Corsair Community

Possibly bad set of TwinX1024-3200XL

rlwaters

I purchased a matched pair of 512mb Corsair DDR400 PC3200's recently to go in a high end gaming system. My game of choice lately has been World of Warcraft, and I've been experiencing near constant crashes to desktop.

On the advice of one of the techs, I downloaded and installed memtest86 and prime95 in order to discover if I had any borderline flaky components. The results of memtest86 showed every single attempted test across 6 passes were failed. Prime95 also failed out after less than 2 minutes.

System Specs are as follows:

Case: Cooler Master TAC-T01 Wave Master

PSU: Antec 480W NeoPower Power Supply

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 Socket 939 OEM

Cooling: Thermalright SLK-948U w/Vantec Stealth 92mm FAN

Motherboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe WiFi Edition

Hard Drive: Two Western Digital 74GB SATA, 10000 RPM w/ 8-MB Cache

Video Card: eVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra 256-MB

Monitor: Dell Ultrasharp 2001 20" LCD

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum

Speakers: Logitech Z-680 5.1

CD/DVD-RW: Pioneer 16x DVD+RW/-RW DVR-108 OEM

Mouse: Logitech MX100 Optical Mouse

Operating System: Windows XP Pro w/ SP2

Floppy: Generic Black Floppy Disk Drive

--------

Now with as consistant as the failures were in memtest86, I am willing to conceed its possible user error in configuration. I need a bit of a hand decyphering where the problem may lie, and what I need to do to stabilize this system.

Thanks,

Rob Waters

That's not 4000PRO, it's 3200XLPRO. Since the error is on that website, I emailed their sales and webmaster about it. Not a good sign when the email gets returned saying the email does not exist for the webmaster :(

Try one stick at a time in the same slot with the ras to cas delay at 3 (TESTING purpose only) @ 2.75 or 2.8 volts.

Your absolutely right about the company Wired... they gave me a bad feeling, however they were recommended by Pricewatch, so I decided to give them a try.

I am at work currently, but after seeing your suggestion as well as doing my own research, I'll give the 'stick at a time' method a shot with memtest this afternoon.

I'll also edit the title of the post to reflect the actual ram model (pulled from the stick itself)

Thanks,

Rob

Motherboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe

Essentially everything in the BIOS is untouched as far as settings are concerned. All memory items are set as AUTO. I'm still at work, so I can't be more specific.

Anything in particular you need to know? If so, I'll dig those settings up when I get home in ~3ish hours.

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest bios and install the modules in slots 2-4 and then load setup defaults and set the Dim voltage to 2.8 Volts and set the timings as follows:

CAS Latency CL=2.0

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 11

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set Enable 2T Timings to AUTO and test it again!

Ok now I'm getting frustrated.

Procedure--

1) Flashed my BIOS to the most recent version.

2) Rebooted and tried memtest

2a) memtest failed

3) Modified the settings noted above

3a) memtest failed

4) Removed one of the sticks

5) Attempted to reboot

5a) Black screen, no bios, no POST beep, nothing.

6) Removed 2nd stick and reversed their slot order (Still only one stick in the PC)

7) Rebooted

7a) Black screen, no bios, no sound, nothing.

So essentially, the PC will only display with both sticks installed (in any order)... however, it should be noted that once it boots with a black screen it takes holding the power switch for 4 seconds to restart (leading me to beleive it may actually be to the login prompt, just not displaying).

I'm trying to get in touch with phone support right now, but any ideas would be appreciated.

Rob

Figured out part of this problem...

The reason it wont boot in the configuration I was trying, is that its idea of where bank0 and my idea of where bank0 should be are two completely different things.

Still getting all errors on memtest though.

Never have been able to get hold of tech support (aside from this site of course)...

Rob

Just wanted to follow up this thread briefly.

I got in contact with Ray in tech support, and we went through the BIOS a bit more carefully, as well as shift the stick's location to a different set of slots. Once those steps were done, memtest86 tested through ok over 10 passes, and Prime95's torture test went for 3 hours (I turned it off, no errors).

So in essence, I think we got it. Many thanks to both Ray on the phone, Ram Guy, and Wired here.

Time will tell if WoWarcraft will behave now, I can only hope.

Top Notch folks...

Rob

Archived