Corsair Community

XMS256-3200C2PT reportig as XMS256A-3200C2

Paulic

I have bought for almost a year ago 1+1 sticks of XMS256A-3200C2PT, from two different stores.

For now, they are working dual channel on an epox 4pda3i MB (865PE + ICH5) +P42600HT C adn 1+1 (not Twin) XMS256x-3200Cxxx.

For the first time i investigated why the bios reports the DMS latencies as 2.5-3-3-7.

For that I used CPU-Z, AIDA32 and Sandra 2005.

Al three programs repots the memory as a XMS256A 3200C2 with the default latencies 2.5-3-3-7, instead of 2-3-2-6, or worse, 2-3-3-6, as specs.

The heatspreaders are platinum ones not black (as in C2 specs )

Is something wrong or do i miss something?

Paul

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

CMX256A or CMX512-3200C2

CPU/Frequency Voltage Control

CPU Freq: 200

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.75 Volts

System performance: AUTO

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced/Chipset

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

The color of the sticks aren't in the specs as they make platinum and black sticks, no difference at all performance-wise.

Manually change the settings to 2-3-3-6.

As i have read, colour for xmsXXX-C2 should be black, and -C2PT platinum.

RAMGuy:

U suggest to test memories with relexed latencies?

After all, are they C2 type (as reported) or C2PT (as written on heatspreaders).

Is it possible that smbody swithed core/heatspreader and should I ask for service/replacement?

I'll test them as suggested. Thx.

• Corsair Employee
The 3200C2 and C3200C2PT has no difference on it as far as performance wise goes, the only difference will be the heat spreaders on it; 3200C2 has black heat spreader and C2PT has silver. The reason why I suggested relaxed timing settings to be set on your system is because of the fact that we only guarantee those modules to run with either just one stick if it is bought one stick at a time, or for a TwinX set.

OK. They run fine under memtest86 and prime95 either relaxed or 2-3-2-6 /2,7V timins, single or dual channel.

The question remains: Why do they report 2,5 3, 3, 8 timings by DMS? Other memory types, such as OCZ, reports 2,3,3,6 by DMS.

Archived