Corsair Community

Commander Pro never shown in Corsair Link, everything working except LED ports on CP

Drakonas

I am past the return date because I purchased this Commander Pro when it was first released, and for months nobody had posted how to set up Lighting Node Pro + Commander Pro + LED Strips altogether.

I had it working by using the 2 LED ports on the Lighting Node Pro which, but I have switched entire builds now.

Now I have a Corsair H110i and a Corsair RM1000i and a 2x bundle package of LL140's I want to set up along with my current HD140 x3 and 4x LED strips both connected to my lighting node pro.... with one problem: Commander Pro does not show up in my Corsair Link software. Never has. I didn't think this was an issue because nobody has posted how their software looks, until now...

Is there something I am missing, or is it safe to say my Commander Pro's LED ports were bad from the start? I have the SATA and USB connectors connected properly. I have double checked everything. Fan speed control works using the temperature readings from the Commander Pro... but Corsair Link just does not pick it up whatsoever.

FYI the LED always stays off on the Commander Pro. Is it supposed to be on?

XR5OT.png

hHPyw.png

Is anything plugged in to the USB ports on the Commander Pro?

And ... how are you powering the Commander Pro? Is it via a molex-to-SATA adapter? Or straight SATA from the power supply?

Can you take a look in USBDView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) and see if it shows the Commander Pro, even as disconnected? The Vendor ID is 1b1c and the Product ID is 0c10.

Finally, the CoPro has a 2 year warranty so while it may be past your return period, you might still be able to get an RMA.

Is anything plugged in to the USB ports on the Commander Pro?

And ... how are you powering the Commander Pro? Is it via a molex-to-SATA adapter? Or straight SATA from the power supply?

Can you take a look in USBDView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) and see if it shows the Commander Pro, even as disconnected? The Vendor ID is 1b1c and the Product ID is 0c10.

Finally, the CoPro has a 2 year warranty so while it may be past your return period, you might still be able to get an RMA.

It doesn't show Commander Pro there at all, yet Link software is detecting the H110i and Lighting Node Pro, which are both connected to the Commander Pro. :/ It forwards the USB headers and the fans are all running which are connected to the Commander Pro. I can even change the LED's of the H110i CPU pump. But the CPro is not interfacing with the computer at all it seems..

And how are you powering the Commander Pro? Is it via a molex-to-SATA adapter? Or straight SATA from the power supply?

The micro controller uses the 3.3V rail that is in a full SATA power connection but is not in a molex-to-sata adapter. Other components will use the 5V and the 12V rails. Fans, for example, will use the 12V rail.

The LNP does not use the 3.3V rail; it only uses the 5V rail, so this will work just fine with a molex-to-sata adapter.

And how are you powering the Commander Pro? Is it via a molex-to-SATA adapter? Or straight SATA from the power supply?

The micro controller uses the 3.3V rail that is in a full SATA power connection but is not in a molex-to-sata adapter. Other components will use the 5V and the 12V rails. Fans, for example, will use the 12V rail.

The LNP does not use the 3.3V rail; it only uses the 5V rail, so this will work just fine with a molex-to-sata adapter.

Sorry, I am powering it directly from the SATA cable that came with the RM1000i.

I strongly suspect that you should try the RMA channel but before that, let's look at one more thing.

Can you download USBDView (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html) and run it? Look for Vendor ID 1b1c and Product ID 0c10.

I did last night. I should have clarified. Neither the device name nor that VEN/DEV ID is in the list. So Windows isn't even picking up the main device itself, but the Corsair USB HUB (the 2.0 header hub) and the H110i are being picked up, as well as the Lighting Node Pro.

I came across something else weird though, when I redid my system last night. I unplugged my RM1000i power supply from one of the two motherboard USB 2.0 headers (the other one is where my Commander Pro is plugged into), and I plugged in a second Lighting Node Pro which I am using for the time being for the LL140's RGB hub I wanted to use separate from my HD RGB hub.

Get this: the second Lighting Node Pro isn't being detected by Corsair Link either. Only the first one is. The second one doesn't show up in USBDView either. Does the Lighting Node Pro have to be connected to the Corsair Commander Pro headers?

