Corsair Community

Will these two work together? Please help.

Stormspeed

Right now I am running 2 X 512 Twinx 3200C2 Pro sticks on my MSI K8N Neo Platinum @ 200fsb 2-3-3-8 timings without a problem. I found a good deal on ebay for a stick of CMX512-3700 Pro. I know the timings are different, but will these 3 sticks run together stable? I understand the 3700 will only run at 200. What timings will be safe to run?

Maybe... :D: Its totally up to luck when mixing versions and different brands etc.. of RAM. The rating of the 3700 RAM @ 233Mhz is 3-4-4-8 i think, it might do the timings of your 3200 RAM if it gets along. I've set one mates system with 1 3700pro and 2 3200XL pro xms modules running at 200fsb 2 2 2 5 with 2.7v bt i could be lucky.

I would not suggest mixing memory, and yes you are just lucky. Normally XMS3700 will not run bellow Cass 3-3-3-8 at DDR400!

So what your saying is that I will be lucky if they work together. I just wanted an increase in physical memory. I thought you could downclock memory better than overclock. I dont mind running at 3-3-3-8 timings. Im not much of a bencher. I dont think I will lose that much performance over my current timings. Would you not agree?

Also why is my current memory rated at CAS 2.5 on AMD systems? I have been running CAS 2 for over a year and havent had any stability problems.

• Corsair Employee

With AMD 64 CPU's since the memory controller is in the CPU it will rely on the SPD to set the memory timings and if the modules are not exactly matched it will usually display no memory or SPD detected.

And with Cass 2 modules on AMD we saw that some platforms could not run reliably at Cass 2 so rather than confuse things we just listed it as All AMD platforms where suggested at Cass 2.5. However, with AMD 64 most if not all of the MB's we have tested have been able to run at Cass 2.0 with out problems.

Just wanted to give a quick update. The 3700 stick works flawlessly with my 3200. Just had to tone down the timings to 3-3-3-8 @333, 1.7v. Ran 3dmark 01, 03, and 05 without a hiccup. The revisions are close. The 3200 is rev 1.0 and the 3700 is 1.2. Havent tried to up timings just yet and havent had time to memtest yet. But so far, my computer doesnt know the difference. One thing thats funny though, Sandra, CPU-Z and nvutility have reported this stick as PC4000. I love Corsair!

Archived