Corsair Community

GA8PE667 Ultra 2 w/ 2x CMX512 - not booting

bubbadawg

Hi ---

I am running a Gigabyte 8PE667 Ultra2 and had an existing stick of CMX512 3200C2. I picked up another stick of CMX512 32000C2PT and when both are in the slots I am unable to boot. I took out the existing stick and put the new stick in and it boots fine. Checked the manual and both were placed in the correct slots.

Can I not have 2 sticks of 3200 running? The boards supports up to 2GB.

Thanks for any and all replies.

What is the revision of each stick? I'm guessing that they're probably different revisions. If so, try setting the timings like so:

CAS Latency: 3T

RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 8T

• Corsair Employee
Yes, I am sorry, but most MB's would need to have modules that are exactly matched, and one of the reasons we came out with Twinx sets. However, you can try setting the memory frequency and timings manually to the proper settings for your configuration. Something like DDR333 at Cass 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.7 Volts!

The new memory has the following specs - purchased from NewEgg:

Manufacturer: Corsair
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6 1T
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Special Features: with Platinum Heat Spreader
Warranty: Lifetime

I am not sure about the specs on the old memory. It is Corsair XMS 3200 C2. I believe from looking at it last night (~currently @ work) it said V1.7. I assume that is for the version?

Thank you both for the assistance. Any additional info is greatly appreciated.

Hi ---

Thanks for the prompt reply. The new stick, which I currently have on me as I was going to FedEx it back to NewEgg today (will wait until Monday now) has the following info:

CMX512-3200C2PT

XMS3202V4.2

0442044-1

The "old" stick's exact data is not available as it is at home. However, I can provide you with the specs from the original order. If this is not enough, I can post the exact specs tonight. Here's the data:

DDRAM 512MB 32MX8 PC-3200C2

(Serial#: 20145416.003633)

Please let me know if you require additional info on the existing stick.

Again, thanks for the great support!

Thanks. I can tell you that it is not exactly the same as I bought it almost 2 years ago (Jan 2002). With that in mind, how can I add more memory to my system without having to buy 1GB of new memory and discarding the current 512 stick that is currently in there? That is an expense that I really don't want to undertake. Should I try to change the settings as previously mentioned?

Thank you for your help.

Well this issue has raised my curiousity and I found it hard to believe that I could not add any more memory to my system, so I went out to Best Buy, picked up a stick of PNY 512mb 3200 and put it in my machine. Well, wouldn't you know that it booted right up!

Any additional ideas as to why the 2 sticks of Corsair don't play nice?

Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
This module has it's SPD set to JEDEC defined values for the make and type of IC that is used. And the MB you have will not allow for different modules to be used when it's set to By SPD. You can try and set the timings manually to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and you will need to set the memory frequency manually as well to DDR333.

Archived