Corsair Community

HC coolant req!

dazzerx2000

Hi KaptCrunch still working on lending a mates camera or maybe ill get one out from uni cuz the only camera I have at the moment is on my phone and the pictures would be crap plus I would need an inferred to get them off the thing. Im lacking on the peripherals a bit at the moment as my rig has taken all my £££ it has everything thou, trust me the res is air tight I mean the container I made it out of was a hard acrylic biscuit jar so it has a latch lock on the side and a small rubber ring around the lid like a seal so when it shuts it’s air tight im trying my hardiest to hold out to take the pictures before I fill the res but the antifreeze has finally arrived now and I don’t think I can. Been waiting to get this stuff up and running for ages and to do the odd overclock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just an update in the end i managed to get this stuff from the US and am using it with distilled water i got from a car accessory outlet shop everything seems to be running smoth im glad to have finally sorted everything out thanx for all the help guys....

p.s im also gonna up some pics of my res in the correct thread!

Image011.jpg.df460a72dffe7ff079f9aa027611b84e.jpg

Image012.jpg.ceb07f3c2e00a420e7dcdc24f6b4e4c6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

(UK Source)

I have managed to source a Food Grade (FG) Glycol Anti Freeze. I dont want to promise too much before i test it but if all works out i will post Name, Address and Phone Number for supplies.

Keep you posted. :D:

NRGZ

first test the FG mixed 33% with aluimum tin pie plate or tart cup over a week an see if discolours. keep out of reach of kids, pets.

to bad prestone LoxTox ain't in the UK or any other PG base automotive

Q: Does Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant contain phosphates?

A: Some European automobile manufacturers request that a phosphate-free antifreeze be used in their vehicles. This issue is related to the extremely high mineral content of the water in Europe. If you were to mix an antifreeze that contained phosphates with the type of water they have in Europe, it may produce deposits that can settle in the cooling system and promote corrosion. However, in North America we do not have this type of water problem. Typical North American coolants have contained phosphates (which is part of the corrosion inhibitor package) for many years. Therefore, the question of phosphates is a non-issue here in North America. Prestone® Antifreeze/Coolant is completely safe for use in both foreign and domestic vehicles. Do Not Use Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant has been approved by General Motors under their DEX-COOL® specifications and is compatible with other DEX-COOL® approved coolants.

* DON'T USE IT's any longlife coolant is POISON to your system

DEX-COOL® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.*

lucky can get some PG in north america with

Prestone LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant

Q: What is the best antifreeze/coolant concentration for a Computer Use, Can I use 100% antifreeze?

A:recommend that you use 33% concentration of antifreeze with Min. of 18% for pump lube, Max of 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount as freeze protection. However, not recommend more than 33% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection, hurt performance in high ambiant liquid temps.

Note also that CPU will run hotter as deviate from the 33% with plus mix will diminish performance as per high ambiant temp of liquid, an velocity, with less then 33% mix will get better flow

i use 50% mix for the temps outside hit -20c with a protection of -32c

with 33% FreezePoint of -12c

so it won't hurt my setup for my liquid is temp 14c @ WB using the 50% mix

* DON'T USE IT's POISON

DEX-COOL® is a registered trademark of General Motors Corporation.*

KaptCrunch,

DO NOT use any Long life antifreeze coolant in the HydroCool period. DEX-COOL will ruin the HydroCool. Using it will void all warranties with the HydroCool.

Prestone LowTox® Antifreeze/Coolant meets or exceeds the performance requirements of:

ASTM D5216

It also meets the corrosion protection requirements of:

ASTM D3306

ASTM D4985

GM 1899

GM 1825

ASTM D1384

ASTM D4340

ASTM D2570

ASTM D2809

Q: What is the best antifreeze/coolant concentration for a vehicle? Can I use 100% antifreeze?

A: We recommend that you use between a 50% and 70% concentration of antifreeze. At least 50% is necessary to give the adequate amount of corrosion protection, as well as freeze/boilover protection. However, we do not recommend more than 70% antifreeze. This would cause restriction of the heat transfer capabilities, corrosion protection, and freeze protection. The concentration of freeze/boilover protection of the antifreeze mixture can be checked using a Prestone® Antifreeze Coolant Tester.

