Corsair Community

HX620W won't work with new motherboard

Blista

Hi,

My HX620w PSU refuses to work with my new motherboard. The PSU does still work with the motherboard I've been using for the last few years though.

I had returned the new motherboard to be checked and no faults were found with it, so I believe it must be a PSU problem. I've tried using both the 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power connector, in case it was a problem with the 8-pin which my old motherboard does not use. The PSU fan does not spin and there is no reaction from the motherboard other than the standby LED flashing.

I've checked for other problems, such as grounding or shorting issues, but I couldn't find anything. I tried it with the new motherboard outside of the case and with only basic needed components but each time I get the same result.

I can't figure out why it would work seemingly fine with my old motherboard but not the new one, given both motherboards work correctly.

Is there any way to find out what might be wrong?

What is the make and model of MB and will it post with another PSU and have you tried to update the MB BIOS?

It's an Asus P8Z77-M. Being a new model there's no updated BIOS yet. I haven't got a spare PSU to try it myself, but when I returned it for testing they said it worked fine for them.

also sometimes new motherboards are shipped with the bios jumper in the reset position and wont boot.

i hope its something simple for ya since the PSU seems ok from the test.

maybe even the power header jumper on the MB ?

The motherboard is being returned to me on Monday so I'll at least know it's in a proper working state then. Chances are it'll start no problem and I'll just have to put it down to my own incompetence. :laughing:

Yeah, already tried those but no result. I've double checked every thing I can think of but nothing seems to make a difference. With or without RAM and graphics card, in or out of the case, checked the wiring and connectors, reseated CPU, and probably more but I can't remember now. And yet I plug back in the old motherboard and everything starts up just fine every single time. :confused:

I may see if a local PC shop will let me borrow a PSU or just take the motherboard in to them to try.

• Corsair Employee
The New MB's like this are using ATX 2.1 to 2.3 specification for PSU's and the HX620 is built to the ATX 2.03 specification but is compatible with ATX 2.1 so I am not sure why it will not work. But I suspect it may be something to do with this. And I am sorry to say if so there is not much we can do about it, but you might try another PSU with that MB and see if you can update the MB BIOS.

I think I might have worked it out and I am just waiting to get another PSU to confirm it. The HX620 is making an electrical "pop" noise when switched on. After a bit of research it seems to be a known problem for these PSUs.

Thanks for the help guys. :):

I've contacted customer service but with the cost of mailing the PSU to Hong Kong I'm going to have to think about whether it's even worth sending.

• 1 month later...
Is there a time limit on returning items after starting an RMA? I've been so busy I haven't sent the PSU yet. I couldn't find a time limit mentioned but thought I better check before sending it off this week.

• 2 months later...
Hi,

My HX620w PSU refuses to work with my new motherboard. The PSU does still work with the motherboard I've been using for the last few years though.

I had returned the new motherboard to be checked and no faults were found with it, so I believe it must be a PSU problem. I've tried using both the 4-pin and 8-pin CPU power connector, in case it was a problem with the 8-pin which my old motherboard does not use. The PSU fan does not spin and there is no reaction from the motherboard other than the standby LED flashing.

I've checked for other problems, such as grounding or shorting issues, but I couldn't find anything. I tried it with the new motherboard outside of the case and with only basic needed components but each time I get the same result.

I can't figure out why it would work seemingly fine with my old motherboard but not the new one, given both motherboards work correctly.

Is there any way to find out what might be wrong?

Have you managed to solve the problem?

I have the same setup as you (CPU, MB, PSU and memory) and is experiencing the exact sam problem, Flashing SB-led and no other reaction.

Archived