Corsair Community

CX500 v2 power cuts out randomly

4s0

My computer was working for about 3 weeks perfectly until it started shutting off for no obvious reason. After shutting off the fan starts up again and stops 0-3 times and then it doesn't work at all.

The first time this happened I cycled the PSU power and it worked fine for about a day. Now it shuts off after between 1 second and 10 minutes depending on how long I leave it alone.

I tried removing each.memory stick and the video card and it still does it. It is not a problem with either of those or the motherboard I believe because it boots fine and runs until it randomly shuts off.

I can't think of any other cause than the PSU. I don't have another system or PSU to swap out with either.

I am thinking of RMAing it but I don't know if I should go through NewEgg or Corsair. I already sent a mail in rebate for it as well so I don't know how that works with RMAs. I really don't want another defective PSU so I was.considering sending it back to NewEgg for a refund and getting one from another brand because the one I currently have is unreliable and I'm not sure I want another. I heard Corsair is a good brand, but now I'm not so convinced.

It very well could be the MB too. I would check the voltages on the PSU with a multimeter to see exactly what they are. That would give you a definitive answer.*shrugs*

Just checked after I let it die again. Shorting the green wire to a ground wire gave no response. After letting it sit for a while I tried again and it worked. All voltages are correct so the problem only occurs under load and now I know it is 100% the PSU.

Archived