Corsair Community

HC coolant req!

dazzerx2000

Hi everyone sorry this is another coolant question but I think its best to ask the experts these things even thou you know a little about what to get than get the wrong thing and mess the hole H2O system up cuz from what I gathered you only really get one strike with using the wrong coolant.

Having said all that Im having problems finding a good substitute for the HC coolant in the UK ive read another post not to fare below this one with a link to a uk company but they have yet to reply to my emails. I managed to track down this stuff from a site that claims to have numerous shops in the uk one of which is a fear distance away from where I live but its doable!

http://www.kamco.co.uk/Freezbreaker.htm

It has the propylene glycol stuff that’s important but wanted a second opinion also if any one has used this stuff what colour do you think or know the mixture to be cuz I have some liquid die’s and want a nice green glow like the original HC stuff gives. Thank you for any advice given....... :D:

MSDS

FREEZBREAKER LT antifreeze additive

for cooling and heating systems.

2. Composition / information on ingredients:

Blend of monopropylene glycol, corrosion inhibitors and blue colouration.

7. Handling & storage:

Handling: Avoid breathing mist or vapour from heated material.

Storage: Store in tightly closed containers away from heat, moisture, and strong oxidising agents.

10. Stability & reactivity:

Stability: Stable under normal conditions.

Materials to avoid: Strong oxidising materials.

Conditions to avoid: Material is hygroscopic - keep containers tightly closed

info@kamco.co.uk an ask what is the corrosion base chemical

looks to me is very corrisive

id use EG automotive if in dought

only difference you can't drink the EG where as PG has EPA rating, less of 2 evils

thanx for the reply kaptKrunch I think ill skip it then maybe they have other types of propylene glycol at the shop ill just take down as much details from the recommended replacement thread and ask do they either have any of those makes recommended there or anything that’s 100% the same. Dam I wish sierra just did world wide shipping.

Hi kaptKrunch could you post me sierra’s contact email address if you still have a (reply) email from them saved as there websites contact me section seems to keep on failing when I click submit. I still have not been able to locate that make of antifreeze or an equivalent within the UK but my friend works for a very large company that distributes numerous chemicals within the UK and she said she will track the stuff down for me, she said as it stands she can supply me with the chemical propylene glycol but I think ill be better off just buying the recommended stuff as who knows what else is added to the antifreeze mixture. thanx

Hi kaptKrunch could you post me sierra’s contact email address if you still have a (reply) email from them saved as there websites contact me section seems to keep on failing when I click submit. I still have not been able to locate that make of antifreeze or an equivalent within the UK but my friend works for a very large company that distributes numerous chemicals within the UK and she said she will track the stuff down for me, she said as it stands she can supply me with the chemical propylene glycol but I think ill be better off just buying the recommended stuff as who knows what else is added to the antifreeze mixture. thanx

Ok dazzerx2000, the bad news is you will find it nearly impossible to find PG antifreeze in UK that is suitable for HC.

I am in the process of changing my coolant and am just going to use a 50:50 mix of Comma Super Coldmaster EG antifreeze and distilled water.

Comma Coldstream seems to be totally discontinued now, and that was the only one I found that was based on PG. Hope that helps.

read

i don't know how much evans coolant want over in UK is PG base

PG based

AMBITROL by Dow, marine grade anti-freeze/coolant

Camco Manufacturing Inc.

121 Landmark Drive

Greensboro, NC 27409 USA

Ban Frost Marine Engine Antifreeze and Coolant 1gal p/n:30627

info@camco.net

am just going to use a 50:50 mix of Comma Super Coldmaster EG antifreeze and distilled water.

Comma Coldstream seems to be totally discontinued now, and that was the only one I found that was based on PG. Hope that helps.

use 33% mix if do will notice more noise from pump

(1cup distilled water : 2 cups PG =33%)

dazzerx2000,

Propylene Glycol (PG) is sold under the AMSOIL brand and can be found in the UK at:

Amsoil Performance Oils Ltd

31 York Street, Twickenham, Middlesex, TW1 3JZ, England

Tel: + 44 (0) 181 892 0061, Fax: + 44 (0) 181 891 5500

Stev

dazzerx2000,

There are two propylene-glycol based anti-freeze products out there. One for environmentally safe usage, mostly in diesel engines and then the stuff for marine/RV winterizing.

