Corsair Community

Bad Memory

xrayvsion

I have two sticks of cmx512--3200c2 xms 3202v1.2 memory and i think one of them is defective. i have been having random rebooting problems, ranging from once a week to 12 times a day. Ran Memtest and before it was complete had 920 errors (i don't know why my brother stopped it at 85%). I would like to get an RMA and get this problem fixed quickly. I called the tech support line and was told i'd receive a call in 24 hours and it has been about 4 weeks, so now i'm trying the forum

Jamie

I was using an AMD 2200+ with an Asus A7n8x deluxe 400fsb, and i had updated the bios. I am now using a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L 400FSB and i now have the barton 3000+ (just switched last week of september. It also has been tested in other slots and even a third motherboard, another gigabyte i believe. i do not know what the timings are, if you tell me how to check i can for you. i am guessing that is in bios setup. I know that nothing is overclocked or overdriven, both times it was setup by my brother who kept it at normal settings. after changing motherboards and cpus i am still having problems with the memory and that is when i ran memtest if you need the full result i can reinstall the memoryand let memtest run entirely for full results. I am very impressed with the memory however...with all of those problems it has been still mostly working for a year like that (i have always just dealt with it, never thought it could be memory)

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200C2

Advanced Chipset Features (Ctrl + F1)

DRAM Clock: 166 MHz

CPU Freq: 166

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1 or 100%

Configure Dram timing by SPD: Disabled/User define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4/Auto/Enabled

SDRAM Command Rate: 1T

Frequency Voltage Control

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.7/2.75 Volts (+.2)

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI 9200 or 9600 then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

• 1 month later...

alright, i finally got around to testing memory again. i changed/checked the settings

except i didn't know how on:

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4/Auto/Enabled

SDRAM Command Rate: 1T

ran memtest 3 times with each stick

bad stick :

pass 1 3144 errors

pass 2 6577 errors

pass 3 10046 errors

• Corsair Employee

xrayvsion,

Please check the manual that came with your MB, but I think with Gigabyte you have to hit CNTRL + F1 at the main bios screen and please make sure that you set the Dim Over Voltage control to +.2 volts and that you have set the memory Frequency to 100% or DDR333 with the latest bios installed and install the modules in slots 1-3 or 2-3.

found it, set over voltage to +.2 and so far first pass is 3432 errors. I am only using one stick of memory since the other one tested fine. if you need me to install both, i can. please let me know. i have to leave for work, but i will run a few more passes and get you the results.

the mem freq has been set to 100% (on the previous tests also) and slot 1 right now. It was 2-3 when both sticks were in

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
what do i do now? I received my Memory back (assuming it's new) and it is bad (actually worse than the other stuff) I do believe it had something to do with the shipping...All that i had to do to get my new memory out of the box was reach into the OPEN end (open due to the CRUSH injury the box received)...Of course it was just sitting on the porch when i got home, so i couldn't kick the ups guy in the head. Installed, windows would boot, but computer was completely useless. couldn't load any program, or even shut down. ran memtest and had 14 errors btw the two sticks (ran individually one had 2 one had 12)

• Corsair Employee
Please call our tech support at 888-222-4346 and choose option"3" that will take you right to tech support! But please do it when you are in front of your system. Hours are Monday Thru Friday 8:30AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time excluding holidays!

• Corsair Employee

Gigabytes bios is kind of finiky some times, please go back through and make sure the timings are set as we set them on the phone.

CPU Freq: 166 Mhz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Freq: 100%

Dim Over voltage control: +.2 Volts

If that does not solve the problem please call us back and we will get them replaced but I would like to personally test your modules!

Archived