Corsair Community

Fans doen't ramp up under CPU load.

hurricane28

Hi all,

I have a problem with my Corsair unit.

I have the Corsair H100i V2 and replaced the stock fans for Noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC 3K RPM fans. It works very well and the temps are much better than with the stock Corsair fans due to better sealing on the radiator.

However, when i set the fan profile to performance, the fans don't ramp up under heavy CPU load like it should. No matter what setting i use from Quiet to Performance, they seem to have an fixed RPM or something because they stay at a designated RPM and under full load they do not ramp up. In the Fan graph of the performance mode, it says that the fan's RPM is set to 100% at 40c but they are stuck at only 2100 RPM or lower..

I am running the latest Corsair link and i have tried several thing like, uninstalling Corsair link completely, swapped USB headers on the motherboard, swapped the fans but nothing solves this.

I hope there is a fix for this because its very inconvenient that it doesn't work well because when i am gaming or working in premiere pro, my CPU gets very hot. I really hope this is an software issue because the cooler is not even that old.

Thank you in advanced,

Regards, Hurricane28.

Are you running the Asus software as well (especially Fan Xpert)? Link doesn't play well with other software.

I know. I tried with Al suite enabled and disabled but both give same results.. same as for HWINFO64. Disabled and enabled geve the same results.

The fans simply won't spin faster than 1980 RPM no matter how hot the CPU gets.

Link doesn't play well with other software.

I wish you would not keep posting incorrect information such as this :(:.

As CL4 uses the CPUID SDK it can safely be used at the same time as AIDA64, HWiNFO, HWMonitor, SIV and any other program that correctly interlocks access.

As the guy has a H100iV2 this can also be reported by AIDA64 + HWiNFO + SIV when CL4 is active.

In general it's only software that comes from motherboard makers that causes issues.

Yes, it saves a lot of guessing.

The fans won't hit 100% 'till the H100iV2 coolant temperature is 40°C.

If you wish different to this then change from Performance to Custom and set 100% at a different/lower temperature.

Corsair, the CL4 configure panel in that above attached screen shot fails to specify the designation/name of the fan that is being configured. OK, I can guess this from the H100iV2 coolant temperature name, but it really should report the fan name.

Yes, it saves a lot of guessing.

The fans won't hit 100% 'till the H100iV2 coolant temperature is 40°C.

If you wish different to this then change from Performance to Custom and set 100% at a different/lower temperature.

Corsair, the CL4 configure panel in that above attached screen shot fails to specify the designation/name of the fan that is being configured. OK, I can guess this from the H100iV2 coolant temperature name, but it really should report the fan name.

If this is true than the fans should ramp up because as you can clearly see in the image the CPU temp hits 55c so the coolant must be at least 40c correct? Also, this didn't happen with the Corsair Sp120L stock fans that came with the cooler. Also not with previous Corsair link software. This is the first time i encountered this problem. Now i have to set the fan speed to max when i am doing some rendering or work in Adobe because i am afraid now that my CPU will get too hot and becomes unstable due to this problem.

Correct me if i am wrong but I personally think this is an Corsair link problem or the internal fan controller of the cooler cannot handle the powerful 3K RPM Noctua fans. I don't know any specs on the Corsair stock fans but i do know that the Noctua fans do draw a lot of power and the max input power is 6,6 W and the max input current is 0,55A.

No, on the 120mm model, you are well below the current threshold for the unit at (0.30A per fan). This F12 model has an obviously different range than the fans it replaced (and the fans the curve was designed for). 60% on a 2400 rpm will not yield the same speed as 60% on a 3000 rpm fan.

The fans' purpose is to remove heat from the water. This is the H100i v2 Temp (water temperature) in the last box on the Link main page. Water temperature will always start at your room temperature as a minimum, and then go up as heat is added and down as heat is removed (via the radiator) from the system. The water temperature serves as your base CPU temperature. You really can't be lower than this, other than the normal fluctuations around equilibrium. Your end CPU temperature is that starting water temperature + the voltage induced temp change on the CPU directly. It's that last part that provides all the heat and that heat must pass through the CPU to get to the cooling system. You can only control water temperature with your fan speed. To control voltage induced heat, change your voltage.

