Corsair Community

transfer old system disk image to ssd

BCalif

Is it possible to image my existing non-SSD system disk to my new Force GT/240 SSD. I tried using Ghost 15 to do this but didn't seem to work. The system didn't recognize it as a boot device though the BIOS did see it. I was in AHCI mode and as far as I can tell everything seemed set up appropriately. If its possible, I would appreciate a simple but thorough procedure that I can follow as this is my first SSD experience.

I did install a new Win7 OS from mfg disk and it is working, though performance seem a little off. I hate to have to go this route and reload all my programs/data.

Thanks!

It would probably be better to do a clean install of Windows 7, Install all your programs and data then make a Image of the drive so if you ever needed to re-install something you can re-image the SSD using the image you made.

Google "transfer OS to SSD" and there should be some tutorials

eg like this one

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/149969-ssd-install-transfer-operating-system.html

Thanks Toasted

This was just what I was looking for. And while I appreciate the "new" install versus "transfer" delima, I have a lot of programs I don't want to have to deal with in the near term and it's nice to know there might be a way to avoid starting over right now.

By the way, I did do a fresh OS (Win7) install just to verify the SSD functionality (no activation, registration, etc) and was disappointed with speeds of my Force GT. However, I did notice that the tutorial you directed me to indicated that I should partition/format my disk first. I didn't do that step, I simply put my Win7 disk from MSoft into my machine and proceded with the install as usual, allowing it to format the disk and erase my initial failed attempt to transfer the old OS from my HDD. Could this explain my lower than expected sequential read/write speeds of around 380 bps? I had expected closer to the advertised 500 bps. I assume my failure to initially format the SSD prior to migrating my old OS likely explains why my BIOS would see the SSD, but it wouldn't show as a boot drive when booting up.

In any case, thanks for this good response.

Don't have ATTO yet. Here is CrystalMark info on my old OS migrated to SSD (I got that to work). About same as with a fresh install of Win7 alone. I'm having trouble getting my system info to show in the preview post, but I've filled it out and will look at settings on profile. I'll run/post ATTO once I get it and install it.

Thanks

837308342_ForceGTCrystalMark042712_Migrate.png.e7c91094f0ab0574d16c73f75e860206.png

btw, just to give props to Acronis backup and recovery, i made a backup image of my laptops spinning drive to an external drive,made a recovery disk, (CD) installed my 160GT and restored to the new drive. it went flawlessly.

Acronis True Image Home? Which year?

Actually, the CrystalMark speeds I see after the OS transfer are within 20 to 30 of the fresh install speeds I got. I didn't have ATTO at the time so have no reference there. I'm just disappointed that I'm not closer to the published specs on this unit. That was the primary decision issue when purchasing it. 500+ for read or write and I'm getting 100- below those in my system. I've done most of the tweaks and tips I've found, verified AHCI and TRIM settings, scratched my head (and other parts) and just can't figure why me?

Could Corsaif tech support help here?

Hi all

BCalif, did you update you motherboard bios to last update?

As it improve compatiblility and stability of system

Look cerfully at model and version of you ASUS P8P67, because the don't use the same bios.

As for the driver Asus ave only driver Version 10.5.0.1026

You could get at less the version 11.0.0.1032 from intel website.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

Archived