Corsair Community

High CPU temp while low pump temperature

michaelyum

I have switched from using Noctua NH D15 to Corsair H100i v2 to reduce the chasis temperature to accomodate my 2 GTX 980 Ti.

When I did the realbench stress test, the reported CPU temperature shot up to 88 degree celsius. My pc crashed twice before the 10 mins mark and barely passed a 15 min test. When I did thr same test with Noctua NH D15, 7x degree is the max I could get.

I know in reality, i won't get as high temp as i got in stress test. But is this the kind of performance i should expect from H100i v2? Could someone share his experience? I was looking to replace my GPU stock fan with Corsair liquid cooler. This performance really worries me.

I saw in Corsair website that thermal compound is pre-applied, so i didn't apply any thermal compound, which I have. Should I apply thermal compound myself?

Besides, i tried to gently tap the mount and felt it's secured. Don't know if the mounting could cause the problem.

The temperature reported by Corsair Link is only around 40 degree (i guess it's the water temperature) when the CPU is 80 degree. Does this tell what's wrong?

It would be helpful if you could add your system spec to your profile. Depending on the cpu/motherboard you have, the first step would be to check the back of the motherboard to make sure that the rear mounting plate is installed correctly. If you have an 115* series motherboard there are 2 screwheads on the back of the motherboard, that have to line up with 2 cutouts in the backplate. If they don't you will get problems. Of course, if you don't use the backplate that won't apply. You can also tryapplying gentle pressure to the pump, to see if that makes a difference and also to see if you can feel a vibration. Have you checked Link or your Bios to see if the pump is working?

No, you don't have to put TIM on, the pre-applied stuff is good, of course if you remove the pump (for example to realign the back plate) you will need to clean it off and put new TIM on.

Thanks for the advice. I have updated my PC spec. I am pretty sure I was installing the backplate on the 1151 socket according to the manual. I have slided the screwhead inside or it won't fit.

I believe I may have to try remounting the pump. Is Noctua NT-H1 thermal compound good enough?

NT-H1 is a good product. Regardless, the thermal paste is not the issue. Differences between brands might be 1-2C, not the 10-20C we are looking for. 40C water temp is probably normal for 980 Ti x 2. Those gpu's will affect your water temperature by increasing the case temperature. That case temperature will always be the baseline water temp + the CPU heat that passes through the contact plate.

Since the water temperature is within the expected range, it is most likely a contact issue between the block and plate.

If I remember correctly, the small notches/cut-outs are on the outside of the backplate bracket, between two of the arms, it's easy to miss. A quick look through the motherboard tray cut out should be enough to see if it's a problem. Try this link, it's for an H100i but the pictures are the same.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=139165

Noctua TIM is very good, I use it myself.

By the way, I have just remounted the pump and still getting these "sky high" temperature no. I guess I will call the reseller tomorrow to see what could be done. If this is the performance I am getting from a properly functioning Corsair product, I am not sure if I should support it ever again.

I'm currently using an H110i GT on a 6600K with a mild overclock (3.9) and it is running at very low 20's at idle (all 4 of the case fans are off as Asus Fan Expert allows you to turn them off below 30 degrees) and after a couple of hours playing Fallout 4 at 4K it only goes up to high 30's. That's how a correct functioning Corsair cooler works. You definitely have a problem, even with my radiator fans disconnected it didn't go that high. Try raising a ticket with Corsair at the top of the page. Have you checked the pump speed in the bios or Link?

Thanks, snapper69. That is the temperature I have dreaming of. Advice taken, I will contact Corsair with a ticket.

The pump speed reported by Link is over 2000 rpm. The interesting thing is I just got an replacement today. After installation, still over 80 degree Celsius under Realbench stress test. It made me start to question if something could go wrong with the installation. I watch many videos on how to install H100i and follow the manual step by step.

Perhaps the only explanation is the GTX 980 Ti is the ultimate culprit.... which I don't want to believe is true

Could you try disconnecting the 980ti from power and run the graphics on the motherboard as a quick test? I would also consider trying it with the front panel off and then with the side panel off, if you have a desk fan, you could always try pointing that into the side.

Do you actually have 2 x 980ti's in there? If so what are the temps like with just 1 of them?

Are you running the H100i as an exhaust on the top?

980 Ti x 2 is going to be a factor in any usage. Time and again I am startled by the amount of heat those cards put out and the effect it has on other hardware. If your internal case temperature is 10C higher than another user, your CPU baseline temps will always be 10C higher under the same conditions.

