Corsair Community

Question about Hydro H150i PRO RGB connection to ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Ryzen X470-F

scopio

Hello people my first post in the Corsair Users Forum.:newbie:

First time building a gaming rig and especially with AIO_PUMP and RGB products so apologies for my ignorance in these matters.

Soon I will be building a new pc and installing a Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB to an ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Ryzen X470-F GAMING AM4 ATX which has the following 4 pin fan headers, CPU, CPU-Optional, AIO, Water pump and 3 chassis headers.

Reading DevBiker Liquid Cooler FAQ B. FAN HEADER POWERED COOLERS for the specific coolers list therein he points out in B 1 My motherboard has an AIO_PUMP fan header. Can I use that? that “You may but you’ll need to disable the CPU Fan speed warning in your BIOS. The AIO_PUMP headers are standard fan headers that are set, by default to 100%/12V mode. Because of this, they do work well for these coolers. However, using the CPU_FAN header will give you a warning in the event of a total pump failure so this is the recommended installation option.” Which as I understand it, for the listed coolers it is recommended that you use the CPU_ FAN header. AS I will be fitting a Hydro H150i PRO RGB does this applies too or can I use the AIO header, although I do not wish to disable the CPU Fan speed warning in your BIOS as I prefer to get a warning in the event of a total pump failure.

So, my question is do I use the AIO_PUMP header or the CPU_FAN header?

Use the AIO_PUMP Header and Disable the CPU_FAN header. I Have run with that since 2012.

If it ever should happen that you will get an total pump failure, then the system would simply just get to hot and shut down. (That has never failed for my sake, and you can always see AIO pump speed and fan speeds in link software or iCue. :sunglasse

For the H150i PRO cooler, you get no advantage from the AIO_PUMP header; it's not powered from the fan headers. Put it on CPU_FAN. It eliminates the warning and gives you an error in the event of catastrophic error.

It's not about seeing your fan speeds outside of iCUE. It's about having a slap-you-upside-the-head error in the event of catastrophic failure.

On the other hand, the exact same thing will happen when you run from CPU_FAN, except you will get a BIOS warning on boot if the pump fails at power on. Then you don't have to wait for it to hit critical and shutdown. As far as the pump operation goes, it makes no difference and the power and lighting will come from the SATA line. The "3 pin" connector will report a speed to the motherboard and also address the CPU Boot Fan Error - nothing more.

However, you may want to give some consideration as to what you'll do with the vacant header. On most Asus boards, CPU and its copycat OPT are hopelessly tied to CPU temperature, with several additional hidden control parameters that make it really hard to use for normal case fans. What you can do with the AIO or W_Pump header varies from board to board. It is now more common you can uncheck the permanent 100% signal in the Advanced BIOS->Monitoring section. However, this still usually results in a fan that can only be controlled by CPU temperature and thus inferior to all your other CHA fan headers. On the bright side, it won't have the hidden parameters of CPU/OPT and could be used in some situations for a normal case fan. Really Asus needs to stop messing around this AIO/W_Pump stuff and go back to giving us CPU/OPT and 4-5 working CHA fan headers.

It's not that you shouldn't use AIO or W_PUMP, but the CHA fan headers offer more control and better options. Unfortunately, you usually only have 2 or maybe 3 of those these days, so another one might be needed. If it made sense, I was use splitter for a group of similar fans anyway (top exhaust/front intake/bottom) where you don't need individual fan control. If this is for the 750D with 2x140 front, H150i top (on its on fan controller) and 1x140 rear, you don't need anymore CHA fan headers, even if you do add bottom fans.

Archived