Corsair Community

Bad memory module?

volchier

I have two Corsair memory sticks in my Alienware system.

When I first got the system I had to re-seat one of the chips to make the system boot correctly. Up until recently there have been no problems at all. Currently the system locks up and displays vertical bars on all three screens and emits a rather annoying data like sound from the speakers.

I have re-built the system from the ground up and from talking to other PC techs like myself the concensus seems to be that it is the memory modules since I have tried everything else except that.

Any suggestions? Or should I just fill out an RMA form?

Could be the memory slots. Try one stick at a time in multiple slots. Also, is this the memory that came with the PC, or is it memory you installed separately? If it came with the system and it is deemed to be needing an RMA, you may want to contact Alienware about it first (assuming it is under warranty still) because they may cross ship it, or send the new memory to you before you send yours back.

The alienware is out of warrenty by one month. Talk about timing!

I verified that it is the memory last night.

I tried booting the computer and there were multicolor specs all over my screens. I reset the system four times using the reset button all to no avail. I then cracked the case open and re-seated the memory and boom it booted right up with no problems

(Save a BIOS error Checksum bad in one of the memory modules)

That sort of nailed the problem down for me!

• Corsair Employee

Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set? And our modules part#?

Moving to Compatibality Questions as this is not the correct section for this type of question.

• Corsair Employee
I would get the latest bios and then set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts then test the modules one up. If you find you have a failing module, we will be happy to replace them. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I got in two brand new Corsair memory sticks last night. Basically they are V2's instead of the V1's I had in there and that was the only difference. I ran every game and every application that I could toss at it last night. Had all three screens going with games at the same time with no ill effects.

I will continue to test the heck out of this system, but it looks like the RAM was the problem...

• Corsair Employee
You can also use Memtest86 which will thoroughly test the memory module; so please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue and that the memory module is 100%! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure, and let it run over night before you go to sleep/work!

Archived