Corsair Community

Nf7-s Rev 2.0 | Corsair Pc3200 Xl Cmx-2x512

mjs1231

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well after months of overclocking I have come to a conclusion.

nothing seems to be 100 % stable over 400 fsb @ 1t

i am formally resigning from overclocking

this has been kind of a let down for me. I have spent too much money and its taken way to much of my time and the end results are a bit disapointing.

Here is my complete findings.

buy a cheap power supply that will pass multimeter testing. based on your wattage needs.

motherboard that runs at a 400 fsb at 1-1

a 2 ghz cpu of any kind that will run @ 400 1-1

ddr that will do 5 2 2 2.0 @ 400

and the video card and storage system apropriate for your needs.

final statement.

overclocking is fun but its only for screen shots.

its not for any real usage because of stability issues inheirent with current hardware of our time.

• Corsair Employee
buy a cheap power supply that will pass multimeter testing. Based on your wattage needs.

Using an OEM Meter will really not tell you anything, you would need to Oscilloscope to really see a problem with the PSU.

Also I would try and relax the timings if you will over clock, stability can be a tricky at times, but running 1T command rate and or the fastest timings does not always give the best performance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

check this out

i been useing a zalman copper/aluminum heat sink for a long time now, the round one with 92 mm fan.

I recently took it out and cleaned it all up

I heard that some times oil and such sink in to the metal base.

and I had noticed that my cpu temps we rising above normal for the last 6 months or so.

So turned on a burner on top my oven to the high setting and let it get red hot.

So grabbed a pair or vice grips and sat the heatsink on the hot burner.

after about 2-5 minutes and after the hs was very hot I saw the most amazing thing happen.

in the middle of the hs where you apply the thermal past.

a trickle of smoke then.... a pool of clear liquid the size of a nickle come right out of the metal before my eyes , bubbled for a few seconds and totaly evaporated leaving no trace of anything but bare metal.

I thought it might have been water but the hs was super hot by then, and water would have evaporated long before that point.

I let it cool reapplied arctic ceramique and shazam my temps were like it was brand new and 10-15 degrees F lower than before.

this is so far, a unknown effect. I have researched this but have found nothing on this event.

I speculate that the liquid was some type of oil that had soaked into the base of the heatsink, but from where it came from or exactly what it was is still unknown.

I have since super heated all heatsinks in posession and had similar results with 75 % of them.

and my system runs alot cooler all around.

cpu chipset gpu hard disks all have lower temps now.

note..

the gpu and chipset heat sinks both trickled smoke after 3-5 minutes and after they were completely clean before heating

Archived