Corsair Community

8KNXP F6 & Corsair XMS Observations

stevem

Hi to everyone as I have just registered here, but been reading the ongoing 8KNXP saga since it began. BTW I am not overclocking so here goes anyway. I am running a rev1 8KNXP at 2-2-2-5 and top performance enabled with bios F9. I have absolutely no problems at all and it is totally stable. There is one catch though, the memory I am using is Corsair 3200 LLPT XMS 3205v1.1 twinx 1024mb 2-2-2-6. I recently went up to 2GB and thats where my problems started. I ordered the exact same memory but now it seems this memory is rated 2-3-2-6 XMS3205v1.2. Guess what? Machine not posting or even beeping at all. Must be the something to do with having 4 blocks of 512 memory? OK so take out the older 2-2-2-6 memory and still no post. Hmmmmm right slacken timings back to 2-3-3-6 disable top performance and machine fires up again. Mem test shows no errors so installed the quicker memory as well and machine still ok, no errors. So what I want to know is where this "older" quicker memory has gone because none of my suppliers have it anymore they only have the new stuff which works in a fashion. To be quite honest I have ditched the 1 gig of the new type and am just running with the older 1 gig as the machine is happier and loads quicker than having 2 gig at slower latencies. Any help Ram Guy would be appreciated and yes I have tried a second pair of the new memory that I "borrowed " from a friend and got the same results so its not bad memory. Why get rid of memory that has tighter latencies? It works great in my pc and bios F9. Cheers...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha right ok Disappointed, I was actually going to do that just to get the machine upto 2 gigs in memory and have the same type of new Corsair in it. But seriously the machine runs so much better with just 1 gig of this 2-2-2-6 Corsair. I cannot even enable top performance without massive problems and slackening off the timings totally with the other stuff. When I can get it to boot and no errors, thats with the setting 2-3-3-6 and top performance off, even with 2 gig yes I repeat 2 gig of this newer lot, games like UT2004 and COD stutter and arn't as smooth as just 1 gig of the really quick Corsair running 2-2-2-5 and top performance on!! I was surprised just how much of a difference it made actually. I have been to the Corsair website and the memory I am referring to is no longer listed. I know it seems a bit petty but I have seen what this board is capable of.

Sorry I forgot to mention the rest of my rig. 8KNXP rev 1 bios F9 Pentium 3.2 800FSB HT 1 GIG TwinX Corsair (2-2-2-6 XMS 3205 v1.1) running at 2-2-2-5, +.2v and Top Performance enabled. Radeon XT Pro 256MB. 2 Raptor drives in Raid ICH 5R. *I have only been able to do this with the new F9 bios* Hope this helps cos I am happy with the machine finally. Wouldn't mind another gig though of this unobtainable memory.

Archived