Corsair Community

H100 High temperatures on intel Burn test this can't be normal...

Cheva

I'm getting temps on the lowest standard setting in Intel burn test 100c and higher on my new h100 within a few seconds of starting the test it jumps to these temperatures while all four of my push pull fans are at their highest setting. The cpu is only overclocked to 4.5ghz and I've seen people easily reach this and get no higher then 60c with a h100. I get idle temps of 30c though which is basically a 3.4ghz temp since the cpu is set to downclock on idle.

1. Bad CPU?

2. Thermal Paste? I used my cooler on the external build and took it apart after everything worked? Are you supposed to put new paste on after removing a cooler when I removed it the paste was still liquidy and kinda slimed off a bit.

3. I have no idea bad h100?... thank you for any help if anyone could give troubleshooting steps and they don't work my last resort will be the stock intel air cooler to see if it is the h100.

Use new paste every time you have to remove the cooler from the CPU, make sure you are also cleaning off all the old paste on both the CPU and cooler, this stuff will work, do not use your finger to apply paste, any oil from your finger is not good, I cut off a finger off a rubber glove and use that.

But the high temps your getting are not good, it seems more likely that you are not seating the cooler properly, make sure you have the right stand offs set, the four that all look the same size are for intel board setup.

Make sure you have the three pin fan connection plugged into the CPU fan connection on your board, make sure you plug in the four pin molex connector, this starts and runs the pump.

Use new paste every time you have to remove the cooler from the CPU, make sure you are also cleaning off all the old paste on both the CPU and cooler, this stuff will work, do not use your finger to apply paste, any oil from your finger is not good, I cut off a finger off a rubber glove and use that.

But the high temps your getting are not good, it seems more likely that you are not seating the cooler properly, make sure you have the right stand offs set, the four that all look the same size are for intel board setup.

Make sure you have the three pin fan connection plugged into the CPU fan connection on your board, make sure you plug in the four pin molex connector, this starts and runs the pump.

Is your radiator getting warm at all? Check at the point that each hose goes into the radiator and see if it is getting a bit warm there.

Ok now I'm getting cpu temps of 48.5 idle... god I wish I didn't change anything and now my m/b temp has risen slowly 6 degrees. Did I do something wrong or is AS 5 that terrible? Also yellowbeard no the radiator is fine.

I Put in a rush/next day order on newegg for tuniqe x-2 this is a better compound correct? I see it can make up to 10c+ difference in cpu temp, I wish I knew AS5 was outdated but that stupid AS5 had so many positive reviews I assumed it was the best. I'll just wait till I have this for a reapply. Also noticed when I got into my pc that my brackets were loose on my h100 could this have caused the problem or is it more likely me not changing the paste after removing the cooler? or is my h100 not good at keeping my cpu cool under stress.

Could my loose brackets have caused it? Does the seating of the cooler cause problems like that? It's hard positioning the h100 correctly because of those tubes and then screwing everything in squarely with new paste. Is it better to take the radiator out and screw the cooler on first with the new paste? I know all the cables are fine btw.

Also yellowbeard no the radiator is fine.

What do you mean by fine? If it is NOT warm then it could mean a pump failure. The radiator should get warm as the fluid inside warms up.

Could my loose brackets have caused it?

Absolutely!! If it's not tight against the CPU it can not transfer heat as effectively.

or is it more likely me not changing the paste after removing the cooler?

Also could be part of the issue with higher temps after the second re-fit. If the paste is not evenly distributed or not enough remains on the cooler/cpu temps will rise.

Is it better to take the radiator out and screw the cooler on first with the new paste? I know all the cables are fine btw.

Just use enough finger pressure to tighten them down EVENLY. It's also not a bad idea to re-check the screws after a stress test or a few hours of operation. Expansion and contraction of the cooling surfaces can cause the screws to loosen.

There are MANY ways to apply the TIM. Best bet is to use the instructions provided by the TIM manufacturer. Personally i use the pea-sized amount in the center of the CPU method. When you install the pump it will spread evenly.

BTW AS5 should be just fine. It's not going to make any difference in temps except for MAYBE a couple of degrees. My guess is you either put too much on or did not get the pump head on correctly.

Thanks a lot peanut hmm, does it take awhile for the radiator to get warm? I was only checking it after it was on for a few minutes when it was idle or because heat wasn't properly being transferred possibly like you said in the first place. I guess I'll retry the AS5 since I can't wait for that TX-2. Thanks again I'll come back with the results.

Ok so this is weird, it seems my z68 fatality mobo cpu reading is different from my core temp software and real temp software, by about 15c , and now my h100 seems to be better at keeping my temps better below my max temp of 99c+ before on the intel burn test 5 round maximum setting.But it still fluctuates erratically between the 70-98c range am I supposed to wait for as5 to set in or something? Also how warm should the radiator be, I feel some warmth but not much. Also at random times it seems to stay stable at 75-79c range then pops back up to the 90s range. Standard intel test is similiar only it keeps it in that 75c range more often. My idle temps are similiar to before only a few degrees difference. in the 29-34c range. SO which is correct my mobo cpu temp or software temp?

OKAY great news my temps seem to stay stable under 80c in the 65-79c range! On intel max burn test! I could only hope with the new paste coming it can do even better and I can overclock my cpu a little higher then 4.5ghz. Though I'm still not sure which temp reading is correct this or my mobo bios.

I'm guessing it was how the cooler was set like you all said. I discovered a lot of things were loose. The screws that go in the mobo were loose as well as the screws that tie in the cooler. Thanks a lot for everyone's help!

Archived