Corsair Community

Which Dominator Platinum for OC'd 6700K system

Ca1ibos

I'm building my first gaming PC in a decade (I have however built several powerful gaming rigs for family and friends in the intervening years) VR is whats brought me back to the gaming fold. I've really liked Corsair products for the last few years and those aforementioned friend and family PC's were full of Corsair parts as much as possible.

I have an Air 540 from an aborted media server rig from a few years ago. I'll be cooling CPU and GPU with a pair of H110i GT's and an HG10 for nVidia Pascal. PSU will be Corsair. I'll be asking about which one to get in a PSU thread. The CPU will be a 6700K which I'll be overclocking and the motherboard will be a Asus Z170 Sabertooth Mark 1 with Thermal Armour. I've decided on 32gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum. The main question is what frequency? Did I hear correctly that 2400mhz is the most I should bother with keeping in mind I'll be overclocking the CPU?

Did I hear correctly that 2400mhz is the most I should bother with keeping in mind I'll be overclocking the CPU?

Wait, what?

Overclocking CPU and the memory (controller) are two different things. Maybe you want to read a tutorial about Skylake overclocking, before buying stuff. Other than that i am happily running my 6700K @ 4.5/4.5 and my early Vengance LPX 2800 overclocked at DDR3-3333 (on ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene).

Wait, what?

Overclocking CPU and the memory (controller) are two different things. Maybe you want to read a tutorial about Skylake overclocking, before buying stuff. Other than that i am happily running my 6700K @ 4.5/4.5 and my early Vengance LPX 2800 overclocked at DDR3-3333 (on ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Gene).

Sorry, I worded that badly. I thought I had read that in general 2400mhz was plenty fast and I do understand that memory has been decoupled from CPU clocks for years.

Let's make the assumption that I'm not an idiot and will fully research how to overclock a skylake before I attempt it. Let's also make the assumption that with a view to over clocking in the future I don't want to have to rebuy ram. What spec DDR4 ram would you buy?

• Corsair Employee

Hello Ca1ibos,

It'd be my personal preference to purchase memory around 2666-3000mhz mark. Skylake can definitely push past that, but it really depends on how you use your system. If you're using your system for heavy video editing or use of ram disk, you may want to consider faster speeds since those types of applications would actually benefit from high speed RAM. For gaming or other general uses, I'd suggest sticking around 2666-3000mhz for ease of use with XMP but still increase performance for not much more cost. Even higher speed may need some tweaking of voltages since the IMC of Skylake is on the CPU.

Archived