Be aware, I have had this problem across two entirely different motherboards and CPU's. (Fresh windows 10 installs)

EDIT: I just found a post stating Z370's are having issues with Link. That's what I have with my new build. :S

EDIT 2: I've updated my build info.

EDIT 3: I am also having the fan ramp up/down issue only when Corsair Link software is running, as per this and another thread: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173242

LNP shouldn't need to be connected to the Commander Pro headers to work.

And I may have missed it but I'm not aware of issues with Z370. There are known issues with the AMD platforms (X399 and X370) that use the AsMedia USB chips for USB 2.0.

If, however, the devices don't show up in USBDView, Link won't be able to "see" them or connect to them at all; they aren't detected by Windows and, therefore, don't have the HID drivers initialized. Link uses the HID drivers to communicate with the devices; there's no super-secret-squirrel-sauce that would allow Link to bypass the Windows driver infrastructure.

Question: did you install the chipset INF files from Gigabyte (10.1.1.45) or are you running with what Windows installed on installation?

LNP shouldn't need to be connected to the Commander Pro headers to work.

And I may have missed it but I'm not aware of issues with Z370. There are known issues with the AMD platforms (X399 and X370) that use the AsMedia USB chips for USB 2.0.

If, however, the devices don't show up in USBDView, Link won't be able to "see" them or connect to them at all; they aren't detected by Windows and, therefore, don't have the HID drivers initialized. Link uses the HID drivers to communicate with the devices; there's no super-secret-squirrel-sauce that would allow Link to bypass the Windows driver infrastructure.

Question: did you install the chipset INF files from Gigabyte (10.1.1.45) or are you running with what Windows installed on installation?

I installed the Chipset INF drivers first thing before installing other drivers. I restarted every time I was asked to restart as well, instead of installing more things and then restarting.

I just noticed in my screenshot that on the "Connected" line for VEN 1B1C DEV 1C0D it says "No", what device is that? It just says USB Input Device for me. Looks like a hub of sorts. Every one of my USB 2.0 headers I have (the two on the mobo and two on the Commander Pro) have a connector plugged into it. EDIT: I bet it's my USB passthrough port on my K95 Corsair keyboard. NVM.

YH7xZ.png

Actually 1c0d is a RM1000i ... so the PSU.

Which I unplugged in favor of the 2nd Lighting Node Pro... funny that I found out a couple hours ago that I forgot to actually plug IN the 2nd LNP to the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard... so at least now I can control the 2nd LNP. But the Commander Pro is still undetected. I even checked to make sure the cable IS actually connected from the Commander Pro to the motherboard and that it IS actually that cable that is plugged in. ugh... It's been a long weekend. lol.

Is the light on the Commander Pro supposed to be completely off?

Which I unplugged in favor of the 2nd Lighting Node Pro... funny that I found out a couple hours ago that I forgot to actually plug IN the 2nd LNP to the USB 2.0 header on the motherboard... so at least now I can control the 2nd LNP. But the Commander Pro is still undetected. I even checked to make sure the cable IS actually connected from the Commander Pro to the motherboard and that it IS actually that cable that is plugged in. ugh... It's been a long weekend. lol.

Is the light on the Commander Pro supposed to be completely off?

Yes ... it only lights up when it's communicating with another device ... something like that. It's not an indicator that the device is working.

So I guess I just need to RMA my Commander Pro. :/

At this point, yeah, I think so. Windows doesn't "see" the device at all and so Link isn't going to "see" it either. One way or another, the CoPro itself isn't connecting to USB, even though it's USB hub is.

I'm fairly positive that the hub and the Commander Pro device are on two different physical USB ports. If you look at the connector for the CoPro, it uses both USB ports that it's connected to - unlike the cooler, which only uses one of the connected ports. In your case, it looks like one of those connections is kerfluffled.

• 2 weeks later...

No response in 2 weeks? Wow!! Well that time does include a big holiday so maybe they are just backed up. Hopefully one of the reps that monitor this forum can get your RMA moving.

I will say yours is the first case I have seen where it actually turned our to be a hardware problem. The vast majority (all?) of threads I have read in which a hardware swap is tried end up with the hardware not being the problem, (with the exception of LED fans). Seen a few people fry Commander Pros by using the wrong power cables but never an actual bad Commander Pro. Congratulations!!

Archived