Corsair Community

Think i've got a bad Twin

papa

Need help to determine if my TWINX1024-3200LL is acctually bad, acctually both of them.

System:

MB ASUS A7N8X-deluxe v1.04 with latest BIOS

AMD +2800 (fsb 333)

2x 80Gb Maxtor (SATA Raid 0)

1x 120Gb Maxtor

TWINX1024-3200LL (setting optimal (2-2-2-5) no OC. with (333)

Antec PSU

Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro

Win XP sp2

All the newest drivers

BIOS settings not changed but for a few disabeld onboard sound and some unused ports, no voltage settings changed.

My machine have run with no problems for nearly (+) two years, no crashes no nothing. Eaven though I run i quite hard through games and applications.

Until recently my computer started acting wierd.

All games and win XP incl. apps have freq. lockups after a couple of minutes or OS crashes during load and reboots. Even memtest86 hangs and needs to be restarted after test 4 for DDR 1 and from test 7 for DDR 2.

What I've tested:

(I'm nameing the diffrent modules DDR 1 and DDR 2)

Failed Memtest86 v3.2 (I tested the modules separately)

For DDR 1

test 3 (failed 1 time)

test 5 (failed 10 times)

test 7 (failed nearly all, the counter went sky rocket)

And for DDR 2

test 3 (failed 2 times + lockup in memtest needs restart)

test 4 (failed 1 time)

test 6 (failed 3 times)

test 7 (memtest lockup, test can't be done )

Also I've tested to run with only one module (both) same lockups and crashes.

PSU gives good power no drops.

No heat problem, 20 C on MB, HDD's 30 C each, CPU 50 C (heavy load).

No problems with HDD's they are clean from damage, not a single error, virus and hijack free.

Minidump files indicates all to nearly the same problem: Bad memory. All with diffrent types of memory traps but I'm not a pro on reading those files after debugging them.

This confuses me, please help .

What do you suggest?

Where could the problem be. Is it the modules or anything else?

Should I RMA them?

Best regards P

PS: Sorry if I didn't spell everything correct and used the correct grammar. English is not my native language, I'm a Swedish guy :-).

Try 2-3-2-6, each stick one at a time in the same slot.

Side note: If you have any questions that would be easier to post in Swedish, that's fine. I know someone who either speaks Norwegian, or Swedish (can't remember atm lol).

• Corsair Employee

And I would try and set these settings manually and test them one up!

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

Memory Timings: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then please test them with http://www.memtest.org to be sure!

Now I've done some serious testing all diffrent and of course with the setting you both recomended. The last setting is what I've been using since I've bought the modules.

Now I so tierd of them I got the hole computer to a PC-store in the town I live in, http://www.alina.se to do a full hardewaretest. Both of the modules are totaly messed up in memtest on diffrent machines with different settings.

Do I realy have to do more testing of the modules just to show you that they realy are broken. And I wan't to replace them under the warranty.

I had to buy a spare one but I couldn't get hold of a Corsair module, just to be able to get some work done. You are the best brand and I hope I can still trust your modules.

Best regards P

Hopeing for a quick reply.

I've already talked to the reseller store http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/ a very good company of computer hardware. They told me it was your warranty and I had to talk to you.

About my settings:

My BIOS-was as you can see above at the start of the thread, and of course with the recomended settings from your site. I haven't done any OC since I got the computer in may 2003. It has been running like a clock until a week ago. We haven't had any power loss or surges to our house. Don't you trust me (i've got the receipt) or the company that tested them even more thorough. They couldn't get them stable in any of their rigs with memtest.

I've tested them in

default,

user defined: New settings 2-3-2-6 and 2-2-2-5 as they was supposed to be timed when I bought them ,sync result freq. 166 voltage 2,5 2,6 2,7 2,8

tested both and each stick buy it self.

Memtest failures in test 3,4,5,6,7 for every voltage as seen above in the begining of the thread.

Please advise.

Patrik

• Corsair Employee

Well that is not right. We have a lifetime warranty no matter which it is the reseller or the user. They if they sent the modules to us would get a new set. They should talk to their sales person. And I will forward a like to the European Sales manager to follow up with whom ever they purchase from and them.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived