Corsair Community

Problems with Corsair Performance 3 SSD

Hello,

I have been having problems with my ssd I bought 3 months ago. It's a P3-128 and yesterday was the second time it had a read error of some sort and I had to do a secure erase with a backup restore.

At the moment I image the drive 2 times a week, because I'm afraid to lose my data.

I noticed the problem during Acronis (2011) backup runs. When Acronis images the drive it gets suddenly stuck and the whole system becomes unresponsive (have to switch the computer off). Tried to analyse the drive, it apparently contains unrecoverable errors (read with clonezilla which behaves better than Acronis regarding errors). At this point only a secure erase + last good backup restore works.

Ok two times in 3 months is a failure rate of 1/1,5 months, which is really not acceptable for a new drive (and I lose a whole evening restoring the drive).

What should I do? Is the drive defective? Does Acronis break the drive during some backups?

Looking at other threads it seems to be a not so uncommon problem. I hope it is not a hardware problem.

Thank you for any help you will be able to provide,

Manu

Yes, they did. Not sure if it's an acronis problem though as clonezilla also found the errors; perhaps acronis found the error because during the disk imaging it reads the whole disk and it's the only application that does an extensive read like this.

If it's an acronis problem, I hope it won't happen again because of the recent update.

Manu

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I had to blank and restore an image to the SSD again. So this shows me that I have to reset the SSD every 2 months; I'm not very happy about this because I cannot rely on your drive and I risk data loss.

This time the symptom and the cause were different:

I had disabled the hibernate function because of the large memory image file it puts on the C drive. For some reason, probably after a windows update, this function was restored taking 8GB free space from my disk without me noticing. Time went by and I decided to add 8GB of RAM to my computer. This made my computer very slow so I deduced a RAM problem.

What happened: The hibernate image file went from 8GB to 16GB, the free space on the drive from 20GB to 12GB which made the drive VERY slow (in average 10MB/s tranfer rate). Disabling the hibernate function again, thus freeing up 16GB, did not help. I had to blank the disk and restore an image (image I do 2 times a week because of the poor reliability of your drive).

For me it seems your drive does not handle border conditions very well, perhaps there are bugs in your firmware, one thing is for sure I don't know if it will help to send the drive back if the model has a design flaw.

By the way, I found out during the incidents that the reads from the disk were much slower than the writes, eliminating the possibility of poor performance because of dirty nand cells.

What do you recommend I should do?

Best regards,

Manu

There is no firmware available for the performance p3 (I don't have the sandforce model)

Manu

Hi.

Which Marvell driver do you got?

Mine says 91xx. And this after the update.

Btw. I have used Acronis before. I stop using it when it starts freeze under oparation. This with an HDD.

Corsair is no longer performing RMA for the Performance 3 series. If you RMA you will obtain a Force3.

Must have found an issue with the series.

This is not correct. The 64GB Performance 3 drives are currently not available. Therefore we have sent some customers the Force Series 3 equivalent. There is no issue with the Performance 3 series drives.

• 1 month later...

It happened again, this time a freeze at startup;defective sectors on disk! Will a replacement drive be more reliable? I'm seriously thinking about sending it back. Could you please tell me how to do it? The drive is working fine again (after secure erasing it and restoring a backup) and I don't want the shop to tell me the drive works fine.

If I would have to evaluate the time lost restoring this drive versus the time gained during the loading of applications and OS the balance would be negative.

Manu

Would there be a new firmware to P3 128 GB? Or is there no movement for a fw release? My drive is working alright (maybe I`m lucky with this copy) so far. Got some bsod when using IE9 x64. I don`t bother using it. Firefox is stone stable.

I find it strange that Corsair not have an upgrade for the drive. Seems that they find it unnecassary when issues are minimal. Would like they increase better performance and more reliable drive.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok. I got a refurbished drive with an 1.1 firmware apparently.

Less than a week after installing it I got an error. This time it's a great improvement because the System does not freeze but I get an ugly read error instead.

Exactly what I actually thought, this drive has a design error and you cannot do anything about it.

Would it be possible to replace it by a different drive model?

Manu

Ok. I got a refurbished drive with an 1.1 firmware apparently.

Less than a week after installing it I got an error. This time it's a great improvement because the System does not freeze but I get an ugly read error instead.

Exactly what I actually thought, this drive has a design error and you cannot do anything about it.

Would it be possible to replace it by a different drive model?

Manu

What error? I`m curious what you say about design error? I`ve no problem with my P3 and it runs alright.

It's the second P3 I have and it does exactly the same as the first -> random sectors that get bad. It's true that scientifically speaking I cannot claim to a statistical correct observation. But for me this drive has a design flaw as 100% of my drives failed because of read errors.

So I am very happy for you that you have a good drive, but for me this model has only been pure **** so far as I lost a lot of time on this and it was very expensive.

Sorry to have hurt your feelings.

Manu

Archived