Corsair Community

Can't install windows or update firmware force 3

DA1

Hi guys, perhaps someone here knows, I hope. Anyway, I bought a new computer with an SSD Corsair 60gb, the drive was underperforming in benchmarks, so I formatted it, then the drive became lost to windows, meaning the win setup could not find it, seemed to be dead. Then I installed win on a second drive, after unplugging the SSD. The SSD then shows up and works fine as a second drive. Perhaps this is a problem with the boot portion of the SSD. However there is more, if I leave the SSD installed and try to reformat the new drive which is working fine, this drive shows up in the win installation, but can not be assigned a partition, so it becomes useless and both drives are dead (or so it seems) Now if I unplug the SSD, then the win format and drive installation to the new drive works. Tried this several times and it is always the same, seems like there is a virus on the SSD, but I was able to format it the first time, which should have cleared everything............Any clues, the interesting thing, is that if I did not open the case and unplug this drive, the entire computer would be useless, even after installing the new drive. Anyone ever seen this? Signed, grey and balding fast. If you do not understand the above, join the crowd, but it is happening. Any help is appreciated.

Hello again, I have a 60gb force 3 here that I can not install windows too. I currently have it running as a data drive under a working 7200rpm hard drive. I am trying to update the firmware, however the scanner can not find any drive there.....................What gives here, this drive is perfectly useless, and was shipped from a computer manufacturer that way. I formatted windows off of it in the first place, because it was running slow, then I could not get windows back on it. What is the process to update my firmware. If I run the AHCI windows tool, I am going to change something on my working boot drive, which will highly likely make it not work as well, if I try to boot from this corsair, well booting from a drive that can not be found is impossible.

Any help would be appreciated.................

It's impossible to assist you without your system information. Please put your system specifications into your dropdown menu as requested at registration.

What if I had six computers and had this drive in three of them as well as in an exterior drive reader. Then any particular system would not be relevant, but the problem would be in the drive, is this correct?

No, as you could be having the same issue on each PC (using the same SATA cable, attempting to update the firmware on a non-Intel / AMD SATA slot, not running the application as admin, etc).

Secure erase the drive and then make sure you're putting it in an AMD / Intel port.

No, as you could be having the same issue on each PC (using the same SATA cable, attempting to update the firmware on a non-Intel / AMD SATA slot, not running the application as admin, etc).

Secure erase the drive and then make sure you're putting it in an AMD / Intel port.

Exactly where would one put an L shaped sata cable, if not in an L sata port? The only error one could even make is to put a 6g device in a 3g port, and I assure you that they are different colors on the board for a reason, and that I and the computer manufacturer both had them in the right ports. The fact of the matter is that I have done everything that has been ask, and this drive can not be found, except by windows running on a Western Digital 7200 drive, actually by two different windows setups run on WD drives. Seriously, answer me this one question. Could this force 3 Corsair drive be defective, thus I am deserving of a refund? I am the administrator of my network, all computers all the time, from the P4, to the 3930k, with four others inbetween. What is AMD?

Who said you plugged the cable into a non-SATA port? Not I.

Please identify what motherboard you have and which SATA port it was plugged into? You earlier mentioned 6 PCs. Did you actually try it in 6 different PCs, or was that hypothetical? If the former, did you use the same SATA cable each time? Did you run the update tool as an admin (not just in an admin profile)?

As for a refund, that's the store's call, not Corsair's.

Who said you plugged the cable into a non-SATA port? Not I.

Please identify what motherboard you have and which SATA port it was plugged into? You earlier mentioned 6 PCs. Did you actually try it in 6 different PCs, or was that hypothetical? If the former, did you use the same SATA cable each time? Did you run the update tool as an admin (not just in an admin profile)?

As for a refund, that's the store's call, not Corsair's.

Gigabyte, UD3, slot 2011/3930k

I have 3 desktops and 3 laptops, the network is not hypothetical.

Used three different sata cables. (scientific method)

Plugged into the upper white sata ports, and also tried the single grey ports at the bottom of the board (6gbs), there are 6 on the board as well as 4, 3gbs ports

Ran parted magic, secure erase, seemed to work, however got the same result from the firmware update, which was no drive found. The bios finds the drive, windows finds the drive (except when in ram to install), parted magic found the drive, but again Corsairs firmware update can not find this drive. As for running the update tool, I would run this if I could boot from the Corsair, I can't, the info on the update tool says that it will change settings to my 7200rpm boot drive, which is a working drive by another manufacturer, that does not need to be updated since it is working perfectly thus changing settings to it would be dumb and completely wreckless.