The thing to do is separate the GPU component from the CPU stress testing. Use AIDA64, OCCT, XTU or something similar that is a CPU only test. You don't need to run very long. 10 minutes is plenty to see if the cooler is functioning properly, although 15 seconds would enough if the block is not making good contact. If the block is making good contact, there will be the sudden rise in CPU temps as the voltage spikes on the CPU. However, the water temp should be somewhat slow to rise (fan speed too because of this). As the water temperatures rises, there may be some further creeping up of the CPU temps, usually in a 1C to 1C rate as the baseline temperature rises. Fan speed can offset this too some degree.

If the block is not making good contact, the CPU temps will immediately spike and likely will be somewhat erratic at the top end, depending on how large the gap is between the lid and plate. The water temperature would probably be somewhat lower and slower to rise since not all of the heat is transmitted through the plate. The GPU heat is the wild card in this and makes diagnosing the issue more difficult, which is another reason to remove it from the testing for now.

Compare that to the Real Bench numbers. Then compare that again with your normal usage of the PC, whether it's graphic work or gaming. That may help flesh out the culprit.

Take note of the water temperatures and CPU temperatures. You can compare the water temperature to a motherboard or non-C drive temperature to get an idea of how much heat is in the case and how much is coming from the CPU. Also, what are your CPU settings relating to frequency and voltage? You did not mention anything specific, so I assumed the standard 4.0 (4.4) and Auto voltage.

You may be correct. Thanks for your input.

I believe this temperature is possible given my CPU clock and GTX 980 Ti SLI configuration. It could be just hard for me to believe this liquid cooler performs worse than my Noctua NH D15, which is also a very good cooler.

One thing is improved since switching to H100i v2. The GPU temperature for my upper card did go down by a few degree. I so desperately wanted to keep the GPU temp below 83 degree so that the clock speed won't be impacted. I succeeded in this regard.

My next step would be to use a radiator to dump heat directly out of the case to see if there is further improvement in both CPU and GPU temperature.

My next step would be to use a radiator to dump heat directly out of the case to see if there is further improvement in both CPU and GPU temperature.

I assume we are talking about a separate radiator for one/both GPUs. If you are currently using the H100i as intake in either the roof or front panel, that is likely something you will want to change.

Actually, the 2 fans on H100i radiator are currently pushing hot air out of the case. The temperature inside the case still seems to be very high.

Update: I have reduced the CPU clock speed back to original 4Ghz from 4.5Ghz. Besides, the core speed of my GPUs were reduced to basic 1000Mhz. I have managed to reduce the max temp of CPU achieved in the Realbench stress test was lowered from 88 degree to 77 degree. In game where CPU load is far less, the temperature will mostly linger below 70 degree. It's more in line with some of the review out there.

Conclusion : the heat produced by 6700K and GTX 980 Ti SLI is no joke!!!

OK, well that's good and you can stop fiddling with the mount. You definitely want to exhaust your radiator in this set-up, as you are. Running it as intake would really compound the problem.

You shouldn't have to sacrifice your overclock to keep things in line. One purpose of running a tradition CPU stress test is to highlight how much heat the Ti's add to the water temp (Real Bench) compared to a CPU only load. My guess is Real Bench is not typical of your normal use either. Knowing how much heat is coming from the GPUs would give an indicator of what steps to take in managing it, other than lowering clock speeds.

Another thing to keep in mind is how the Skylake chips react to stress testing when using auto voltage or auto load line calibration. They tend to have a large voltage overshoot that can cause some higher than expected CPU temperatures. Check your peak core voltage after a test. Often it has gone considerably higher than necessary.

With the 2 x 980 Ti, your water temperatures are always going to be above the pre-programmed "preset" curves in Corsair LINK. You are going to want to create your own to keep the fans from running full blast 30 seconds into your gaming experience. The fan speed will help reduce the water temperature, but within the confines of gaming or normal use, taking 3C off the water temperature (and thus the CPU as well) is probably not worth running near maximum fan speeds. Another alternative is to set a fixed fan speed for the radiator fans. Something you can stand when gaming. Save it as a preset and load it up. This will help ensure you have to large exhaust flow at a noise level you can live with. Probably can't have too much exhaust with this set-up.

Thanks, c-attack. You are absolutely right.

Max fan speed is by no means acceptable to me. I can definitely run my system overclocked. With my custom fan speed profile, the fan noise is acceptable. One thing I will do is: set different OC profiles and lower the clock speed if the game doesn't require that much horsepower. My 4K monitor is limited to 60Hz after all. You know, it feels good to know your CPU and GPU are running at a low temperature.

Archived