wondering what I just did to myself in bying the 8KNXP .... :( What do you think ? Thank you for your help

Anyone having trouble getting the 8knxp to pass memtest while running a 220+ fsb, try increasing the AGP voltage. I have an 8knxp, 3.0, twinx 3700, and couldn’t get memtest to pass over 220fsb unless using a 5/4 divider, now running stable at 233 w/ +2v on the AGP.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Altecha [/i] [B]I have a 8KNXP non ultra F7b bios, 3700 twinx, would like to know what timings to set them at, as it won't boot at 2.5 6.3.3, normal setting are 3.7.4.4 on spd timings. Voltages is set +2, should I change it back to normal? [/B][/QUOTE] I've been running for a few months with the my timings set to 3 6 3 3 and find it to be pretty stable. This is on a 3.2 p4 w/ 1gb(2x512) Twinx 3700. At 200 fsb ran mem test for 4107% coverage, 2569cycles, and no errors. Bios is F6k. I've never messed w/ voltages. Pls let me know if you make any progress.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a 8knxp rev 1 with twinx1024 and p4 3.0ghz. I have tried you cas and voltage settings to get it to work with both F4 bios and F8, but neither work. I did find that if i set the memory mutlipler to 1.66 or 1.33 my system will run fine. I have other memory another manufacturer that has the same problem as the twinx does but they can only run stable at 1.33. I have mostly given up on my problem, at least until another bios comes out that actually fixes this problem. The way I have it now with just the twinx at 1.66 (DDR333). using auto latency and base dimm voltage. I hope this helps anyone who is looking for just a stable way to get these memory modules running on this board even if you take hit on performance.but for most apps the hit is not noticeable. Since at the lower bus speed i can still take advantage of the low latency settings atleast my purchase wasn't all bad....

I have the same specs as you: 8KNXP rev.1 BIOS F8 P4 3.0Ghz TWINX1024 I have my memory clock mulitplier at "Auto" and the BIOS sets it to 1.66. I have to set it manually to get it at 2.0, and when I set it to 2.0 the computer won't even boot. As of now I am running at SPD CAS timings, +.2v (because I have six modules), and 333Mhz; this is rock stable. I tried increasing the system bus up from 200Mhz to 205Mhz, it boots, but wont go for long without crashing. Seems that this motherboard is very sensitive when the RAM goes even slightly over 333Mhz.

when i tried the CAS timings they mentioned and the +2 voltage My system seemed to be stable, it booted fine and could run for hours without problems but when I played games it would crash after only a few minutes... changed the cas settings and the voltage to normal and ran memtest and let it do 11 full passes without error. I never tried memtest with the maual cas timings and voltage but I had this stup before i tried that and when it stopped working i was certain that that was causing the problem. When I have my bios set to autodetect the memry speed it sets it to 400mhz, but as i think i said in my previous post it would reboot before windows could load. you never said which ram you were using though. The part number helps. If we have the same memory model then on the same settings we *should* have the same stability. I reccomend trying the trying the auto cas latency it *should* be even more stable and the auto latency selects lower settings than the ones they reccomend, so there should also be a very small gain in preformance. There are other differances that dont seem to make sense between our systems; you said auto detect selected 333mhz for you memory, mine selects 400. When i used the manual cas settings and +2 voltage my system was apparently stable until I ran games. You probobly have a different memory module than me, otherwise there *should* be no reason for it to be so different.

• 2 weeks later...
OK I have a 8KNXP Ultra and some Corsair C2 3200Pro Ram. I am currnetly using Bios F7. My problem seems to be when running anything that puts excessive load on the system... I get short busts of static from my speakers and if playing a game or running 3D Mark 2003 the animation skips at the same time. This seems to happen at a set frequency or rate. About every 2 to 3 seconds. Now I have run Memtest86 right through and no problems occure. I am not Overclocking the system in any way. With this memory there are the LED lights on each Dimm and what leads me to beleive that it is a memory problem is that the LED's flick off for a blink of a second at the same time I get the static and video skips. My current timmings are 2 6 3 3. Any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a later Bios for the Ultra board please let me know..... Thanks Jeremey :brick:

i have a similar problem with my 8knxp non ultra, my video does not skip but ever since I installed my agp card whenever i play games or even scroll with the mouse wheel I hear these low static sounds, not white noise. but is constant when i am playing games. I tried moving the cables and the surrond sound kit away from the video card as much as i could and I was unable to solve or even reduce the problem this way. Somehow the videocard is interfering with the signal. I bet if i had a weaker set of speakers i would not notice but with my 250 watt system it is easy to tell.

I forgot to mention that whenever I am in 6 channel mode, and playing certain games (Neverwinter Nights, and Return to castle wolfenstein.) But not all (Halo, and homeworld 2 have no problems.) It will reboot after only a shot period of playing. for some reason it keeps forgetting to keep it on 6 channels and resets it to 2 and only because of that did i figure out the problem. I did not encounter this before I updated to F8 bios.

Archived