Corsair Community

Corsair H100, doesnt work properly?

Koekepeer

Dear Corsair owners,

I am the proud owner of a Corsair H100 watercooling system for the CPU. I installed it, which was a pain in the ***, booted to Windows, looked in the BIOS for the temps: 28 Degrees (Celsius), I thought: good. Went into Windows, started Speedfan and Real Temp, and the heat spreaded: 75 degrees!! It has now dropped to 50 degrees, idle, I dont even dare to stress the CPU, because of the temps. I followed the whole guide, installed everything right, my radiator is on the side of my case. So what could be the problem??? I added Arctic Silver 5 as thermal compound, one of the better thermal compounds (removed the original compound from both the CPU and the H100).

My CPU is btw a Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @ stock speed (2,333 GHz), my old aircooler (20 euros) made my CPU 50 degrees when idle and 65 stressed, so could anyone please tell me how a 100 euro cooler can win from a 20 euro cooler?

Please help me.

Greetings,

Matthijs

2 things, the paste you removed was some of the best on the market so a baseline comparison is null.

other thing is make sure ALL power saving features are all off like fan control etc..

also you cannot run more than one temp monitoring programs at the same time, the feedback can damage the sensors on the board and chips plus they will give innacurate readings.

boot back into the bios and watch the temps for 10 minutes and report back the temps after 10 min or so in the bios.

also AS5 takes 200 hours before it is fully cured so take that into account as well.

the stock paste is a tried and true compound, the application method you used for AS5 may be incorrect for Corsair coolers.

Thanks for your answer, but taking the thermal compound his time in mind, the temps are still to high, I run stressed (Prime 95, dont even want to know what LynX does) over the 80 degrees, and I dont want 80 degrees on my CPU, so I stop Prime, I dont even want to know what temps it stabilizes at.

Thanks for the reactions guys, really appreciate it :biggrin:

The H100 got a molex adapter, which powers the pump, this is plugged into a molex, so that should work, the fanheader is plugged onto my mainboard, that one transports the rpm to the BIOS, Q-fan is off.

I mounted it again today, tightened with a screwdriver. I still get temps above 50 degrees on all cores, while idle.I am afraid the block isnt tightened onto the cpu enough, because I dont see any thermal compound on the block (thermal compound is applied to the Cpu). Corsair deliveres two kinds of mounting screws, one for socket 2011 (Intel, and coming soon) and 1 for all the others (including my old LGA 775), when you follow the manuel it is hard te figure out which screw is for which socket, but the socket 2011 is the shorter ones, with a difference in thickness between the two heads (dont know another word for it :P). any suggestions?

If you have a socket LGA775 CPU then you should use those posts.

Ensure that cooling block is not fouling any capacitors near CPU as some people have found. This may stop block from tightening down to CPU.

If it is touching capacitors try turning block round 90 deg and check it misses capacitors.

If the block did not show signs of thermal paste touching it I am surprised your temps were not much higher.

Well, I ran prime 95 for about 2 minutes and core 1 reached 105 degrees, quickly stopped it.The block doesnt have any things touching it like they could block it, and the screws are now tightened, so there is no room left to drive them onto the head more, no space left. Still it doesnt touch it.

Tried both kinda screws, the others didnt even fit the block, meant for 2011 (socket), there is no air getting hot through the rad. But I already am going to send it RMA, getting my money back and buy another cooler (not this one again)

Thanks for all your help and have a nice day :)

Question... can you hear the pump when you start the system? I hear a slight "whooshing" in mine when I power up. Aside from that, you never got back to us on the pump speed reading in your BIOS (you need the fan connector hooked up to your HSF header on your MB for this to work).

Dear Corsair owners,

I added Arctic Silver 5 as thermal compound, one of the better thermal compounds (removed the original compound from both the CPU and the H100).

you tried to fix something that wasn't broken. the stock thermal compound that corsair provides is the best to use.

Sounds like the H100 isnt getting tightened down onto the CPU properly. you mention that after taking it off, the paste that you applied to the CPU isnt even on the H100!

The H100's CPU heatsink needs to make full contact with the CPU in order for it to conduct heat... if this is not happening you will get high temperatures.

Check what is stopping the H100 heatsink from making contact with your CPU and try to reseat it before booting up your machine or you may damage it! You can do this by reseating it, then taking it off to ensure the paste is spreading nicely .

By the sounds of it the issue is not with the H100 but with your installation

FYI, this isn't a TIM issue, IMO. Enough acronyms for you?

I diddnt say it was a TIM issue... i was saying that he hasnt fastened the cpu heatsink/waterblock down correctly and that its not actually making proper contact to the CPU.

If it was making proper contact he would see the TIM on the waterblock which he says he does not see.

This could be due to the motherboard he is using as some socket 775 motherboards may have capacitors in the way blocking the waterblock from seating correctly.

Archived