So, the real value to look at when assessing fan speed is the H100i v2 Temp. Take a start reading before you dive in and then check it while in use. No matter how much fan speed you add, you can't reduce it past the start temp. So if you only have a 4C rise in water temp, you can only reduce CPU temps by 4C at any fan speed. In reality, complete efficiency is never possible. Most people have standing idle water temps 2-6C over the room temp (case layout dependent). It's difficult and usually unnecessary to run extreme fan speeds and the water temp won't go down any more. I suspect a lot of your CPU temp is both voltage and CPU design. THe cooler can't do much for that.

Look at the screen shot, the H100iV2 coolant temperature is 33.5°C :!:

Really....? I don't care about the coolant temp but more about my CPU temp..

The obviously stays between 30-40c because the fans are cooling it.. In the mean while my CPU is cooking..

I found a fix though. Instead of monitoring the coolant temp i can set the group at CPU package instead so i monitor my CPU package. This solved my problem. Didn't know i could change it.

Thnx for all you're time though.

Really....? I don't care about the coolant temp but more about my CPU temp.

Yes and if the coolant is cool enough it will cool the CPU. You need to focus of the coolant to CPU delta rather than the absolute CPU temperature. If the delta is too high then you may have an issue with the CPU to cooler thermal connectivity.

Really....? I don't care about the coolant temp but more about my CPU temp..

Yes, but this is why we tried to explain how the cooler (and every other cooler) works. That water temp is the only variable you can control with the fans, regardless of model of design. It is the same with an air cooler, you just don't get the conductivity benefits of water or the increased capacity to hold the heat. You are not blowing air on the CPU. The difference between your water temperature and the current CPU core temps is a function of the CPU design and the amount of voltage you put through it. That heat must be transferred out of the CPU unit, through the lid, TIM, and cold plate. The ability of those materials to transfer heat is more or less fixed. This is the limiting factor for most CPUs. You will reach a voltage where the CPU heats up faster than the heat can be removed, perhaps even more so on an AMD model.

You are using an extreme amount of fan speed, probably more than is needed or helpful.

Yes, but this is why we tried to explain how the cooler (and every other cooler) works. That water temp is the only variable you can control with the fans, regardless of model of design. It is the same with an air cooler, you just don't get the conductivity benefits of water or the increased capacity to hold the heat. You are not blowing air on the CPU. The difference between your water temperature and the current CPU core temps is a function of the CPU design and the amount of voltage you put through it. That heat must be transferred out of the CPU unit, through the lid, TIM, and cold plate. The ability of those materials to transfer heat is more or less fixed. This is the limiting factor for most CPUs. You will reach a voltage where the CPU heats up faster than the heat can be removed, perhaps even more so on an AMD model.

You are using an extreme amount of fan speed, probably more than is needed or helpful.

No it doesn't. The Corsair software changed from monitor the CPU temp to water temp, the previous versions of Corsair link worked fine and the fans ramp up faster while the CPU temp rises. Now under heavy load the fans simply don't ramp up like they used to do due to this change. Until the water temp is hitting 50c, the fans spin between 1980-2100 RPM which is far to slow in order to cool properly.

I am sure you mean well, but i am not a noob at this you know. I am an mechanic so i understand perfectly well how all this works.

The reason why i got these Noctua 3K RPM fans is that they have a much better seal on the radiator and have much higher static pressure which is better on high density radiator like the Corsair H100iv2. This results in much lower temps at high speed but also on low speed due to a much better fan design.

but then again, my problem is kinda solved so i am not spending anymore time in to this as most information is not very helpful in my situation.

Until the water temp is hitting 50c, the fans spin between 1980-2100 RPM which is far to slow in order to cool properly.

Your H100i v2 Temp (water temperature) reaches 50C during use? If true, you have another problem and it isn't the fans. It would be particularly challenging with the rather low 62C core temp maximum for the FX8350.

You have consistently demonstrated you don't understand how the cooling system works on a basic level and I am afraid this is going to lead to further frustration. A large number of us are using Noctua industrial line fans and do not have this problem. I have 16 of them, although the few 3000 rpm models I have are dusty or have been re-tasked for non-PC use after years of testing proved them to be unnecessary for radiator duty. However, as mentioned, your real problem is your CPU temp to water temp delta and that is not a cooler or fan issue. We tried to get you to examine the water temperature delta, but you appear to be unwilling or do not understand why we are asking.

My suggestion to you is to take the fans off the H100i v2 Pump block and connect them to your motherboard directly. If you wish to run from package temp, it is likely the board will provide more flexibility and an easier tie in with your other fan controls. You don't appear to have any other Corsair hardware that might benefit from Link and running from package temp somewhat defeats the purpose of using the Link software for fan control. You don't need to uninstall Link. Set it not to run on start up. That should give you the ability to go in and make LED changes if needed. Of course, your fans are going to ramp up and down with every little blip of CPU activity, but you seemed determined to pursue this course. Good luck.

Your H100i v2 Temp (water temperature) reaches 50C during use? If true, you have another problem and it isn't the fans. It would be particularly challenging with the rather low 62C core temp maximum for the FX8350.

You have consistently demonstrated you don't understand how the cooling system works on a basic level and I am afraid this is going to lead to further frustration. A large number of us are using Noctua industrial line fans and do not have this problem. I have 16 of them, although the few 3000 rpm models I have are dusty or have been re-tasked for non-PC use after years of testing proved them to be unnecessary for radiator duty. However, as mentioned, your real problem is your CPU temp to water temp delta and that is not a cooler or fan issue. We tried to get you to examine the water temperature delta, but you appear to be unwilling or do not understand why we are asking.

My suggestion to you is to take the fans off the H100i v2 Pump block and connect them to your motherboard directly. If you wish to run from package temp, it is likely the board will provide more flexibility and an easier tie in with your other fan controls. You don't appear to have any other Corsair hardware that might benefit from Link and running from package temp somewhat defeats the purpose of using the Link software for fan control. You don't need to uninstall Link. Set it not to run on start up. That should give you the ability to go in and make LED changes if needed. Of course, your fans are going to ramp up and down with every little blip of CPU activity, but you seemed determined to pursue this course. Good luck.

Are you serious or what...? :bigeyes:

Look at the image i provided in my previous post.. does it look like the water temp is 50c under load..? Of course not, that would mean that the water is boiling inside the tubes and it would probably burn the cooler... That and my CPU would reach 80c or more which would probably kill it or my system simply shuts down..

I know its the water that is cooling the CPU.. you are the one that doesn't quite understand what i am trying to say here. If the temp sensor is set to monitor the H100iv2 instead of the CPU itself, that would mean that its monitoring the water temp instead of CPU temp and the fans only ramp up if the water is reaching near boiling point.. At that stage my system is already shut itself down due to temp throttling..

Also the max temp is not 62c in these chips but 72c, this is coming from AMD themselves. Besides, there is a software called AMD overdrive which you can use as reverence as to how high the threshold is to tj max.

I also already told you that i kinda solved my problem in corsair link by changing the group to CPU package instead of H100iv2. Unfortunately i cannot set it to CPU directly but that's not a real problem because the package is nearly the same temp as CPU anyway.

Thank you for your time anyway.

Until the water temp is hitting 50c, the fans spin between 1980-2100 RPM which is far to slow in order to cool properly.

You were the one who made this statement. If your water temperature has not reached 50C, how do know the fan behavior at this point? It is well above the Link curve points in your earlier screen shot.

does it look like the water temp is 50c under load..? Of course not, that would mean that the water is boiling inside the tubes and it would probably burn the cooler...

I think we all know the boiling point of water. If you are a mechanic, you should have at least a casual knowledge of the temperature failure point of various rubber tubing and also know you can't reach them in this type of system. I hope you are a lot more precise with your hands than your words.

Having reviewed some of your other posts, it is very doubtful I will be able to break through and convince you to carefully examine what we have said. However, I will again reiterate the suggestion to move fan control from the cooler to the motherboard. I am not familiar with your specific motherboard, but most Asus models will provide more responsive fan controls than you will get by running from package temp in Link. It would also restore any system resources consumed by the program. Now, if you are short motherboard headers or do not have other system fan controls, then perhaps it is best to continue as you are now.