Answer me this, why would this drive work normally as a second data drive under win, and not be able to be found by the same win, in the install, so as to be the boot drive? My guess is that there is physical damage to the inside of the drive, which the computer manufacturer knew about, and skirted by cloning the data. Then again since I can not see inside this drive I could be wrong, and would actually like to be so.

-Try plugging the SSD into the other 3 desktops and check if the Corsair firmware updater detects them.

If the 3 desktops all have the same error, Contact that "computer manufacturer" and ask them if they would send a replacement SSD. If not, Request an RMA.

I'm not sure why it's an issue to post at least 1 proper motherboard name that you have tried this on. Gigabyte UD3 is so vague as to be meaningless. We are here to help but we'll need more info to do it.

Gigabyte UD3, slot 2011/3930k is the most descriptive description that could be given. Provided that you understand what slot 2011, and 3930k refer too. These descriptions refer to exactly one brand and type of mobo. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128532

It's also the mobo that catches fire when lightly overclocked

and the mobo that had it's auto overclocking software features turned off by the F7 bios fix, that screws consumers and protects the company from liability, as mobo fires and recalls can really hurt a bottom line....

Which is the main reason for my attitude.

Ok, I ran a secure wipe of my 60g force 3 and was able to install windows after that. The drive seems to be working better now than when I got it from the useless computer manufacturer that I mistakenly chose. Anyway, if I change the drive type to achi and update the firmware, presuming that I can at this point, will this wipe the drive or wreck the windows installation? The instructions say not to update the firmware if not needed, and I believe that I had or still have serious problems, so I think that I should. Anyway, will this hurt the software on the drive???

Thanks

The update is designed to not be destructive and I have updated drives running my OS without issues. Of course, a good back up is ALWAYS a good idea just in case.

Well I ran the MS software, then ran the firmware update, and the drive scanner still comes up empty, thus there is no way to update this drive as it can not be found, even though I am now running windows off of it.

I wonder if this is one of the drives with the bad controllers that was recalled, and got repackaged and resold.

What more is there to do?

There were no drives with bad controllers.

Also, it's impossible to assist you further without your system specifications. Please enter them into your dropdown menu as requested at registration.

Also, be sure to read the tips given on the download page for the firmware update.

DL (download) parted magic (google, its an ISO)

burn the ISO to CD (any size cd is ok 190mb) , i used imgburn.

obvious your system needs at least a cd burner (or access to one)

this is a live linux APP (live CD)

boot CD, hit enter, normal defaults.

takes a few min. to get desktop in linux.

press start button

select, system tools, erase disk,

erase using internal disk choice,

it says, takes 2min on mine. was almost instant. (sdd are fast)

on same boot of PartedMagic i ran, the partition editor

i clicked on the Corsair line and picked, new partition and selected, NTFS

i then clicked Apply,

i rand the disk tests ,under DT disk health, last tab, passes, in 2min.

next it ran mount devices (in system tools again)

it mounted.

i then went to file manager , then back wards to media folder and

clicked on sda1(ssd) it opens and copy files to sda1 and then delete the.

the SSD is not working under linux. via my, very old Sil 3112a sata 1.5 pci card. ( just for testing)

im doing this because my Asus m2n-sli is doa for ssd. so i know know , my new ssd does work. at 1.5 speeds.

cheers and hope this helps.

There were no drives with bad controllers.

Also, it's impossible to assist you further without your system specifications. Please enter them into your dropdown menu as requested at registration.

Also, be sure to read the tips given on the download page for the firmware update.

There was a Corsair drive recall, you need to grow up, the information is all over the internet https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=corsair+drive+recall%5C&pbx=1&oq=corsair+drive+recall%5C&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1987l9787l0l9792l21l18l0l3l3l0l241l2263l0.15.2l20l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=1f0ccc1d880dd145&biw=1360&bih=566

You can dispense with the attitude. Comments like that are not necessary, not helpful, and not welcome here.

You also need to read more carefully and verify your information before trying to insult people by spouting incorrect information.

I did not say that we did not recall and replace some drives. I said that there were NO DRIVES RECALLED DUE TO BAD CONTROLLERS.

There was a manufacturing error that omitted a single component from the PCB which is what caused the issues. There were NO drives recalled due to bad controllers.

If you need assistance, as I said above, you'll need to provide more information.

Archived