The PG information is all fine and good, HOWEVER, the concentration of anti-freeze is for a VEHICLE driven OUTDOORS. Thus, the higher levels of antifreeze is needed. BUT, the HydroCool and even the COOL use the concentration of 33% PG antifreeze.

It's OK to list data, but make sure it is examined and stated to the product's usage. If a person used 50 or 70 percent PG, the performance of the HydroCool would suffer greatly. Thus, the processor(s) would run hotter. :bigeyes:

Stev

dazzerx2000,

You did very well obtaining the Prestone Low-Tox PG coolant. :sunglasse

Stev

Dear Dazzerx2000,

I did not read all the replies to your original (What do I use to replace WC fluid?). Here is my two cents from the US.

If antifreeze is to be used for PC watercooling, it is there only for corrosion protection. Then use 5% to 10%. This is enough to stop oxidation and electrolysis between different metals. Antifreeze is a poorer conductor of heat than H2O. Distilled water should be used if possible. Mineral content in water reduces cooling performance and may increase electrolysis between metals. Seems like it would be miniscule but there are watercooling articles experimenting on this that show a difference. And no, I can not direct you to the articles but they are out there.

Other options?

Besides putting up with the problems of Mercury and finding a pump that will handle the higher resistance, pure water with an additive for anticorrosion and heat transfer is the best. The glycols in antifreeze are there for freeze and boiling protection.

What I have found, and there are many others that are very similar:

RED LINE Water Wetter SuperCoolant

KOOL-IT from International Lubricants, Inc.

Zerex Racing Super Coolant now may be named Valvoline Super Coolant

I would stay away from anything that has petroleum distillates in it such as ProBlend 40 Below.

What these products have are corrosion inhibitors and water wetters. The anticorrosion attributes are obvious but the wetters may not be. Water wetters are soaps. In this case they are low foaming surfactants (soap). The surfactants lower the water's surface tension which allows the H2O to come into better contact with other surfaces. This increases the transfer of heat into the water from the waterblock. And increases the heat transfer from the water to the radiator metal. The water wetting abilities may not be beneficial at nonautomotive temps.

I have Water Wetter because it is at the local auto parts store. And dirt cheap at $7 for 12 oz. KOOL-IT has an indicator in it to tell when the corrosion protection is diminished. That's kind of neat.

Good luck in finding your elixir of choice and watch those temps drop as you get closer to pure water. Oh, and as the first forum I have posted to, I hope you will see this if things go correctly.

Sunshine Dan

Stev

Sorry forgot to state not to use any longlife automotive coolants, thought they get the poison bit an avoid it all together. As to my setup i sortive drive my HCX out the window where temps are -10c -20c this time of year, with

2-4 degrees lower then room ambiant temp an total fanless cooler.

Welcome aboard Sunshine Dan. would like to thin out my coolant but can't for the freeze point in Canada is igloo weather compared with sunny Florida

Stev

Sorry forgot to state not to use any longlife automotive coolants, thought they get the poison bit an avoid it all together. As to my setup i sortive drive my HCX out the window where temps are -10c -20c this time of year, with

2-4 degrees lower then room ambiant temp an total fanless cooler.

Welcome aboard Sunshine Dan. would like to thin out my coolant but can't for the freeze point in Canada is igloo weather compared with sunny Florida

Well, you have me there. We only get down to a max of -40 C. And with global warming we may not see that again until the next ice age. You're right, I just do not think of putting watercooling outside in the winter. Even though I know of one that puts his Rad under an open window when overclocking.

On second thought, antifreeze glycols might suppress algal grow which I forgot to mention. This is really important if any tubing has great amounts of light impacting it.

Kapt,

'first test the FG mixed 33% with aluimum tin pie plate or tart cup over a week an see if discolours'

this would be a bad thing right?

chrs.

Only is you let the kids or pets at it, an leave outside in the shed away from your air space, placed in a larger plastic tub incase it (eats) leaks.

this will see if it attacks the aluminum for i dont know what else they got in for adititives? BETTER to test first on pie plate then the HCX

Archived