Corsair Community

Weird problem with RAM and MOBO

AtomicSluG

Hey there...

so basically i'm baffled by my current problem.

Before we begin here are my relevant specs:

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR Mobo

3200+ Amd Athlon (32bit)

Basically, up until recentley i had my nice pair of 512 x 2 (1 gig total) Corsair XMS TwinX PC 3200 C2PT running on my system. All was well...until suddenly i found that i couldn't boot up with both sticks in either slots. Each stick worked on its own...but they no longer wanted to be friends. The specific problem is...the PC wont boot up. No display etc.

The odd thing is...my older 256 x 2 (512 total) Corsair XMS TwinX PC 3200 LLPT ram works perfectly together. What's going on? And why does the older ram work together? I tried my GIGs worth of Ram on my friends computer and they worked fine together!

I've almost resorted to buying a new motherboard and CPU because i'm so stumped by this problem. Any ideas? It's really stopping me from enjoying Half-Life 2 at the settings i want!

Thanks in advance,

Sluggy

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/Optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

CPU Freq: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Resulting Frequency: 200 MHz (400 FSB)

Memory Timing: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

DDR Reference Voltage: 2.7 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings are motherboards defaults

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Archived