You were the one who made this statement. If your water temperature has not reached 50C, how do know the fan behavior at this point? It is well above the Link curve points in your earlier screen shot.

I think we all know the boiling point of water. If you are a mechanic, you should have at least a casual knowledge of the temperature failure point of various rubber tubing and also know you can't reach them in this type of system. I hope you are a lot more precise with your hands than your words.

Having reviewed some of your other posts, it is very doubtful I will be able to break through and convince you to carefully examine what we have said. However, I will again reiterate the suggestion to move fan control from the cooler to the motherboard. I am not familiar with your specific motherboard, but most Asus models will provide more responsive fan controls than you will get by running from package temp in Link. It would also restore any system resources consumed by the program. Now, if you are short motherboard headers or do not have other system fan controls, then perhaps it is best to continue as you are now.

Oke, listen carefully this time and try to understand what i am trying to say here. You are starting to annoy me with your statements that has nothing to do with my problem whatsoever..

Now, My Noctua 3K RPM fans are connected to the Corsair unit, normally i have set the fan curve to quiet mode in order to have a quiet system.

Under heavy load, gaming, rendering etc. i set the fan curve to performance, this means that the fans are able to spool up higher and more aggressive due to the fan curve which results in lower temps.

Okey, the problem i had was that with the newer software the water temp instead of CPU temp is monitored which results that the fans don't spin up to 100% until water temp reaches 50c. The water temp is never ever going to reach 50c for obvious reasons, so the fans simply don't spool up. This is mainly due to being a different cooler than the H100i i had before, this is an H100iv2 which is made by Asetek and the H100i is made by CoolIt.

The difference is that with the (normal) H100i, the CPU temp is being monitored which worked perfectly because that is the real CPU temp so the fans spin up under heavy load so i don't have to worry about high CPU temps..

I don't know if you are totally ignorant or deliberately not reading my posts but i already said that i solved the problem in my previous post..

Now all of a sudden the Corsair program doesn't work anymore and i can't even see my Noctua fans in order to adjust the speed.. so i have to solve that problem also..

You still don't understand the relationship between water temperature and CPU temperature. I won't try to further explain how the system works. Your mind is closed.

All of the "i" coolers have defaulted to water temperature fan controls, including the prior H100i. It is possible to use other variables, but the results are not always as expected. This is one of the reasons I have repeatedly suggested you move fan control to the motherboard.

Look again at the graph from your Link screenshot. Where is the 100% fan line? 100% is at 40C. I suspect you haven't reached that level either and thus the fans will not run at ~3000RPM. Normally, I would suggest you use a custom curve in Link to force the fans to run at a higher speed than the default profiles, however when running from package temp, the results can be strange. Obviously setting your control variable to package temp and then using the included profiles developed for water temperature, a variable with a much different range, will likely cause you fans to run a high speeds almost constantly. You seem fine with this, however...

Now you are having trouble with the program on another level. So once again, I am going to suggest moving the fans to the motherboard. You surely will be able to control them from CPU temperature in the BIOS or with Asus fan tools. Your board headers have a 1.0A limit and the combined 0.60A of the two fans is safely below that. You are not utilizing the Link program and there is no advantage to using it if you intend to run from CPU package temp. You can be as stubborn as you like, but I am still trying to help you. However, I am not sure how much more I can offer and you may find others unwilling to help.

You can always submit a support ticket to Corsair directly, and then tell them they don't understand what they are talking about.

• 4 months later...
The thing is that he/she says that he/she is a mechanic but the cooling system on a car works more or less the same way as a cpu cooler, the water flows through the engine, heats up then is pumped to the radiator, where it's cooled by the cool air flowing through it as you drive along assisted by the fans when needed. The cooling requirements, whether the fan runs etc are governed by the water temp, through the thermostat.

I mean that's logical, cooling a radiator only cools the coolant.

It just sounded like what they actually wanted was the fan noise to make it sound like things were happening. If they want loud fans, especially stock ones, switching the control group will definitely accomplish that.

Archived