Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra and TWINX1024-3200C2

lRaphl

Hi,

as stated in title, I have a Gigabyte GA-8I875 Ultra and TWINX1024-3200C2. My problem is that I can't set it to CAS 2 in the BIOS (only 2.5 and higher). The CAS 2 option isn't showing at all. I asked a lot of question about this to Gigabyte and here is what they said in the end:

Answer : Dear Sir,

Thank you again for your kindly mail and inquiry. In fact, the CAS info. is provided by memory module, then BIOS will provide the available options for choosing. Thus, please kindly ask Corsair for confirmation later and sorry for the inconvenience.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

******** Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products ***********

The memory is running rock solid, but I would like to run it at it's stated spec 2-3-3-6. Right now, it's running at 2.5-3-3-6. Is Gigabyte right by refering me here or should I continue harassing them for a good answer??

Btw, nothing is overclocked and here is system spec:

GA-8I875 Ultra (BIOS F10)

TWINX1024-3200C2 (LOT# 0429045-1)

P4 3.0E

I don't think anything else is needed...

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I'm hitting CTRL-F1. If I don't set it manualy, the BIOS detect it at 3-4-4-8. Like you said, I'm pretty sure it's a BOIS issue. I just want to make it 100% sure and then I'll continue to ask questions to Gigabyte! ;):

Ok, I will contact GB an other time and see what they have to say about it. I will try my memory in an other computer as soon as I can and see what will hapen.

Btw, I would like to know if it's true that v3.1 of this memory (wich I have) is using Infineon memory chip?? If yes, I didn't find a single memory chip on their web site supporting CAS 2 @ 200MHz, only 166MHz . This is why I think it may be the cause of my problem. Could I be right ?

• Corsair Employee

Yes you are correct, Infineon is the IC used on XMS3200C2 for a short time. But we can try replacing the modules if you want to try that.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Ok! Here is the answer of Gigabyte:

Dear Sir,

Thank you again for your kindly mail and inquiry. After checked F10 version BIOS setting, as you can see on the picture, the CAS BIOS default or optimized settign value is 2. Thus, we recommend you trying to test again with other memory modules later. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us directly. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

******** Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products ***********

One of my friend is comming this afternoon with a 512MB OCZ stick (2-3-3-6). I will try it and see if I can really set it to CAS 2. If yes, I'm going to send my memory for an exchange. I'll keep you informed as soon as it's tested.

Thank you

• Corsair Employee
Well this is a bios setting and if you install a module that has its SPD set to Cass 2 or 2.5 then you should see that option. But the modules we have are set to Cass 3 in the SPD and then MB will have to allow you to set it to Cass 2 or over clock and the Gigabyte Bios does not. I would suggest you test the modules in another MB like ASUS or ABIT or MSI and see what happens.

• Corsair Employee

lRaphl

I tried to explain that too you. Our modules have their SPD set to Cass 3 and the bios should allow you to set the timings to Cass 2. But they do not. The reason you can set the other modules is because the SPD is set to Cass 2 or 2.5. Can you try our modules in your friends system? In addition I have no problem replacing your modules but I am not sure that will solve the problem.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I finaly was able to try it in my friend's computer (MSI PT880) and here is the result:

CAS: 2.5

vdim: 2.6V

Everything worked without any problems.

CAS: 2

vdim: 2.6V

System not stable, reboot in games, fatal errors in prime95 and superPI.

vdim: 2.75V

System seems stable but still fatal errors in prime95 and superPI.

vdim: 2.80V

Same thing as vdim = 2.75V.

So the problem must be the memory...no?

• Corsair Employee
Well no the suggested settings for the modules you have and with an AMD platform would be Cass 2.5-3-3-6. The point is that you could set them to Cass 2 in your friends system and not in your Gigabyte MB. Again, I have no problem replacing your modules, but I am not sure that will solve the original reported problem.

• Corsair Employee

Please send us a email with a copy of the form or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to Warranty@corsairmemory.com. Or you can also use the On Line RMA Request Form as well.

If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to rma@corsairmemory.com and we will help to resolve it.

• 1 year later...

Archived