Corsair Community

CX450 occasional shutdowns during gaming

Daonayt

I get an occasional shutdown during gaming and other load scenarios. Everything turns off except the PSU, with the PSU fan very loud. Usually during gaming the PSU is pretty cool and almost inaudible. I can't turn the PC back on, unless I flip the switch on the PSU.

I thought I fixed this by selecting the Power loading option in UEFI (description: Enables or Disables Dummy Load. When the power supply is low load a self protection will activate causing it to shutdown or fail. If this occurs please set to enabled.) But a few days ago, after months of no problems during summer and warm tepmeratures, it happened again. I checked, and the Power loading is enabled.

I am using an RX580 and a Ryzen 5 2600, no overclocking. CX450 should be powerful enough for this.

Sounds like a motherboard issue. If the PSU had a protection tripping, it would shut the PSU off. Since the PSU is still running, it's not a protection and the motherboard is keeping the power good signal.

Is there any other UEFI option I can try or is the motherboard faulty?

• Corsair Employee

AMD's specification for the RX580 is a 500watt PSU. When you get into AIBs that number goes up for quite a few cards. It very well sounds like you are overdrawing the PSU due to the GPU that you are powering.

If your GPU has two 8-pin connectors make sure you are using a separate PCIe power cable from the PSU per PCIe Power connection on the GPU.

• Corsair Employee
AMD's specification for the RX580 is a 500watt PSU. When you get into AIBs that number goes up for quite a few cards. It very well sounds like you are overdrawing the PSU due to the GPU that you are powering.

If your GPU has two 8-pin connectors make sure you are using a separate PCIe power cable from the PSU per PCIe Power connection on the GPU.

An RX 580 is only a 185W card and tends to only have one power connector.

It does have only one connector and it's just not possible for this system to draw anywhere near 500W.

Guess I will have to send the system to service. It's awkward cause I have to send it to a different city. So much for Gigabyte Ultra Durable, I guess.

If you can scrape it up, one of the new RM650 power supplies will make you happy.

I use one and it works fine for gaming.

I have a power meter on my wall where everything is connected, so I can tell fast when something is guzzling too much power