AVOID the marine/RV winterizing PG pink coolant. It's like drain-o. :bigeyes:

In earlier posts here in the forums, I had listed many of the PG brands available for use. :): Maybe Wired can dig that link up. :):

Stev

Thanx everyone for the contributions stev the number for Amsoil Performance Oils Ltd is a dead end for some reason they must have changed numbers so ive given up on them. Any way I managed to get a response from Gearfox (thanx KaptCrunch) and I reckon I can get them to send me some stuff in the post for a little fee…. ;): Im going to go with the NPG as it is 100% PG mix as NPG+ does offer better cooling properties

(http://www.evanscooling.com/main7.htm)

Because it’s a mix of glycols but contains ethylene glycol if the price is right ill get 2g of the stuff and never look back my only qwarm is from this statement:

New NPG coolant has a PURPLE colour; shortly after usage the colour changes to BROWN. Does this indicate a problem?

Answer: NO! NPG goes through a "phase change" when exposed to engine heat. There is No loss of cooling performance, this fact has been documented in systems with NPG usage measured in the hundreds of thousands of miles. Remember NPG is a "life of vehicle" coolant.

Looks like ill have to UV die this stuff to death to get a blue or green colour or my case lights will be a wasted investment. Ive also finished my homemade res if I can get hold of a camera ill post some pics up in the original thread for the subject, the thing is air tight with a lock on the side I used screw tight garden hose gun ends for the fittings that were a perfect fit? and it looks good to me anyway.

After reading the Evans NPG

Technical information: https://www.evanscooling.com/html/tech1.htm#ptbl1

And faq: https://www.evanscooling.com/main7.htm

"Both Evans NPG and NPG+ are used as pure coolant - no water added. The non-aqueous solution boils at 370ºF (NPG) or 375ºF (NPG+), greatly reducing vaporization and eliminating vapor problems. Both coolants bathe the entire cooling jacket (permanent surface "wetting"), and significantly improve coolant surface effectiveness. Heat transfers more efficiently from the metal to the liquid coolant, and is carried off to the radiator for more effective elimination. Furthermore, any vaporized coolant recondenses while still in the engine, so the coolant continues to absorb damaging heat on its way to the radiator."

It is recommended that no water be added to the engine and that raw coolant should be used to get the best results apparently they have engineered the coolant to work without the aid of water. Is it a good idea to add this stuff to the HC with out the 2/3 distilled water?... :confused:

dazzerx2000,

I would avoid the Evans NPG. :nono:

You may not know what you're getting into. Maybe the water and salts will cause a reaction with the metals in the HydroCool at different mix levels. Some special coolants contain salts in them. The distilled water could become problematic as it seeks those salt ions.

Stev

No way stev you have to be kidding me I fought I had found a winner there. Thanx for the very kind offer KaptCrunch but im gonna hold up for a bit before I take you up on your offer because a relative flew to America (Atlanta) on Monday for a week so ive already asked can they try there hardiest to buy two gallons of sierra for me and then ship it back in the mail or something I phoned sierra to try and find out what the names of the distributors in Atlanta Georgia are but just got an answering machine that said leave a message and this was between business hours as well, well I didn’t bother because im pretty sure there not going to call England. So ill just place my hopes on my relative sorting the job out I know they will come through for me, sierras pretty common in the states.

Hi everyone just an update I have spoken to my relative flying from America she wasn’t able to get me any sieera antifreeze but was successful in finding a replacement she has got me 2g of the Prestone low tox propylene glycol antifreeze which I was told has the same ingredients as the sieera brand even looks the same (green tint). Now that that’s over with I could do with some advice im getting my homemade external reservoir ready in anticipation for the coolant coming tomorrow and have noticed due to the odd shape of the container used for the res (shaped like a witches cauldron) and the bendiness of the tubing, my intake tub upon reaching about half way into the res bends and heads straight into one the side of the res effectively blocking its self off. I was thinking I might open up a paper clip bend a U shaped angle in the thin metal and then using a glue gun or that really strong glue that comes in two halves, glue the paper clip to one side of the res then feed the hose under that so it kinda holds it down. What I want to know is do I have any other options and is it safe to use glue because the last thing I want is for this to come undun at night and for the suction to be cut off. Thanx for all the help I have been receiving.

Archived