Corsair Community

Corsair ssd drive with native garbage collection support

BR Mallick

Hi I am planning to buy corsair ssd drive (GT 180) on windows vista machine which doesn't support TRIM. Can anyone pl tell me if the drive supports native garbage collection or suggest any other corsair drive which does so, so that I can continue using ssd drive on windows vista & don't have to spend on windows 7 or 8. Thanks.

Hi thanks for the prompt clarification. Actually I read the following user review/comment on intel 520 series SSD, so wanted to confirm that I don't lose out on this if I am using corsair Force GT 180.

Built in circuitry negates the need for TRIM, September 7, 2012

What made me choose this drive is the SandForce 520 chipset. It has built-in garbage collection that renders the need for TRIM drivers needless. The OS shouldn't have to do drive maintenance anyway, that should be the drive's job, which means fewer drivers for the OS to have running in memory...

Also, computer owners running a SSD without its own garbage collection or without TRIM enabled is begging for trouble: A SSD's effective lifespan would plummet, since these devices can only be written to a certain number of times before they "wear out", and garbage collection organizes and optimizes where and how the drives are written to. Until SandForce, only TRIM was the solution, and not available for all customers who use the drive,

Further does corsair offers the software solutions toolbox, migration software etc., which intel provides or I can use intel software on corsair ssd drive.? Pl, reply I am buying my drive tomorrow only.

• Corsair Employee
No there is no option for the SSD tolls from us but there are many tolls you can use that are open source available on line. However, I have been using SSD';s for almost 4 years now and never needed anything more the Parted Magic or in one system I use Diskeeper Professional as I have them in a RAID and it will replace the TRIM function on that system.

Archived