Corsair Community

Corsair H90 causing power supply to click on and off?

Constitutions

Hello,

I got my two H90s today in the mail because I'll be putting them on my 780 Ti reference cards once the Corsair HG10 N1 edition comes out. I just wanted to test these coolers for leaks or at least make sure they aren't faulty before I put them in my system.

I am using an external 850 watt power supply to test these coolers to see if they work but when I plug the two pumps in via molex to 2 pin fan header the power supply continuously clicks on and off.

I read in the manual and it says that the pump has to be plugged in to either a 3 pin or a 4 pin fan header so I am guessing there is some voltage issue going on.

Is that the problem or are both of these new coolers faulty?

If it is the problem, did I cause any damage to the pumps by doing this? And can you explain why the pump needs at least a 3 pin connection (just for future reference)?

Thanks in advance.

There should be no problem with the H90's being plugged directly into the PSU as its still 12v.

Have you tried plugging a fan to test the PSU? Does it do the same?

I would also assume the 2-pin fan header is a 3-pin header but only 2-pins wired?

There should be no problem with the H90's being plugged directly into the PSU as its still 12v.

Have you tried plugging a fan to test the PSU? Does it do the same?

I would also assume the 2-pin fan header is a 3-pin header but only 2-pins wired?

Plugged the fan in only, power supply works fine.

I plugged both the H90's pumps into two 3 pin headers on my motherboard in my system and they worked perfectly. So I guess there is some problem with plugging the H90s in via molex to 2 pin.

Reason why I haven't taken down this post yet is because I at least want to confirm that the pumps are indeed meant to be plugged in to exclusively 3 pin or 4 pin fan headers. I guess I'll just wait for a Corsair rep to respond to this thread unless if anyone else has an explanation for this.

• Corsair Employee

There shouldn't be any difference between plugging the pumps into motherboard headers or into molex adapters.

What power supply are you using? These pumps draw so little power that I'd be more concerned about what's going on with that PSU than the pumps.

There shouldn't be any difference between plugging the pumps into motherboard headers or into molex adapters.

What power supply are you using? These pumps draw so little power that I'd be more concerned about what's going on with that PSU than the pumps.

A power supply that came out of my friend's Alienware desktop. There was nothing wrong with the desktop; he built his own PC and scrapped parts from it but I got him to give me the power supply to test things before I put them in my rig.

I tried testing my Swiftech H240-X that I got for Christmas using the same method with the same power supply and it worked fine.

Like I said before, I now have these pumps plugged into 3 pin headers on my motherboard and they are working fine now. No fans running on the radiator but if I feel the hoses and the waterblock I can feel the pump working.

Archived