Corsair Community

Re-using an used SSD in another computer. What am I missing here?

ademarfj

As a newbie, maybe I am posting some stupid question, but I guarantee that I have looked for solutions before posting.

So, I was using this Corsair Nova Series V128, 128GB in my desktop and it was working fine. I also have an old notebook (some couple of years old, an Acer Aspire 5100) which was using a regular 120GB HDD. So I decided to upgrade my desktop with a Force GT 120GB SSD, which was successfully installed and is running fine.

But... problem starts here when I tried to replace the notebooks HDD with the SSD (I had already my notebook run with a ******** SSD some time ago and it worked fine, but for some reason I had to return to the HDD). I thought I was only supposed to replace the HDD of the notebook with the V128 "old" SSD (about 1 year old) and either 1) do a new windows 7 installation or 2) clone the HDD. Well I tried both using the regular ways (using Acronis to clone => no success). Then I tried to "reset" the SSD and start form zero installing Windows 7 x86. I found out that I was supposed to use Parted Magic, which I did. The SSD was frozen, I found a way to "defreeze" it (and it was not allowing Parted Magic to put the computer in the sleep state, it didn´t work). The solution (found in another thread, was to disconnect the SSD for a minute or so and then plug it again -> it worked and I was able, using Parted Magic, to fill my SSD with lots of "nulls".

So apparently the SSD had returned to factory sets. Then I tried to install windows. Here is where I am stuck.

1) Having just one partition created, the system is not capable of formatting it. I got the following message during windows installation (already looked it up on Google, but nothing helped): “ Windows couldn´t format a partition in disk 0. Error occurred when preparing the selected partition for installation. Error code: 0x80070057”

So, I guess I am missing some little and stupid thing here. If someone could help me, please! I have already spent 2 days on that.

Well,

I tried to follow a suggestion posted in some other forums, using DISKPART, exactly as follows:

"1) Go back to the first screen (of the Win7 install) and go to the repair section, let it try and repair, then get to the Command Prompt.

2) Once in the Command Prompt, run DISKPART

3) Then type in each line below and press enter after each command. You'll have to wait for the format, it will take a while.

4) LIST DISK

5) SELECT DISK # (where # is the corresponding disk number that you want to install Windows onto from the list you just pulled up)

6) CLEAN

7) CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

8) SELECT PARTITION 1

9) ACTIVE

10) FORMAT FS=NTFS

WELL, NOW I STUCK HERE, WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE: "Diskpart has encoutered an error: The parameter is incorrect. See the System Event Log for more information."

- which parameter is incorrect? I have no idea.

- how can I access the System Event Log? No idea

- anyway, many others have said in the other forums to having stuck here, like me, same error message. I couldn´t find any progress googling.

From this point, I didn´t continue with the following steps.

11) ASSIGN

12) EXIT

13) CD\

14) SETUP

15) That will take you back to the initial screen, then run the setup from there. Do not try to change the partitions or reformat, when it asks what disk you want to install 7 onto, just select the disk and press next.

I would really really appreciate if someone could help me solving this issue. I guess I have already lost too much time in a thing that seems very little.

1) Go back to the first screen (of the Win7 install) and go to the repair section, let it try and repair, then get to the Command Prompt.

3) Then type in each line below and press enter after each command. You'll have to wait for the format, it will take a while.

4) LIST DISK

5) SELECT DISK # (where # is the corresponding disk number that you want to install Windows onto from the list you just pulled up)

type Exit

type Exit

Continue with normal installation.

1) Go back to the first screen (of the Win7 install) and go to the repair section, let it try and repair, then get to the Command Prompt.

4) LIST DISK

type Exit

type Exit

Continue with normal installation.

Thanks for the reply. If you see above, I had done almost exactly what you suggested, except for the CLEAN, SELECT PARTITION AND SO ON. Anyway, I also tried exactly as you said (I am starting to look for lucky charms too at this point and doing anything anyone tells me to do).

Bad news: it didn´t work either.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Toasted, the only one willing to help.

I tried creating the partition on the desktop and the problem was similar.

Anyway, I solved my problem. I had a Kingston SSD in one of my desktops, a SSD which I had already used in my notebook. The solution was: exchange SSDs: Kingston to Notebook, Corsair to Desktop. To my surprise, there was no, no one little problem, installing the Kingston on the Notebook. I can´t explain. Maybe Corsair "doesn´t like notebooks"? Maybe Kingston does? Really, I can´t explain I didn´t find any help on the internet which could make the Corsair SSD work in my notebook. Since the issue is closed, though not in the desired way, I consider the case closed. Tks.

Archived